• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Well, my son wants me to take him hunting, but without even watching the videos, just reading this, I want to puke, so YUK!

Somebody said they had it processed, so does that mean you don't have to do any of the cutting yourself at all?

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Well, my son wants me to take him hunting, but without even watching the videos, just reading this, I want to puke, so YUK!

Somebody said they had it processed, so does that mean you don't have to do any of the cutting yourself at all?

You still need to field strip the deer before you take it to the processor.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

if you have a processors willing to gut it for you & you can get it to them within a few hours of death you might not have to do this..
    with any animal the digestive acids will start eating the stomach & intestions shortly after death. if you do not get them out soon they will eat thru & all the meat will be bad..

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Hey OP, what region are you in? I would be happy to help out, as would others.
    I should add a video to the YouTube library. Many don't show the tricks like propping the deer's hiney up by putting its legs on the outside of yours and backing up toward the head while facing the rear. Cutting around full udders. Rolling on the side to empty cavity of blood and make the diaphragm visible for cutting. Bracing forearms on the knees to power up for splitting the sternum. Making sure to sever all connective tissue in the neck and the cavity to loosen the whole GI tract.
    It's not gross, stinky, or unpleasant. Even a shot/knicked gut is not that big a deal. At most you might lose the tenderloins to contamination.
    Never saw it done or on youtube before I did my first one, and was alone. I read about it in a book one time. Probably took me an hour! HAHAHA! Probably have done 50 of them now. Just do it, it's part of the deal. :)
    HB

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis

I have always had a weak stomache when it came to blood and guts. It was another reason for me to not watch slasher horror movies. When I went to gut my first deer, my buddies(behind my back) were betting on when I would lose my lunch. I even had my own silent questions about it. I didn't. I didn't even get queasy. Now, it doesn't even phase me. The one I got last year was at last light. I had to do a "Hanibal Lechter" gut job on it. I even kind of do a "CSI" on it now. Where did I hit the deer? What was the bullet path? What did the bullet do on the way through? Did the bullet exit and if not can I recover it? It is very interesting and educational.

Top Bottom