• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    We hunt just outside of the little town of Merrill. It is west of Saginaw about twenty miles or so. Most of the area is farmland, so it makes for some very tasty venison.

Not many bucks older than a year and a half though, due to the amount of hunters per square mile in that area.

I have not looked at Michigan deer regs for some time, but I am guessing they need to change over to something closer to Indiana, and take more does. I love Michigan and spend a lot of time snowmobiling in Northern Michigan and the UP. Some areas are so thick with deer it's crazy. But I have never seen a buck. Maybe because the antlers are so little, you can't even see the spots were they have dropped off. I did see a herd of elk finally east of Gaylord 2 years ago. Very cool.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Went out for an hour and a half after work. Was hoping to stalk some ridges but the snow and leaves were too dry and noisy for it to work. Did a ground sit, but no action. It was cold though, not North Dakota cold, but I have gotten soft since heading south.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Is it just me, but it seems like there is a serious lack of big bucks pictured here. I've got stories to tell but so far nothing to show for it. I'm curious how the overall harvest is going so far this year because where I've been hunting its been kind of slow. I believe the rut was over before opening weekend in my area.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    GetAttachmentThumbnail

A nice 11pt taken on my farm in WI. Lots of bucks around of similar size and there was one trophy, probably 160-170 inch class that was poached on my place from the road.

Neighbor saw him and confronted and guy said "he didn't care what type of fine he got to shoot a deer like that." Neighbor got license # and called CO. CO went to his house and 10 hunters were present and all denied any knowledge. CO asked what gun he hunted with and was shown a 30.06. Funny that was the same shell casing caliber CO found on the road exactly where neighbor told him deer was shot.

Gun confiscated and I am hoping like hell they find the deer and bust these a-holes. I also contacted sheriff to file a trespass complaint. Hopefully they can get for criminal trespass.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have not looked at Michigan deer regs for some time, but I am guessing they need to change over to something closer to Indiana, and take more does. I love Michigan and spend a lot of time snowmobiling in Northern Michigan and the UP. Some areas are so thick with deer it's crazy. But I have never seen a buck. Maybe because the antlers are so little, you can't even see the spots were they have dropped off. I did see a herd of elk finally east of Gaylord 2 years ago. Very cool.

Probably has less to do with bag limits and more to do with culture. I have a good friend who has family land up there. He couldn’t get his Dad to shoot a doe if his life depended on it and he was far from alone in that way of thinking up there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Probably has less to do with bag limits and more to do with culture. I have a good friend who has family land up there. He couldn’t get his Dad to shoot a doe if his life depended on it and he was far from alone in that way of thinking up there.

Yes, I would tend to agree with that assessment. I knew several hunters here in Indiana back in the day that would shoot 3-4 bucks a year(one or more illegally with other people's tags) without hesitation but wouldn't shoot a doe for fear of reducing the number of bucks they would have to hunt the next year. Thankfully most of those don't hunt any more.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I took another doe today. Once again, the shot was only about 7 yards. I don’t even know why I take my rifle… I could not believe the amount of fat on her, she has definitely been eating something good.

I did not see any bucks today, not even small ones. Good times!

dafb812dbdd9fa9706bb7d24fdd71394.jpg

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well I was hoping to have a nice deer to show but no such luck. Haven't even seen a decent buck and have only seen a couple does and spikes. It seems like all my friends and friends of friends etc have shot a nice buck. Everyday somebody is showing me pics of nice bucks. Oh well , that's hunting.

But I did manage to drop a big ole Wiley coyote with my 336 Marlin in .35 Rem. Popped him with a 200 gr corelok and he still ran about 30 yards. They are one tough animal.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I took another doe today. Once again, the shot was only about 7 yards. I don’t even know why I take my rifle… I could not believe the amount of fat on her, she has definitely been eating something good.

I did not see any bucks today, not even small ones. Good times!
    Curious, what was the effect of a .308 at such short range? Expansion/no expansion, meat damage, etc?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I didn’t recover the projectile from either deer. I go for neck shots on meat deer, so there usually isn’t the greatest evidence of terminal performance anyway. Neither round “grenaded” like you see sometimes.

I am using Hornady 155gr spire points. I shot a big bodied buck with them a couple years ago and it performed well in the chest. Good exit and nothing but jelly around the would track. So far, all but one deer has been a bang/flop.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks. Small but an 8 pointer, so met the min for our spot.
    When they run by it gets exciting, kinda hard not to dump 'em LOL.
    Not seeing many deer. This one was 17" inside spread.

Not thrilled but content.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Well I was hoping to have a nice deer to show but no such luck. Haven't even seen a decent buck and have only seen a couple does and spikes. It seems like all my friends and friends of friends etc have shot a nice buck. Everyday somebody is showing me pics of nice bucks. Oh well , that's hunting.

But I did manage to drop a big ole Wiley coyote with my 336 Marlin in .35 Rem. Popped him with a 200 gr corelok and he still ran about 30 yards. They are one tough animal.

NICE MARLIN!:drool:.......sorry but I have a thing for something the size of a Red Rider that goes BANG!!!!

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I took two doe that were 10 feet apart. Range of 13-15 yds. Unfortunately I had my Ruger Gunsite Scout 308. With 180 soft points it was pretty devastating.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just talked to a customer of mine this afternoon. He lives in western Tennessee.
    He said they do not divide up the state in counties, but rather which section of the state you're in, (North, South, East, West)
    He said there are no separate seasons for firearms and muzzle loaders, just "deer season", but what really got me was the bag limits.

Seems, at least in Western Tennessee, you are allowed 2 bucks per season, but only 1 buck per day.
    Does are an entirely different matter.
    He said they are allowed to shoot 3 does per day! No season limit, just 3 does per day, EVERY day of the season!
    If their season is 2 weeks like ours, that means they could legally take something like 42 does in one season!?!

They must have WAY too many deer down there.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Went out on the closer for one last hurrah, the wind was swirling terribly so I wasn’t surprised I didn’t see anything. Did manage to drop my Nikon binoculars in the lake which was less than ideal. Doubt they’re going to be able to be brought back to life.

Top Bottom