• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm kind of on the fence this year. Out of the 3 bucks I was watching, all survived firearms season. No one near me muzzleloader hunts, or late bow hunts, so chances are good they all survive the year, and are bigger next. I have 1 deer I believe to be 5.5, and is a hoss. I think my hit list of 3 just became a hit list of 1, and let the other 2 (believe they are 4.5) grow up and bother year.

That said, one of the 4.5 year olds is closer to 160 than 150. I'm not sure I have the will power to let him walk. I kind of hope I dont see him.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm kind of on the fence this year. Out of the 3 bucks I was watching, all survived firearms season. No one near me muzzleloader hunts, or late bow hunts, so chances are good they all survive the year, and are bigger next. I have 1 deer I believe to be 5.5, and is a hoss. I think my hit list of 3 just became a hit list of 1, and let the other 2 (believe they are 4.5) grow up and bother year.

That said, one of the 4.5 year olds is closer to 160 than 150. I'm not sure I have the will power to let him walk. I kind of hope I dont see him.

Definitely a tough decision if the big 4.5 year old presents you with a shot opportunity. Even without hunting pressure, deer and especially bucks have to run a gauntlet of dangers in order to survive until next fall and some of those that do survive may have a smaller or different home range that does not include your property. On the other hand, even though 4.5 year olds on average have expressed 90% of their total maximum antler potential, that last 10% can make a significant difference and it is always fun to see how a buck's rack changes from year to year.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    What a rough start this year. Early crossbow season just hung up crossbow and turned when buck came from behind me and then saw me, didn't move but he was spooked as he rushed past my stand. He stopped about 25 yds and was able to get a shot but hit a limb and found my arrow stuck in a cottonwood. Ya bummed, wanna quit hunting...lol....been saying that for decades. I checked sight and they were good, scope with mutilple cross hairs that came with it, used it last year and all was good. One week later a nice 10 point not seen on any trail cam came in from another stand and had great shot at 24 yds again.....misssed while a limb above it swayed. Watched him for next 15 minutes unharmed and not even too spooked but couldn't get him to come back in.....never found my arrow. Check the sites and for some reason they are now hitting a foot high!!! So practice where its at now and all seems good. Week before gun season nice buck comes in about 33 yards and first stand which is new, but too many limbs so don't take the shot. Later that day I go back and trim limbs like crazy. The next morning same buck hot on a doe comes back, doe exits brush into the clear trail at what I paced off at 36 yds......the buck looks like he is coming out same spot, but actually came out farther down so shot for about 38 yds and thought for sure I drilled him....nope, miss number 3 as I found my arrow dry and where he stood turned out to be about 50 yds. Saw the buck once during gun season in same area but I was in the wrong stand. With gun season over and all the shooting I was less than hopeful, but my son and sister this past week saw a big buck in the area, so back out I kept going. Got to stand last eying with a hour before sunset, 20 minutes before sunset and called away with the grunt call hoping a buck was in the bedding area or near by, just did a series and stopped. just before sunset a doe came out and coming down trail that goes right by my stand. For almost 5 solid minutes she looks at me, back and forth. I can't move. She does everything to get me to move, then another doe is coming and she moves past and that doe sees me but since the first doe went by she passes also. At this time I though I would shoot one, fill my tag and be done till next year.....but what if a buck comes along.....well I hear what sounds like a fawn bleat a few times...and with the does just to my right, but can't look still not moving, I see a nice buck now walking down the trail towards me with a tiny deer right behind him. There no way I can move, been here done that in the past. I know I will literally have to let him get past me or under before moving. Yup he see me, several times he stops to look at me at 10 yards and down. I wait for him to snort and run, but he drops his head and continues towards the does to my right that I hoped had moved on. Straight out and down from me he comes and I move the crossbow from my lap and aim down, all I see is chest, take my time and find right behind shoulder and wacko! he runs about 40 yards to edge of woods, while I do some deer bleats to trying stop him....I continue doe bleats as he looks, and then I could see the hole and blood coming out or my eyes were playing tricks on me? I started to get worried because he stayed there for so long.....too long....way too long...O dear did I miss again....o crap....finally he took off across the picked corn field and trees now blocked my view! But at last sight he looked to be "bucking" a little. When I got to the edge of the woods, I couldn't find my arrow or any blood to that point and my heart was sinking fast. But there was a deer out in the field 75 yards. Down with a perfect double lung. I'm getting a new red dot no magnification sight for next year thats for sure. It ain't a monster, the brow tines are nothing so he's a big 6 pt. and I'm tickled to death for this Dec. 11th buck. Don't ever give up. View attachment 72781

Awesome!!! All my stories that start out like yours never end the same. Congrats on a rewarding season.

Top Bottom