• Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You give up too easily.

Perhaps? However, the final blow was the next year I went to get my written permission again from the land owner as I had done for years. Turns out during the summer he(land owner) had been contacted by some newly relocated land management company out of Kansas and had decided to turn over all of his property affairs through him to include hunting privileges.So I called this Kansas guy and the guy said "absolutely you can deer hunt the property...for $1500.00 for the season". I told him he was crazy and he said "well if you owned property wouldn't you want it making $$ for you?" Apparently he kept 10% for his services and the rest went to the land owner. So...give up too easily?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    A few pictures of the area and hunting stands...
    4gmG7Aq.jpg

uWAvoe8.jpg

oo0cFPn.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Here are some photos from the other day of what Cody Maag (works for INDOT) ... the trespassing scum ... did to totally screw up a good opening day.

Stuck his car. All of this is my property. The tractor belongs to the neighbor who gave him permission to cross his land into the sliver of woods.
    WHxm32j.jpg

The Kia ... not the best choice for off road work by this Einstein ... :laugh:
    oBpuSPr.jpg

Some of the ruts left behind. There were ruts up and down the woods for a solid 1/2 mile. How he did not get stuck sooner, I will never understand.
    oNTlNXN.jpg

Me pointing to his gut pile, in my field, not 50 yards beyond where I came out of the woods after congratulating him earlier.
    HjwDiK6.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Final day was a bust. I saw a spike this morning but that was the only deer seen by me all 3 days. Took a shot on it and missed, been kicking myself on the miss all day. Leaving early tomorrow and will be back to good ole' Indiana tomorrow evening.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Here are some photos from the other day of what Cody Maag (works for INDOT) ... the trespassing scum ... did to totally screw up a good opening day.

Stuck his car. All of this is my property. The tractor belongs to the neighbor who gave him permission to cross his land into the sliver of woods.
    WHxm32j.jpg

oBpuSPr.jpg

Some of the ruts left behind. There were ruts up and down the woods for a solid 1/2 mile. How he did not get stuck sooner, I will never understand.
    oNTlNXN.jpg

Me pointing to his gut pile, in my field, not 50 yards beyond where I came out of the woods after congratulating him earlier.
    HjwDiK6.jpg
    A real douche no doubt,but you would have to stretch the heck out of that rack to get 100",let alone 140!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    A real douche no doubt,but you would have to stretch the heck out of that rack to get 100",let alone 140!

Trust me, I know measuring deer. It is pushing 140. 135 at the very least. Long long beams, good tine length. I shot a 126" by comparison this year. I'm not any official scorer, but I have been taping deer a long time, been around many scorers when they score, and I'm pretty good at it, especially a basic 8 or 10 point frame. This rack is way bigger than what I shot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

WHxm32j.jpg

oBpuSPr.jpg

oNTlNXN.jpg

HjwDiK6.jpg

That really stinks, especially since you were very polite about the entire ordeal. I would suggest that you do consider what your options are for charges, or at a very minimum see if a local CO will have a good talk with him about property rights and trespassing. I've been too nice to trespassers in the past, and turns out that words gets around that I won't do anything about it, so we keep having problems. I hate to be a jerk, but you might need to make an example of him, or you can bet not only him, but probably some others will be back hunting again next year and do some similar shenanigans.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Antlered Doe!!! Really!! I had 3 does come up to the top of my ridge at 9 this morning. They were not going to stop for tea. The last one was as big as the first. I shot her through the lungs and grazed the top of the heart. She continued running for about 50 yards and tumbled over a log. I got down after half an hour and gutted her. It was definitely a doe. I started dragging her out, and as she was coming over a log....I thought what is that sticking out of her head? I had to check her as a Buck! No antlered does on check in. Lucky for me I had not already taken a buck, or taken one after she was down. After 35 years of deer hunting, she was the first antlered doe I had ever seen.

JlxFlYQ.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

WHxm32j.jpg

oBpuSPr.jpg

oNTlNXN.jpg

HjwDiK6.jpg

he learns it well from his employer.......they are above the law....i would have had him arrested.....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Antlered Doe!!! Really!! I had 3 does come up to the top of my ridge at 9 this morning. They were not going to stop for tea. The last one was as big as the first. I shot her through the lungs and grazed the top of the heart. She continued running for about 50 yards and tumbled over a log. I got down after half an hour and gutted her. It was definitely a doe. I started dragging her out, and as she was coming over a log....I thought what is that sticking out of her head? I had to check her as a Buck! No antlered does on check in. Lucky for me I had not already taken a buck, or taken one after she was down. After 35 years of deer hunting, she was the first antlered doe I had ever seen.

JlxFlYQ.jpg

Very cool!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    he learns it well from his employer.......they are above the law....i would have had him arrested.....
    Probably couldn’t legally be arrested under the misdemeanor presence rule. Plus the landowner generally would be the one who has trespass rights to assert, not other folks who have hunting permission. It isn’t even clear the dude committed a criminal offense under title 35 or 14.

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Basically as my CO friend explained to me on the phone when all of this was going down, he could not arrest the guy for trespassing unless the land owner wanted to do so. The land owner is my mother in law who is in her mid 70's and believes that by The Good Book to extend Grace. The neighbor who let him through via his gate is pretty.much of the same mind set. Both were not happy but hope this guy learned a lesson and now he has no legal access to the property anyway. Personally, I wanted him arrested, but I don't extend Grace by nature the way they do.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Basically as my CO friend explained to me on the phone when all of this was going down, he could not arrest the guy for trespassing unless the land owner wanted to do so. The land owner is my mother in law who is in her mid 70's and believes that by The Good Book to extend Grace. The neighbor who let him through via his gate is pretty.much of the same mind set. Both were not happy but hope this guy learned a lesson and now he has no legal access to the property anyway. Personally, I wanted him arrested, but I don't extend Grace by nature the way they do.

he will probably be back if they are not going to charge him with trespass...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

The property surrounding landlocked property is often subject to an easement of necessity, so I wouldn’t be so certain that he can’t legally cross your relatives land. It depends on a whole bunch of things, but there is generally a presumption that people get to access their property.

Also, IIRC a leo cannot arrest for criminal trespassing unless it occurs in his presence, and from what has been posted it is not clear that he actually committed criminal trespass.

Top Bottom