• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    Lately I have been told that i do not have the correct papers to take a deer. It really worries me because the $500 fine is a BIG deal. and i also heard they could take my shotgun ( :( ) and add additional fines. Maybe someone could tell me if i have the correct papers?!

1. Residential Deer Firearms
    2. Temporary Transportation Tag
    3. Hunters Education Certificate (18 yrs old)
    4. Hunting/Fishing License.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Lately I have been told that i do not have the correct papers to take a deer. It really worries me because the $500 fine is a BIG deal. and i also heard they could take my shotgun ( :( ) and add additional fines. Maybe someone could tell me if i have the correct papers?!

you don't even need #4 for deer.. the deer license is your hunting license

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I think the only thing you need to make sure of is that you don't shoot a doe. You can only shoot a buck with a firearms permit. If you think you will take a doe you need a bonus antlerless. That can be used as well in muzzleloader.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think the only thing you need to make sure of is that you don't shoot a doe. You can only shoot a buck with a firearms permit. If you think you will take a doe you need a bonus antlerless. That can be used as well in muzzleloader.
    Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure you can take either with a firearms permit.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have been told of something that costs about $7 at walmart. Some kind of tag or something. What is it?

The only thing I know of that cost $7 was the Youth Consolidated License which covered everything if you where under 18. Since you said you are 18 then you already have everything you need unless you want to shoot a doe. For that you will need to purchase a $24 Bonus Antlerless license.

I guess i have to go buy tags too at wal mart. Its too confusing.

The only tag you have to have is your Temporary Transportation tag. If you shoot a buck you go to a check-in station and hand them your deer firearm license and filled out Temporary tag. They will ask you a few questions and write down some information and then hand you a metal tag that you then attach to the deer.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Wrong...the general firearm tag is antlered deer ONLY.

This is something we are trying to get changed to an either sex tag..

We will know in January if the DNR listened..

The problem is that we have state check stations telling people that they can take either sex with the first tag and you need a bonus anterless for a second deer. Witnessed this myself this past weekend and thought I had been buying an extra tag for a while.

From the DNR Website: Can I use my Firearms License to take an antlerless deer?
    Answer: No. The Firearms License can only be used to harvest an antlered deer.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure you can take either with a firearms permit.

It worries me slightly that guys are out there deer hunting, and they don't even know what is legal for them to shoot! I thought the regs were pretty clear???? DaveyCrink, my suggestion to you is to stop listening to whoever you have been listening to and get a copy of the regs, read them, understand them.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Archery license Take either an antlerless or antler deer*

fireamrs license Take a antler deer*

Muzzleloader license Take an antlerless or a antler deer*

Bonus antlerless license take an antlerless deer with any weapon that is legal during the particular season

*may only take one antler deer during the combined seasons

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It worries me slightly that guys are out there deer hunting, and they don't even know what is legal for them to shoot! I thought the regs were pretty clear???? DaveyCrink, my suggestion to you is to stop listening to whoever you have been listening to and get a copy of the regs, read them, understand them.
    Well, just to be clear with you, I was trying to help. Last time I bought a license the Firearms license covered either antlered or antlerless. It's been a while since I hunted property that wasn't my own. I asked the question just to be sure the answer was clarified; I didn't realize this had changed.

And just to ease your worries about me hunting without knowing the rules, I'm not out there hunting this year because I'm deploying to Afghanistan in 2 weeks. I do apologize for asking the question. I'll just stay quiet next time and continue wondering what is right and what is wrong...

I do read the rules and regs every year when I do go out to hunt though, just in case you were still worried. ;)

Top Bottom