• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I can't figure out why last year us Hoosiers had our chests puffed out because a magazine rated us #2 in quality of our deer herd. Here we are, one year later complaining about the deer numbers being down.

Just my opinion, but I really struggle with much of what has happened to deer hunting. I go out to be in the woods, see wildlife, and kill a deer, in that order. It`s great that the herd is generally so healthy, because that means more deer seen on stand generally. I just hate that the trophy guys have put such an emphasis on inches of antler, that some don`t feel comfortable killing whatever makes them happy. Each deer hunter, who hunts legally and ethically, should be very comfortable killing any deer that satisfies them, without having to be afraid of being ridiculed by the "serious hunters". Just a shame I think, because deer hunting is supposed to be about keeping the herd healthy, in check, and fun.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Personally I'd like to see that late firearm season go away, just don't think we need it. I agree with the assessment of 2012, that the late season had more to do with increased kills than cross bows. Good to see the HPR's didn't affect harvest numbers, no blood in the streets, no Swiss cheese houses or cattle.

I`m with you on the late, anterless only firearms season. I think this late in the season, the added pressure is very detrimental to the herd at a time when they`re already stressed due to weather and natural predators. But look at who the usual suspects are: Farmers and insurance companies, they`re trying to take out more breeders. Between that, and the trophy guys trying to protect the big-racked bucks, it`s nearly comical.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I can't figure out why last year us Hoosiers had our chests puffed out because a magazine rated us #2 in quality of our deer herd. Here we are, one year later complaining about the deer numbers being down.

There is a huge difference between quality and quantity, in fact quantity is often detrimental to quality. For that matter, a decrease in harvest in not necessarily indicative of decrease in population.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I saw 5 bucks out in a filed in Parke County today. Two had outstanding racks, one with multiple drop tines. All were mature.

Imagine that.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I saw 5 bucks out in a filed in Parke County today. Two had outstanding racks, one with multiple drop tines. All were mature.

Imagine that.

kinda hard to imagine that this time of year being that most bucks should have already dropped their antlers.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    kinda hard to imagine that this time of year being that most bucks should have already dropped their antlers.

I`m not a wildlife biologist, but...I have read that the timing of when the bucks drop their antlers is influenced by several things, such as the health of the animal, but also, the severity of the winter. In a harsher winter, they`ll drop them earlier. I don`t know of any hard and fast rule for the timing of this.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I enjoy watching deer.
    But must admit, anything under 100" is pretty boring.
    Really don't care to crawl out of bed unless a 130" is around.

Popped a little one 2nd to last day. Like to grill venison, so punched the tag.
    Of course a 140" or so was seen soon after by my buddy, coming down the creek.
    If I had waited 30 mins............

Eh, doesn't bother me one bit.
    If he avoids the Buicks.............I'd really like to drill him this yr in bow.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Sorry to disagree but you are wrong since I have several bucks with antlers still on my trail camera this past week. The drop times vary and influenced by lots of factors.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Yes and no. It is still pretty early for most bucks to have dropped their antlers but in most years a lot them would have by now. Based on trail cam photos more bucks seem to be holding their antlers longer than normal this year. I suspect the bumper mast crop we had last fall left bucks in better than normal post season shape which leads to the antlers being retained longer.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Yes and no. It is still pretty early for most bucks to have dropped their antlers but in most years a lot them would have by now. Based on trail cam photos more bucks seem to be holding their antlers longer than normal this year. I suspect the bumper mast crop we had last fall left bucks in better than normal post season shape which leads to the antlers being retained longer.

^^^^This. Two years ago when the mast crop was large, the deer held on to their antlers later than usual. Early winters too, seem to cause the bucks to drop early. Three years ago when it got cold early and stayed cold, I started finding sheds before Christmas. The winter this year is not cold enough to stress them.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It has been 48 hours since season closed so this tally should be about it, barring any glitches…

4,204 less deer checked in. A 3.4 percent drop.

Current reported deer harvest

From Sept 15, 2016 to Thursday, February 2, 2017

Deer harvest numbers are updated as deer are checked in via CheckIN Game. All numbers are raw data that have not been verified by the Indiana DNR.

See…
    www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/8367.htm

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Just giving the report for the 300 bo with the 130gr barnes. Shot a doe in the neck, dropped with a silver dollar sized exit hole. My brother was using 120gr barnes out of his 300 and both of his deer went 20 yds and tipped.

Another report here of my 300 BO I used in the fall. I used the 120 grain Barnes TSX and dropped a buck where it stood. Shot placement was through the neck. Kind of weird but it only had about a dime sized exit wound, maybe because it was only about a 50 yard shot. Last year was my first year hunting and bagged a buck, so this year was the first year I've bagged a dear with a firearm. It did a lot of internal damage, though.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    This year's reported deer harvest numbers include those taken during state park reduction hunts and those marked for deprevation. That was not the case in years past. Meaning that our harvest was much lower than we have in years past

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    This year's reported deer harvest numbers include those taken during state park reduction hunts and those marked for deprevation. That was not the case in years past. Meaning that our harvest was much lower than we have in years past
    What is the source of this information? Do tell...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    From the DNR..

[FONT=&quot]We have started including the State Parks hunts, but we also recalculated the harvest for the past several years to include the park hunts as well. So the numbers are all comparable. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I don't know what much lower means. For some people 100 deer fewer would be much lower, for others, a thousand fewer harvested is not a big deal. Deer populations are always in flux, so you can only judge these things over long trends[/FONT]

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    From the DNR..

There are lots of questions about EHD, and how much damage that has done, but good luck getting factual data. We believe it hits in pockets, and is not generally widespread across great areas, but still, who can say what the depth of the hit has been. I hunted two farms in Putnam County, maybe only 10 miles apart. At one farm I saw only three deer the entire season, and little sign. At the other farm, I saw, in only 5 hunts, 18 deer. It was crazy.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There are lots of questions about EHD, and how much damage that has done, but good luck getting factual data. We believe it hits in pockets, and is not generally widespread across great areas, but still, who can say what the depth of the hit has been. I hunted two farms in Putnam County, maybe only 10 miles apart. At one farm I saw only three deer the entire season, and little sign. At the other farm, I saw, in only 5 hunts, 18 deer. It was crazy.

EHD is very spotty... My area got hit in 2007 and again in 2012. It was worse in 2007. I went 17 trips to the stand without seeing one deer. A mile down the road it was business as usual for another group of hunters.. Deer are quite resilient and bounce back pretty well. During the 2009 season I could tell there was ever a problem.

One does get a backfill from other area deer when the habitat is good and there is less deer due to a die off.

Top Bottom