• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I've heard more people this year say they aren't seeing deer this year then I have ever heard. So I wanted to do a poll just to see or have a small idea of whats being seen. Speaking for myself, I'm seeing plenty of deer. Probably the same number that I've seen in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    From the poll options it sure appears we are getting spoiled. I did not vote.

I've seen deer every time out except twice. I'm happy with that.

The year I started deer hunting (1968) I saw a total of six deer all season.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    We see a avg. of 2 deer every other day, been hunting since Oct several times a week. It obviously was a little better before WWIII began, they now are less predictable and more sporadic about their habits. I had thought hunting bow season I'd see a ton of deer, but did not happen. Seeing steady signs, but not the number I expected. Not seeing the number of auto accidents either that I saw last year at this time. But I always said we are more people overpopulated vs. deer overpopulated. What bothers me the most, we used to see herds of 20-30 growing up riding the bus on S.R 15 in Kosciusko County in the early 90s, my hubby drives that road due to carpooling and has not seen one deer in those same fields this past month?? Where'd they all go? I am not sure if I agree with dnr about the overpopulation.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I regularly see 4-10 deer per hunt. Almost all are does & fawns. Last time I had 11 sightings of the same 7 deer. I'm getting tired of the strong winds all day long. With my hearing the wind really causes trouble.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Kind of curious here, when did it become necessary to see LOTS of deer for deer season to be a "good" one?:dunno: Have some become so conditioned to somehow expect to see 25+ deer EVERYTIME they go out?:n00b:

IMO that is what's fueling these rule/regulation fiasco's we've been having here in Indiana. Unreasonable expectations created by some organizations here, and all those stupid hunting videos. The "hunters":rolleyes: in some videos are hunting honey holes that my daughter who's never hunted could take a mature buck in. It's not reality.

Some people's expectations need to come back down to earth IMO.

:twocents:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Kind of curious here, when did it become necessary to see LOTS of deer for deer season to be a "good" one?:dunno: Have some become so conditioned to somehow expect to see 25+ deer EVERYTIME they go out?:n00b:

IMO that is what's fueling these rule/regulation fiasco's we've been having here in Indiana. Unreasonable expectations created by some organizations here, and all those stupid hunting videos. The "hunters":rolleyes: in some videos are hunting honey holes that my daughter who's never hunted could take a mature buck in. It's not reality.

Some peoples expectations need to come back down to earth IMO.

First off who said anything about it being necessary to see lots of deer for it to be a good season?:dunno:
    Second, who is some people?
    Everybody wants to see deer when they hunt even if they don't shoot one. Just curious who your directing this to?:dunno:
    Deer hunting is a tough thing to do and if your not putting in the time you probably won't see deer. Even then there are times when you won't see deer, but thats hunting. Video hunting? Who cares? I have buddies that want to video everytime they go to the woods. They want to have a hunting partner. I myself don't want anybody hunting with me and I don't want cameras to have to mess with. Hunting these brown goats is hard enough and I can screw up a hunt all by myself without someone or something else to help me do it.
    I simply am curious if your seeing the numbers that you have in the past 3-4 years.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

Some people's expectations need to come back down to earth IMO.

I just re-read the entire thread and not one person said any of this.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Sorry, my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. Yes I agree everyone wants to see deer while deer hunting. Just some apparently (again not directed at anyone in particular) feel the need to see large numbers of deer everytime or they feel "there are no deer in my area" which fuels these kneejerk regulation changes we keep seeing. The deer are there, you're just not seeing them.

My point on the hunting videos is again IMO, these are just feeding these beliefs. Call it Bone Collector syndrome.:dunno:

In my case, I am seeing just as many deer if not more where I usually hunt. This year there are several mature bucks wandering the woods I hunt.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Sorry, my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. Yes I agree everyone wants to see deer while deer hunting. Just some apparently (again not directed at anyone in particular) feel the need to see large numbers of deer everytime or they feel "there are no deer in my area" which fuels these kneejerk regulation changes we keep seeing. The deer are there, you're just not seeing them.

My point on the hunting videos is again IMO, these are just feeding these beliefs. Call it Bone Collector syndrome.:dunno:

In my case, I am seeing just as many deer if not more where I usually hunt. This year there are several mature bucks wandering the woods I hunt.

Understood, but still, this thread was simply a question of how many deer people are seeing, not about anyone's disappointment for not seeing what they think they should.

You may be seeing more deer, but I can tell you factually that not everyone is. And it's just that, a fact. Can't speak for everyone else, but for me, it just means I need to do something different. No 'Bone Collector Syndrome' here. I got the vaccine long ago.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I guess the truth will be in the end result numbers that the DNR will post after they get a correct count. They are predicting a record number of deer killed this year again. I had a buddy say he didn't think it is gonna happen. I said "we will see". This year has been a lot different with the warmer weather and the strong winds we have had, not to mention the full moon at the very beginning of the firearms season. Cold weather is moving in for muzzleloader and I think you guys that aren't seeing deer will start seeing them. Of course that is if you put in the time.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    For me its been a little scarce under 3 a day, but the other guys that hunt the same property say they see a decent amount usually, we rotate stands and towers on the property so maybe I'm just having bad luck. I think that has a lot to do with it luck and timing, the deer I have seen though are mostly young bucks spikes and forks the old bucks I swear are getting smarter and harder to come by.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I usually see deer on every hunt. This year has been no exception. The largest group I saw this year was 15 walking in a single-file line through the woods towards me. I think that deer numbers where I hunt are quite high.

Top Bottom