• Deer pop poll

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Well, I'm bringing my average down. The last two hunts I have seen no deer. I guess I won't count the 3 I saw from my kitchen window.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not exactly what you're looking for but we saw over 90 bodies along the route, I-70 to Effingham to I-57 to west Memphis just a week ago. They're out there but it appears you need a kenworth if you're going to bag one!

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I have seen more this year than I normally do. The problem is that they are either over 400 yards away, or I am in my way to or from hunting, in the vehicle, when I see them. Counted 8 this afternoon. jumped 1 on the way in, saw 2 way off on the neighboring property, 4 at the edge of the road, and when I drove by them they ran back in the direction of my stand, and 1 lone straggler standing on a hill, when my car headlights glinted off its eyes.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I see PLENTY of deer, on the side of the road ..... dead .....

I've seen more in a field by the house than I have dead on the side of the road, at least since bow season started. I haven't been able to hunt this year because school is taking up a bunch of time, either doing homework and studying or being gone from dark until dark. I've seen quite a few pictures of people with nice bucks since opening weekend of bow season, pretty much once a week with a little story about someone's first buck or about big bucks. They're obviously out there. When I had the time to get out in the woods, I was always happy to see A deer during a hunt...even if it was just a tiny little thing. To me, a trip to the woods isn't always about trying to shoot something. Sometimes it is more about trying to see how close I could stalk in before getting winded or spooking them, others I'm fine seeing a couple youngins running around chasing each other totally clueless that there is someone with a 12g well within range.

I do get kind of annoyed at the people that constantly complain that there are no shooters in the woods when they've just bought their deer gun a day before the season starts and the first time they hit the woods is opening day.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I know people that go into the woods for an hour or so, see nothing, then leave before the best time of the day. I also know people that race their ATVs around their property all day, then go hunting the last hour or so hoping some deaf buck will walk by. Those same folks also like to shoot at their private range all afternoon then hope to see deer. I know folks that want to play with their smart phones and occasionally look up to see if anything is walking by. Half the deer I see are spotted with nothing more than a flicker of a tail or an ear as they graze in the brush. If I hadn't been watching I would never have seen them.
    This isn't directed at anyone here but I wonder how many hunters smoke, sleep, don't do scent control, or figit when hunting. That has a lot to do with not seening deer numbers.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'd say my numbers are about the same as in the past few years. I just came to the conclusion years ago to hunt smart, spend time afield and if it happens, it happens. Usually it does. Some of us can remember when there were no deer so these days today are quite the times for us. On the DNR thing. They will declare a record harvest one way or the other . Anything less hurts tag sales.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Seeing less that the last couple of years, but the cameras and the sign say there are still deer around. Scored a nice buck, but spent a lot of time on stand this year.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I've seen better quality of deer, per sighting in 16 years hunting back in Indiana. Meaning, when I see a buck, in 9 out of 10 cases, he is a trophy.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have seen more dead on the side of the road going to hunt than I do in the woods I hunt. Could it be the deer are committing suicide to keep from coming under fire from me?LOL

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I don't hunt but I am seeing the normal amount for this time of year while out driving. I wish there were a lot fewer of them to reduce the chance of hitting them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    All the deer in our area (Lizton) seem to have moved south. Probably chasing better/more food sources.

We had quite a few on camera during archery and youth season, but not many now.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hunt multiple counties and know many serious hunters across the state. Something is going on...to a man they are seeing a small fraction of what they normally see. Talked to a guy last night who keeps a journal religiously and he saw less than 10% of what he normally sees to this point in the season. I've had less than 25% of my normal sightings and can't blame the crops because they are out! I don't think it is a question of the rut either, trailcams all over the state that are steady producers are coming up blanks. THEY JUST AREN'T THERE! I don't get it??? Let's say last years entire crop of fawns fell off the earth, that still would not explain how low the sighting numbers are! I know it is not just me, because everybody I've talked to from all over the state has a similar story!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    This isn't just in Indiana either. I just got back from my second trip to Michigan this year hunting private land. I. Didn't. See. Squat.
    Last year there was at least a lot of deer signs, this year nothing. This morning I saw three sets of tracks, all small, where I would normally see more sets than could be easily counted.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I emailed one of our local CO's just to see what his opinion was on people not seeing the deer numbers of recent years past... In a nut shell he said that, at least in our county, he thinks we are getting to the managment stage of the deer herd. Our county has one of the higher numbers of deer that can be taken. We have been there for I think 4 years. Now granted most of us don't shoot our quota. However you have to take into consideration with the 8 deer quota, urban hunts, car accidents, wounded deer that don't make it and older deer that maybe won't survive the winter, Thats a lot of deer. Next year with the late season fire arm season for doe only will add to that number declining even more.
    There you have it. The numbers are lower depending on where your at and whats happening in your area. Other areas are very plentiful.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Well I wish some Cass county hunters would chime in, because this past week I've seen many deer in Cass county as I drive, was almost broadsided by a huge doe on Sunday. I will be very interested though in the Miami County harvest numbers when released.

Top Bottom