• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Seeing the same thing from different angles and the repetition is to help implant it in your subconscious. It is intentional, because it's designed as training the "Observe" and "Orient" segment of your OODA loop that is very seldom worked on in a training environment. The training aids in increasing the speed and accuracy of your "instinctive" recognition of threat development as well as develops confidence in your assessment and your ability to recall and articulate the body language indicators you saw. It's also why we watched the same video repeatedly but concentrating on different people's reactions, to further "burn in" what a threat looks like, what a transition looks like, etc.

I completely agree with you, BBI. It's not often that we take time to really dig into a subject/event and noodle on it. You created an excellent opportunity for this valuable learning. You opened my eyes and I will continue to learn and perpare as best as I can.

On the surface, it may seem you're wasting time by watching the same event from a few different angles. Take a moment and consider the infinitesimal amount of detail included in the different camera shots...

- Discover how your perspective can greatly alter your "reality" during an event
    - Imagine yourself, in the same scenario, as each particular victim
    - How would you respond, considering your current training level?
    - What's the BEST way to respond, if training level weren't an issue?
    - How would you position yourself in a public area to give you the best chance for survival?
    - What methods of carry are most effective for you?
    - What are the advantages of on-body carry vs off-body carry for particular situations?
    - Realize that the more fit you are, the harder you are to kill/victimize.

All of this scenario study can go a long way towards preparing your human brain (not the "lizard" or "monkey" areas of the brain) to work properly under stress while solving the OODA loop.

There is so much learning to be had from these videos, that it's almost limitless. Thanks for collecting and sharing all of this footage and sharing it, along with your expert perspective to the group BBI.

HappyGrandpa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    bit south of Indy
    Thanks to Coach and BBI for a great DC1/2 day. And thanks to all who attended for a safe experience. We depend on each other for that.

It was my third time taking classes with Coach and first with BBI. As before, I'm left with things to ponder, and that is a good thing. For as they both taught, it's important to have some thoughts/plans/actions in place before you unexpectedly need them.

I also enjoy the "lightbulb" moments that come when I've done something one way that seemed right to me, and after, they can explain or demonstrate something better. That's the best.

I couldn't stay for the DC2 portion because of having to get back to town. But as the Terminator said, "I'll be back."

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Seeing the same thing from different angles and the repetition is to help implant it in your subconscious. It is intentional, because it's designed as training the "Observe" and "Orient" segment of your OODA loop that is very seldom worked on in a training environment. The training aids in increasing the speed and accuracy of your "instinctive" recognition of threat development as well as develops confidence in your assessment and your ability to recall and articulate the body language indicators you saw. It's also why we watched the same video repeatedly but concentrating on different people's reactions, to further "burn in" what a threat looks like, what a transition looks like, etc.
    Point taken and I should have noted it was a very minor quibble. I think part of it is you can't teach everyone the same way. I am a very visual, hands-on learner so videos are one good tool. I'm also likely ADD somewhat so it would be better for me to see the same thing but in a different video because I zone out just looking at different angles. However, you asking us in some cases to watch different specific things was good in those cases, because that would keep me on point. That's also why I liked hearing you two occasionally mention to stay on the target to assess or to scan for other threats before holstering. Anyway, great class and hope there's a DC3 and 4 in the works!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks to Coach and BBI for another great course. The training is top notch.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I felt a little redemption after my last training class and some recent gear changes. I had to take a picture of my target and send to the previous training class instructor. I am, again, a fan of the MP. I hate when I'm proven wrong and need to eat crow (LOL)

Definitely a great class on body language indicators. I've been studying this on my own for career reasons. It was good to see them in action through the the videos.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It felt good that Coach didn't need to call attention any problems with my technique this time. Last year he called out my loosing my purchase while re-holstering. Also not assessing and aiming my follow up shots.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We can all stand to do more follow through. I catch myself sucking at it at times.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Same here. I am allowing dry fire to make it worse. Training scars are real, it is up to us to be smart enough and determined enough to overcome them.

I can't dry fire for more than ten minutes or so and really concentrate. Anything longer gets sloppy and counter productive.

I think that's the biggest thing that separates the Larry Birds and Tiger Woods from the rest of us. The ability to practice fundamentals purposefully and productively for long periods of time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "Some people practice until they get it right. A professional practices until they cannot get it wrong." Bob Vogel

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I can't dry fire for more than ten minutes or so and really concentrate. Anything longer gets sloppy and counter productive.

I think that's the biggest thing that separates the Larry Birds and Tiger Woods from the rest of us. The ability to practice fundamentals purposefully and productively for long periods of time.

I think ten minutes a day 3 or 4 days a week would pay pretty good benefits to most people. I do signicantly more than that (30-45 minutes a day, 5 or more days a week) but my goals are different. Plus I am not a natural.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think ten minutes a day 3 or 4 days a week would pay pretty good benefits to most people. I do signicantly more than that (30-45 minutes a day, 5 or more days a week) but my goals are different. Plus I am not a natural.

Even when I did 30 minutes a day, I did it in 3x10 minutes blocks.

Top Bottom