• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm a little surprised that both sides are 0.10 out of flat. I would have thought it would have been within a couple of thousands.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'm a little surprised that both sides are 0.10 out of flat. I would have thought it would have been within a couple of thousands.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

That includes going deep enough to eliminate the roll marks

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    cool!! I can't believe there is that much variation in the slide though! I would have thought it would have been pretty darn flat from the factory!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It will be Ceracoated. It is not stainless. If it was it would remain as is. Still mulling over colors.

Tim, I love the color he used on my 700 300wm. Man does he do an awesome job!

Allen, I will have to have you do a 1911 for me in the future. I don't know how big a gun you will do, I;d like to have my M1919a4 Ceracoted. I'd even let you shoot it for a while :-)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Allen, I will have to have you do a 1911 for me in the future. I don't know how big a gun you will do, I;d like to have my M1919a4 Ceracoted. I'd even let you shoot it for a while :-)

I saw that gun in the build process and the color. Very nice.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    cool!! I can't believe there is that much variation in the slide though! I would have thought it would have been pretty darn flat from the factory!

I think the roll marks warp it a lot. new Caspian slides are very smooth

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Did a little more comp blending. Next thing I wanted to do was clean up the bottom of the slide cut. Turning the slide up side down in the mill and leveling to the slide rails I took a 5/16" ball mill and evened up the lower lines. Caspian calls this a recon cut. But it gives a nice crisp mate to the slide

r

Next I blend the top rond to the slide. there wasn't much there to do so that was nice :)

Next is a ball cut along the upper slide line. I think these look good and this to gives another nice crisp edge.
    The top of the slide is not parallel to the bottom of the slide so it needs to be setup so the top is level for this cut. One day I will make a better fixture to hold slide and comp at same time. I just modified this one to work and got lazy.

then checking parallel to the mill

after that I want to find the center of the slide using an edge finder. I zero the mill on one side of the slide then find the edge on the other side and divide by 2 to find center. Y Axis is all I care about at this point

after adjusting Z Axis (height) .5150 will be the width I width I will cut on each side so they are equal to centerline

something like this

I set mill head to 15 degrees to match the cocking serrations and found center again

And just like that.

copied my numbers to the other side and slide has ports

I know what you are saying.. your'e saying but the comp needs holes it it now and the bottom of the comp is out of level....stay tuned

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

we could probably work something out :)

Top Bottom