• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game. Change the rules and take his emergency powers away if you don't like it.

I don't like being "taxed" if I don't have insurance. I don't remember another President using that little gem either.

No one wants to change the rules who actually have the power to change the rules. The other side wants to use the power too. So they’re not gonna oppose it. The supporters like the outcome, so they’re not gonna want to change the rules. We already have rules. But they cannot overcome the rule of men.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not at all. Dr. Midnight understood the premise, and answered they way that best supported his position. Others would call the AWB unConstitutional and a power grab. If one is willing to recognize that thing that are passed in accordance with standing law (as you are doing with Trump), then there's very few things that are "unConstitutional."
    Everything you can’t get Congress to go along with is an emergency.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Emergency power executed should have an emergent action. The wall is years away. That’s not an emergent action. That’s just trump abusing authority to fulfill a campaign promise. I would support Trump using that power to order the military to the border to help, or some other action that has a more immediate impact. I can’t wait to see what the Democrats use this new power for when they take the throne.
    What truly amazes me is that rather than getting together and putting a halt to this nonsense, Congress just cheers on when their guy does it. You would think that at some point they would get together and say it is time to put a stop to this ever growing power of the President. How long until we crown an Emperor of the US?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What truly amazes me is that rather than getting together and putting a halt to this nonsense, Congress just cheers on when their guy does it. You would think that at some point they would get together and say it is time to put a stop to this ever growing power of the President. How long until we crown an Emperor of the US?

So do voters. Regardless of leaning, if "their guy" does something iffy, then it's ok... but when the "other guy" uses the exact same power, they scream bloody murder. Liberals hated the Patriot Act when Bush was abusing those powers, when Obama was using it, they were like :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sad but true. Seems very few in this country actually care about how things are progressing. They just care about their team.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So do voters. Regardless of leaning, if "their guy" does something iffy, then it's ok... but when the "other guy" uses the exact same power, they scream bloody murder. Liberals hated the Patriot Act when Bush was abusing those powers, when Obama was using it, they were like :dunno:

Truth here.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Congress tried to rein it in after Watergate in the mid 1970s, but then members remembered that for some reason they can't stomach the idea of shrinking .gov power once they've expanded it.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683501440/congress-aims-to-control-presidents-emergency-powers

Seriously, can anyone point to an instance of Congress voting to limit either their own power, or the power of the president once it's been expanded?

They love letting the Genie out of the bottle and seem loathe to ever put it back in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Congress tried to rein it in after Watergate in the mid 1970s, but then members remembered that for some reason they can't stomach the idea of shrinking .gov power once they've expanded it.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683501440/congress-aims-to-control-presidents-emergency-powers

Seriously, can anyone point to an instance of Congress voting to limit either their own power, or the power of the president once it's been expanded?

They love letting the Genie out of the bottle and seem loathe to ever put it back in.

Think about the people that seek out these seats of power over others. Why would they do that. The pursuit of power and the riches that come with wielding that power. It is their drug.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Scary version, we're becoming more and more like the Islamists - where every setback becomes an anniversary and excuse to do bad things because we have grievances and they must be avenged. Blood feuds are making a comeback

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Sad but true. Seems very few in this country actually care about how things are progressing. They just care about their team.

Man that just about says it all right there.
    What was that rock song from the sixties, "mostly say hooray for our side"?
    Human nature just doesn't change one iota.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

That's why I think the most desirable course of action is:

1) Keep Trump and McConnell and a Republican senate at all costs

2) Push them to keep naming conservative, constitutionalist justices at all levels in order to remake/take back the judiciary. Here is where I think the work by the Federalist Society is invaluable

3) If we have done the work correctly, at some point the judiciary will begin reining in presidential/federal power in significant ways. If it is done according to the constitution and not the whims of activist judges, I will be OK with it even if it is my guy being reined in

4) Take the president to court on things like EOs and emergency powers and either establish legal limits on the authority or better yet by limiting such powers push congress to rewrite the statutes. As long as it is done by honest reference to the constitution it is hard to go wrong (although congress might not be up to such a high standard)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That's why I think the most desirable course of action is:

1) Keep Trump and McConnell and a Republican senate at all costs

2) Push them to keep naming conservative, constitutionalist justices at all levels in order to remake/take back the judiciary. Here is where I think the work by the Federalist Society is invaluable

3) If we have done the work correctly, at some point the judiciary will begin reining in presidential/federal power in significant ways. If it is done according to the constitution and not the whims of activist judges, I will be OK with it even if it is my guy being reined in

4) Take the president to court on things like EOs and emergency powers and either establish legal limits on the authority or better yet by limiting such powers push congress to rewrite the statutes. As long as it is done by honest reference to the constitution it is hard to go wrong (although congress might not be up to such a high standard)

That is all good, but :rofl:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    NT book III CH I V XXXVII :)

We can do it, it's whether we have the will
    I don't know that there are that many "conservative" judges that would rule that way. Gorsuch was a big one, but I don't think Kavanaugh is in agreement about reigning in the executive branch and its beauracracy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know that there are that many "conservative" judges that would rule that way. Gorsuch was a big one, but I don't think Kavanaugh is in agreement about reigning in the executive branch and its beauracracy.

I wouldn't put Kavanaugh in that category. He's a Kennedy protégé added to the list at Kennedy's request before he retired.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can't wait until the next debate, as I'm sure the current events surrounding the president (which of course INGO has dismissed) will lead to more bashing. And rightfully so, if we are to believe what is being reported, at least the bare basics.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't wait until the next debate, as I'm sure the current events surrounding the president (which of course INGO has dismissed) will lead to more bashing. And rightfully so, if we are to believe what is being reported, at least the bare basics.

Oh jeez. What'd I miss this time? Did he collude with Russians again? Did he grab some *****? :dunno:

Top Bottom