• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What the heck is it with people and warning shots? Glad to hear it worked out well, but I always worry about where that bullet ends up if it's not in a bad guy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With one exception, I mentally fill in "I was warning the guy that my aim can only get better from now on."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are warning shots the foolish extension of sea going ships firing shots across the bow of another ship? Or did someone actually think about it and independently conclude that firing a warning shot was a good idea?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There was a home invasion last night in Mishawaka. The home owner fired a warning shot and the perp took off. The home owner is the son of my buddy. I haven't found a link yet.

I spoke with my buddy who explained things a little more clearly.

The home owner was in one room of his house. He walked into the living room and found the perp standing there. (It wasn't explained to me how he got in. It was about 7:30ish pm) The perp was told to leave and didn't. A physical altercation started. The home owner broke free and grabbed his .40 Shield off of the end table and ordered the perp out of the house. The perp complied but once out of the house, he charged the home owner from about 30 ft. He fired one shot about 2 ft above his head on purpose as a warning. The perp left quickly. The home owner said that he really didn't want to shoot him.

DasOmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2018
    Avon
    What the heck is it with people and warning shots? Glad to hear it worked out well, but I always worry about where that bullet ends up if it's not in a bad guy.
    On the off chance I miss the bad guy he can consider that his warning shot. He won't be so lucky with the follow up.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I spoke with my buddy who explained things a little more clearly.

The home owner was in one room of his house. He walked into the living room and found the perp standing there. (It wasn't explained to me how he got in. It was about 7:30ish pm) The perp was told to leave and didn't. A physical altercation started. The home owner broke free and grabbed his .40 Shield off of the end table and ordered the perp out of the house. The perp complied but once out of the house, he charged the home owner from about 30 ft. He fired one shot about 2 ft above his head on purpose as a warning. The perp left quickly. The home owner said that he really didn't want to shoot him.

So, he just let the perp be some other persons problem. Maybe they won't be armed, maybe they won't be so lucky. And, where did the round go when it didn't go into the bad guy?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, he just let the perp be some other persons problem. Maybe they won't be armed, maybe they won't be so lucky. And, where did the round go when it didn't go into the bad guy?

My exact thought. If you let them go the results may be far worse for the next victim and do know there will be a next one. A woman home alone. Single mom facing an already angry hopped up nut bag.
    No one actually "Wants" to shoot someone. Well no right minded individual anyway. But in all of what was described, this guy needs put down. JMHO of course.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

It was his decision. One I hope I never have to make. The only thing on his mind at the time was he really didn't want to shoot him. In that short timeframe, I doubt he was thinking about what the perp will do next time. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be thinking that either.

As to where the round went, I'm not sure. But my buddy told me the Officer from the MPD said if he did find the need to fire a warning shot, doing so in the ground is best. He could have been sited legally for shooting the way he did but they didn't do so due to the circumstances.

I'm glad he's ok. I'm also glad everything worked out the way it did, tactics aside.

I'll try to get a hold of the home owner in the near future and talk with him.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My exact thought. If you let them go the results may be far worse for the next victim and do know there will be a next one. A woman home alone. Single mom facing an already angry hopped up nut bag.
    No one actually "Wants" to shoot someone. Well no right minded individual anyway. But in all of what was described, this guy needs put down. JMHO of course.

My...exact...thought. His decision to shoot a round into the neighborhood and not the bad guy was not thought out IMHO. The invader lives to invade another day and someone else could die because of chance ballistics.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.wral.com/suspect-in-custody-after-person-shot-in-downtown-raleigh/17513636/

. RALEIGH, N.C. — A robbery suspect was shot and wounded when his intended victim fought back and opened fire on him in downtown Raleigh, authorities said Friday.

More at link. Good for her. Her boyfriend is a fool, more concerned with showing off than helping her.

There is a tiny little icon at the end of the first paragraph at the link where you can show “approve“or not. I take it that’s a approval of what she did

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Having a gun pointed at his face should be all the warning an assailant needs. Guns aren't noise makers for scaring off evil spirits. Shooting in some other direction is:
    1)criminally negligent.
    2)tactically stupid. All you do is prove that you're unwilling to actually kill the assailant which is basically an invitation to press the attack and get a bonus prize of a firearm afterwards.

Intimidation factor....like: "OOOH, he's shooting at the sky and hasn't missed yet, we'd better leave this one alone!"? No.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'd like to hear more about how bad warning shots are, here on INGO.

:)

giphy.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, her boyfriend is an idiot

And yes, she probably should have maintained control of her weapon. But she did just have a traumatic experience.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Don't screw with old people Part Three:

Would-be robber dead in St. Louis shootout after victim, 74, pulls own gun | Law and order | stltoday.com

It began about 4:30 p.m. when the victim was approached in his backyard by Smith, police said. He pulled out a gun, forced the older man into his home and demanded his property, police said.

Inside the home, the victim was able to grab his own gun and they exchanged fire.

Robber was shot in the side, died at hospital. Old guy was shot in the neck, treated and released same day.

Later...possible retaliatory fire: Retaliation gunfire hits home of elderly man who killed robber i - KMOV.com

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Man with baby shoots would-be robber outside Tennessee McDonald's, reports say | Fox News
    Man with baby shoots would-be robber outside Tennessee McDonald's, reports say

A man who was holding his baby reportedly sprang into action and shot one of four robbers attacking him outside a Tennessee McDonald’s on Tuesday.

Four men were at a McDonald’s in Memphis’ Orange Mound neighborhood when they attempted to rob the father, police said. David Chase, who witnessed the attempted robbery from across the street and called 911, told WREG the father fought back.

Four against One, the One with a baby.

They reportedly went to a fire station and dropped off the wounded suspect, who was then taken to the hospital in non-critical condition.

Good, he got one.
    And before everyone says, "he shoulda got all of them, and it shoulda been critical hits", he was fighting 4 men who had the drop on him, and he had his kid. Not exactly ideal shooting conditions to stop and get into proper shooting position and taking careful aim.

It’s unclear if the father will face any charges for shooting the suspect during the attempted robbery.

Of course. They had to say that. How about the part above about witnesses? It's not like BANG, and a guy claims self defense.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Reporter: Here is a hot one boss. Lead material. BLOOD!

Editor: No! Yeah, blood, But not the right kind.

R: But you taught me IF IT BLEEDS IT LEADS!

E: Yeah, but self-defense doesn't fit our AGENDA.

R: boss I can Spin it to make it look like the shooter was in the wrong.

E: OK, run with it.

Top Bottom