• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Deputy makes split-second decision when armed civilian attempts to help during traffic stop​

Officer was happy for the assistance.
    Of course, Sgt. states that it's a 'bad idea'.

At least she was thankful for the help.
    If a citizen helps an officer they already know they are putting themselves in danger. They accepted that and felt it was the right thing to do.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Vermont

Finally, a DGU the lefties can get behind!

Three guys try to break into 75-year-old Vermonter’s house, he shoots one of them with a muzzleloader. The wounded one collapsed in the neighbor’s yard and is in the hospital in critical condition, his two buddies fled.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    At least she was thankful for the help.
    If a citizen helps an officer they already know they are putting themselves in danger. They accepted that and felt it was the right thing to do.
    I agree, but I would have hoped that I would have had the presence of mind to pull my van diagonally across the drive and used the engine block as cover.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Vermont

Three guys try to break into 75-year-old Vermonter’s house, he shoots one of them with a muzzleloader. The wounded one collapsed in the neighbor’s yard and is in the hospital in critical condition, his two buddies fled.

Was his backup an 1851 Colt Navy or a sword?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Some of us have a real M1906 Light Cavalry Saber, with a real hardened and sharpened battle blade, not a ceremonial one. Wielding one inside a residence with a three foot long blade has its challenges. I'd rather use the 1849 Rifleman's Knife made for Dragoon use with its 12 inch long blade and total length just under 18 inches. That said, if correct technique is used toward an adversary, the saber is even more intimidating to those who haven't encountered major edged weapons than the fixed bayonet on a rifle. It can slash and impale at a distance. In precedence, it and the Rifleman's Knife come after the E in PACE. Easier to use the M1873 Colt Single Action Army.

Trivia:
    Saber edges are only sharpened for slashing on the lower half of the blade. The upper half is relatively dull and used for blocking adversarial saber blows. If sharpened, it could cause the blade to crack or break from a blocked blow.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Vermont

The toxic cloud of smoke has undoubtedly damaged their lungs permanently. They'll probably sue the poor guy for that. That said, I'm cheering the dude was able to wield one inside his home to get an aimed and true shot off. I daresay getting hit with a .50 - .60 caliber lead ball or Minie Ball from a muzzle loader was undoubtedly a BIG surprise.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The toxic cloud of smoke has undoubtedly damaged their lungs permanently. They'll probably sue the poor guy for that. That said, I'm cheering the dude was able to wield one inside his home to get an aimed and true shot off. I daresay getting hit with a .50 - .60 caliber lead ball or Minie Ball from a muzzle loader was undoubtedly a BIG surprise.
    I’m hoping the miscreant’s two disappearing buddies were actually routed because the old guy fixed bayonet…

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Why not all the above?

Years ago I had a friend house sitting our place and he thought he heard an intruder. He quickly moved to the armory to select a defensive weapon and then froze in indecision. He said that, if he was going to kill someone that night and it might be the only person he killed ever, he couldn't decide on what to use...would it be the broadsword, two handed broadsword, two handed Scottish claymore, long sword, various battle axes, sabers, knives and bayonets, or any of the number of firearms. Said he probably would have been killed there by an actual intruder still trying to decide.

If I were he I would probably have been caught putting on the chain mail and plate armor; because why wouldn't you want to go out like a knight.

Had some friends visiting and the lass said that if anyone ever broke in if you just pointed that two handed broadsword at them they would leave. Maybe that's the right choice for intimidation but at bit iffy to use in a hallway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why not all the above?

Years ago I had a friend house sitting our place and he thought he heard an intruder. He quickly moved to the armory to select a defensive weapon and then froze in indecision. He said that, if he was going to kill someone that night and it might be the only person he killed ever, he couldn't decide on what to use...would it be the broadsword, two handed broadsword, two handed Scottish claymore, long sword, various battle axes, sabers, knives and bayonets, or any of the number of firearms. Said he probably would have been killed there by an actual intruder still trying to decide.

If I were he I would probably have been caught putting on the chain mail and plate armor; because why wouldn't you want to go out like a knight.

Had some friends visiting and the lass said that if anyone ever broke in if you just pointed that two handed broadsword at them they would leave. Maybe that's the right choice for intimidation but at bit iffy to use in a hallway.
    1707712735473.png
    When 8 shots of 00buck doesn't fix the problem.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Vermont

I must issue you a citation for failing to include the obligatory copy pasta:

I own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    View attachment 332349
    When 8 shots of 00buck doesn't fix the problem.
    Back when I was in the Army (Armor) I was issued a Grease Gun so I took an M-16 bayonet and bored it out to fit the barrel, it was hilarious. Of course there are no pictures because it would have required cameras and film development; it's much easier to skirt OPSEC now.

Sorry for the :hijack:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Probably coming to the United States soon.
    If you don't carry a rifle in your vehicle now. You may later.
    The FBI told sheriff's around the country that the open borders has allowed many terrorists in.
    Biden and his homeland security pal keep letting them in.

Top Bottom