• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I read several sources that stated back when people were sawing off the barrels of their ARs to make a political point after the Parkland shooting that you must notify the BATFE if you plan on "destroying a firearm". If you just go ahead and do it without their knowledge there can serious legal repercussions. Dick's should just sell them to an FFL holder and write off any loss of profit. But you just know they won't.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I read several sources that stated back when people were sawing off the barrels of their ARs to make a political point after the Parkland shooting that you must notify the BATFE if you plan on "destroying a firearm". If you just go ahead and do it without their knowledge there can serious legal repercussions. Dick's should just sell them to an FFL holder and write off any loss of profit. But you just know they won't.

I'm guessing Dick's will find a way to write them off in any case...

Also, I don't believe the destruction of a firearm to be a legal issue. BATF provides instructions on destroying machine guns... https://www.atf.gov/firearms/machinegun-destruction

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My impression of Dick's is that they really don't give a damn about the people who hunt, fish, camp, etc. in this world. Now if Tiffany doesn't show up to buy little Devin some new soccer cleats, then that's a big problem.

In any case, I gave up on Dick's after their posturing regarding Sandy Hook.

I have as well i have even gone so far as to put duct tape over there logo on both mine and my son's shirt. ( i coach soccer) when someone asks i tell them my position on there store and how I won't support them in any fashion. Not even sure how they got there logos on our shirts not like they do anything for the team's that I am aware of.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Sadly, their stock price is holding fairly steady, which is the only thing that really matters in corporate America.
    Their current stock price is holding fairly steady but they were sinking before the CEO made his comments. Their 52 week stock price high was $52.31 per share. They closed at $32.15 today. One of the reasons I think their CEO has been so outspoken against us gun owners. Trying to get more business from the anti-gunners and slow down the stock price free fall. I think it's a temporary fix and in a few years Dick's Sporting Goods will be a memory.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Their current stock price is holding fairly steady but they were sinking before the CEO made his comments. Their 52 week stock price high was $52.31 per share. They closed at $32.15 today. One of the reasons I think their CEO has been so outspoken against us gun owners. Trying to get more business from the anti-gunners and slow down the stock price free fall. I think it's a temporary fix and in a few years Dick's Sporting Goods will be a memory.

If it was falling BEFORE the comments, how are the comments to blame? The stock has bobbled up and down a bit, but is basically unchanged since the announcement about ARs in the last 35 stores that carried them was made.

They are having the same problem many specialty retailers are having. Amazon and the like is eating their lunch. Foot Locker is down just as much as Dicks in the same time period. Toys R Us went bankrupt. Brick and mortar retail is a tough business, and it's even tougher when you are overpriced. The Internet, mobile phones with price comparison apps, etc. means relying on customers to be ignorant of competitor pricing is a dying business model. If you can't compete on price, you have to compete on experience. Bass Pro being a good example of that, it's more than a store and is a "destination" people go to even without the intent to buy anything just to see it. Dicks lacks that competitive advantage, it's just another store.

They can't compete on price, they can't compete on experience, they can't differentiate on quality of goods...what guns they sell is a side show.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If it was falling BEFORE the comments, how are the comments to blame? The stock has bobbled up and down a bit, but is basically unchanged since the announcement about ARs in the last 35 stores that carried them was made.

They are having the same problem many specialty retailers are having. Amazon and the like is eating their lunch. Foot Locker is down just as much as Dicks in the same time period. Toys R Us went bankrupt. Brick and mortar retail is a tough business, and it's even tougher when you are overpriced. The Internet, mobile phones with price comparison apps, etc. means relying on customers to be ignorant of competitor pricing is a dying business model. If you can't compete on price, you have to compete on experience. Bass Pro being a good example of that, it's more than a store and is a "destination" people go to even without the intent to buy anything just to see it. Dicks lacks that competitive advantage, it's just another store.

They can't compete on price, they can't compete on experience, they can't differentiate on quality of goods...what guns they sell is a side show.
    You apparently mis-read what I wrote. I said it was sinking BEFORE the CEO's comments. Not sure why you are agreeing with me and telling me that I am wrong?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You apparently mis-read what I wrote. I said it was sinking BEFORE the CEO's comments. Not sure why you are agreeing with me and telling me that I am wrong?

Ah, my fault. I read the following as connecting the stock price with gun sales: "They closed at $32.15 today. One of the reasons I think their CEO has been so outspoken against us gun owners."

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Ah, my fault. I read the following as connecting the stock price with gun sales: "They closed at $32.15 today. One of the reasons I think their CEO has been so outspoken against us gun owners."
    It's all good. I might have written it poorly. Basically their stock price has been falling for a year (like many other brick & mortar stores). It's leveled off recently ($32.15 today). And in my opinion I think their CEO thinks in his warped reasoning that he will gain more customers than he loses if he speaks out against guns and gun owners in the hopes (Hail Mary pass) that his company's stock price increases. I think that any jump in sales he might get via his comments will only be temporary and that Dick's is doomed (like other companies as you well pointed out Toys R Us, etc.).

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Dick’s Sporting Goods can go straight to hell. I just saw the report on Fox and friends first about them destroying their so-called assault weapons. Screw them. I will celebrate seeing them go down the tubes. I will never set foot in their store again nor will I ever spend a dime at Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dick's is a store for suburban sporting people. They left the fishing/hunting people behind long ago. The silver lining is that this benefits our LGS's. Really, who amongst us spent firearm monies at Dick's except for in a moment of convenience?

If I found it right in a quick google search - 3% of the population owns half the guns in American. While 30% of the population might have a gun, it probably is not much more than the 3% that really supports the Constitution and 2A issues enough to not shop at Dick's.

Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns | Big Think (anit-gun link alert that contains the stats).

This... more money in overpriced leggings made by juveniles in Thailand. And I'm not going to hate on any place that sells women's athletic leggings. There's something magic about them....

...well, on the right girl.
    I'll boycott if the feminists convince them to stop selling them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Tax law allows a deduction for destroyed inventory, including voluntary destruction of "obsolete merchandise". I wonder if this counts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dick's really makes it's money in golf equipment and clothing. Clothing has a tremendous mark-up. They have bought from places like Viet Nam for decades. They apparently don't really have people involved in sports running the show, just Ivy League "suits". They were always nervous about selling guns. It won't make much difference to them, but I will no longer be a customer. Here, the second largest Bass Pro is only about a quarter of a mile from Dick's, so no great inconvenience. I actually try to support my local small businesses first, anyway.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dick's really makes it's money in golf equipment and clothing. Clothing has a tremendous mark-up. They have bought from places like Viet Nam for decades. They apparently don't really have people involved in sports running the show, just Ivy League "suits". They were always nervous about selling guns. It won't make much difference to them, but I will no longer be a customer. Here, the second largest Bass Pro is only about a quarter of a mile from Dick's, so no great inconvenience. I actually try to support my local small businesses first, anyway.

It's not that you don't make a difference, but that firearms just aren't profitable for them. It's not really their thing. If firearms made up a significant portion of their revenue, they'd never even consider getting rid of them. Think about how much bad mouthing "big box" places that sold firearms have gotten from gun owners. There's always the complaints about things being overpriced, employees holding things back, etc, etc... they weren't really turning a solid profit. Now because they've decided to close up shop, people are angry? Angry at what? That they can no longer buy the overpriced AR they weren't going to buy anyways? :dunno:

Top Bottom