• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's not that you don't make a difference, but that firearms just aren't profitable for them. It's not really their thing. If firearms made up a significant portion of their revenue, they'd never even consider getting rid of them. Think about how much bad mouthing "big box" places that sold firearms have gotten from gun owners. There's always the complaints about things being overpriced, employees holding things back, etc, etc... they weren't really turning a solid profit. Now because they've decided to close up shop, people are angry? Angry at what? That they can no longer buy the overpriced AR they weren't going to buy anyways? :dunno:
    I don't care if they sell guns, or who they sell them too. It is the virtue signaling they are doing that gets me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And I'm not going to hate on any place that sells women's athletic leggings. There's something magic about them....

Ya think????

kzcuAVj.jpg

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's not that you don't make a difference, but that firearms just aren't profitable for them. It's not really their thing. If firearms made up a significant portion of their revenue, they'd never even consider getting rid of them. Think about how much bad mouthing "big box" places that sold firearms have gotten from gun owners. There's always the complaints about things being overpriced, employees holding things back, etc, etc... they weren't really turning a solid profit. Now because they've decided to close up shop, people are angry? Angry at what? That they can no longer buy the overpriced AR they weren't going to buy anyways? :dunno:
    It's the principle of the thing to me. They are just trying to make a big statement by destroying evil black rifles. To me, that statement means that there should be no evil black rifles available to the public. We disagree. I haven't been a regular customer in a while and usually only bought accessories and other sports equipment when I spent my money there. Now, I just won't be spending any money there. They won't notice, but it'll make me happy.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    Never have liked dicks since they bought out Galayns ( my favorite boyhood gun store in plainfield). Even less now, there are other places to buy anything they have.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They had to go extreme to try to pick up customers from the far left looney toon crowd because they alienated and pissed off a lot of their customer base in the middle and right

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They had to go extreme to try to pick up customers from the far left looney toon crowd because they alienated and pissed off a lot of their customer base in the middle and right

They probably make a lot more money off of outdoor wear and shoes than they do firearms, and even hunting gear. And they'll still get the FUDD business for whatever they keep selling there.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    They got "woke" points with the soccer moms that demand things. If you take your kids to Dick's and buy some Nike shoes you are showing the entire PTA group how virtuous you are.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Destroying my a**!

They'll sell them off to somebody behind the scenes. No way in hell they are actually burning proverbial cash by actually destroying them.

If they are actually burning corporate cash by destroying product, they deserve to flounder and die as a corporation because thats just idiotic.
    ^^^^^^^ THIS. What I thought when I heard this. Hope they have plenty of SOCCER uniforms to sell.....
    :rolleyes:

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    When I chose to purchase a new set of golf clubs elsewhere due to Dicks policies, that is the long term that will erode their bottom line. We need to support LGS anyway!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ^^^^^^^ THIS. What I thought when I heard this. Hope they have plenty of SOCCER uniforms to sell.....
    :rolleyes:
    Dick’s makes way more from sports apparel than from sporting goods like outdoor equipment, bikes, fishing rods, footballs, firearms/accessories/ammunition. Because they’ve carried some of that stuff and with a fair selection, it just gets people in the door potentially to include higher margin items.

Destroying $5M worth of guns is not just a write-off. It’s not a lot more than a rounding error in their advertising budget.

I don’t see this as much of a loss of retail bandwidth for the gun/accessories market. They’ve never had a very large selection of anything gun related. I never went to dicks for that stuff other than the rare ammo deal. If I went to dick’s it was for apparel or the hard to find sports stuff. But now I avoid Dick’s because they’re politicizing their business. If they want to take sides, so will I. But, I am under no illusion that they give a **** that they no longer exist in my world. The soccer moms spend way more in their stores on leggings and running shoes than I’ve ever spent on the stuff that I’ve bought there.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    I think its a publicity stunt that will backfire on him, I doubt an actual 5 million, maybe 5 million at his inflated prices but more than likely just a 1 million that he paid. But it's a bad publicity stunt It may go well with the granola trail mix eating sissy boy tree hugger nature types who are already pretty true loyal customers of REI but to their core of American Sportsman who hunt, fish and shoot most will probably all go elsewhere.

If it was 5 million he did more good than bad to the gun industry which is going to have to produce another 5 million in firearms to replace the ones he destroyed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dick’s makes way more from sports apparel than from sporting goods like outdoor equipment, bikes, fishing rods, footballs, firearms/accessories/ammunition. Because they’ve carried some of that stuff and with a fair selection, it just gets people in the door potentially to include higher margin items.

Destroying $5M worth of guns is not just a write-off. It’s not a lot more than a rounding error in their advertising budget.

I don’t see this as much of a loss of retail bandwidth for the gun/accessories market. They’ve never had a very large selection of anything gun related. I never went to dicks for that stuff other than the rare ammo deal. If I went to dick’s it was for apparel or the hard to find sports stuff. But now I avoid Dick’s because they’re politicizing their business. If they want to take sides, so will I. But, I am under no illusion that they give a **** that they no longer exist in my world. The soccer moms spend way more in their stores on leggings and running shoes than I’ve ever spent on the stuff that I’ve bought there.

The fact that Dick's consumed and then euthanized Galyan's is sufficient cause to avoid patronizing them.

Top Bottom