• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Cerberus owns Marlin too. They also helped finish off Chrysler after Daimler almost did them in. From what I have seen everything Cerberus touches turns to crap.

Yeah, I'm aware of that one too. They shut down their factory and "centralized" the production. I fear that they won't be the same. :(

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Until they return to the great selection that Galyan's used to have, I refuse to shop at Dick's. It is nice to know that they are moving in the right direction, but I agree they have a way to go.

Usually I don't hold a grudge, but when it comes to the way Dick's stole and then destroyed Galyan's, I have a hard time letting go.

I couldn't agree more. Galyan's was an awesome store, and I too, feel that Dick's completely ruined everything. I find it so weird/funny when people have no idea what Galyan's was and only know of Dick's.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't see the Dicks in my area getting to the point where they will sell handguns. Maybe someday though. The place is kind of a "trendy" store.:rolleyes:
    That's been my impression, at least with the Greenwood store... mostly high-end "athletic apparel" with their hunting/shooting department relegated to a small out-of-the-way corner on the second floor. Even at that, half their shooting stuff seems to be geared toward paintball and airsoft. :noway:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I can't see the Dicks in my area getting to the point where they will sell handguns. Maybe someday though. The place is kind of a "trendy" store.

Galyans was so much better than Dicks. I always thought of Galyans as a mix between an outfitters store, gun store, sporting goods store, and Army-Navy surplus store. Dicks pretty much is a sporting goods store, with a small gun and outfitters footprint. Gander Mountain coming to town actually helped to fill the large scale outfitter glut. However, GM prices are so high, I would rather spend my money at local places like Rusted Moon Outfitters or on-line. There was also an outfitters place up in Carmel, but I'm not sure if they are still open.

Thankfully we have REI coming to Indy. A new REI store will be opening in Castleton this spring.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    It's business. Dicks purchased Galyans fair and square.

Dicks is out of Pittsburgh and when Galyans started going into their territories, that's when things started to happen for the acquisition.

I really wish Cabela's would go through with their store in INDY, it might level the playing field in this town, and it would make it much easier to find things normally you'd have to go online for.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I bought a new bow at Dicks for sons Birthday. Had their certified bow tech adjust the draw length before I took it home. Got it home bow blew up in sons hands. Took it back they kept it and checked it all out said everything was fine. Very first shot it blew up agin. At first I was told they could not do anything but send it back to PSE I finally got them to give me back my money. After buying anotheher from a archery shop and speaking with PSE we discovered that the draw length had not been adjusted correctly ( the stop was not changed) this is what caused the problem. Needless to say I refuse to shop at Dicks regaurdless of the sale. I have no problem paying more to buy from someone who actually know what the are selling and servicing. We added them to the evil empire list in our home.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Dicks is out of Pittsburgh and when Galyans started going into their territories, that's when things started to happen for the acquisition.

I really wish Cabela's would go through with their store in INDY, it might level the playing field in this town, and it would make it much easier to find things normally you'd have to go online for.

^^^ This! I was so bummed when they backed out. And a Dunham's would be nice too. I'm always jealous of the prices that the guys up north talk about there.

dooleydclown

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Somewhere between Indy and Carmel
    I'd be happy if we could get a full blown MC sports around here. When I'm in the people's republic of Bloomington I get jealous of them. Good selection, reasonable prices generally, and good customer service. My daughter and her husband shop there aot, no real shops handy for them down there.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Dont's:
    Dicks-speaks for itself
    Gander Mountain-a mountain full of crap that u have to gander through to find what u need.
    Don's- who?

Do's:
    Bradis-Good guy, I have his no on speed dial
    Indy Trading Post- up and coming place
    Beech grove Firearms- where to go near beech grove for firearms

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    They occasionally run a decent deal on ammo,

Especially when you go in with a coupon for buying one box of ammo and getting the second box at 50% off, and then the cashier rings up the entire sale for 50% off :) Being an honest guy this would usually bother me quite a bit when a mistake like that is made. However, I used to work for a couple of years at the gun counter at the Galyan's in Carmel prior to moving up to West Lafayette for school. So I guess the way Dicks handled the situation with my previous employer, made the small mistake at the register easier to swallow, no pun intended.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    A couple of my friends and myself worked at Dick's between hs and college only so we could get the employee discount. I have various stories that make me not like that place. Unfortunately its the closest sporting goods store to my house so I still shop there, but I try to only buy from them when I have a coupon of some sort.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I thought Galayns got rid of handguns shortly after that dude killed himself in the way at Castleton Square Mall?

Worked at Galyan's from '87 to '91 (Plainfield and then Pike Plaza when it opened) and we always had handguns.

When was the Castleton suicide?

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Blythes in Valpo had a suicide also....they used to rent guns until this guy came in, rented one and shot himself in the head...60 years old...sheesh

They still have the range but no more renting. :rolleyes:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Correct, when Galyans's decided to expand they went east and marched right into Pittsburgh based Dick's.

Dick's being almost 3 times the size of Galyan's decided the game was on and aggressively built stores in the Indy area and reduced their prices to "kill" the competition in there own back yard. Common practice used by many businesses.

Cabela's, sorry it'll take more than that to put a dent in their dominance here, throw in MC Sports and talk Dunham's into coming back in and turn it back into a sporting goods war, instead of a "Sports Fashion" marketing approach that Dick's has been doing since they bought Galayan's.

Galyans was so much better than Dicks. I always thought of Galyans as a mix between an outfitters store, gun store, sporting goods store, and Army-Navy surplus store. Dicks pretty much is a sporting goods store, with a small gun and outfitters footprint. Gander Mountain coming to town actually helped to fill the large scale outfitter glut. However, GM prices are so high, I would rather spend my money at local places like Rusted Moon Outfitters or on-line. There was also an outfitters place up in Carmel, but I'm not sure if they are still open.

Thankfully we have REI coming to Indy. A new REI store will be opening in Castleton this spring.

Galyan's was a TRUE sporting goods store, sure they had some clothing, but nothing like Dick's "I wanna be a clothing store " disguised as a sporting goods store.

I remember when Galyan's was still around and the old Plainfield store was 75% sporting equipment and 25% clothing. Sometimes the good ole days was really better at a whole lot of things.

Barry.45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    In a house!
    Was in their neighborhood withthe lady,thought I`d giv`em a look,was impressed they quite a few Galco products in stock,MSRP of course,but in Stock!(nuthin worse than waitin to a "gun guy")

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Was in their neighborhood withthe lady,thought I`d giv`em a look,was impressed they quite a few Galco products in stock,MSRP of course,but in Stock!(nuthin worse than waitin to a "gun guy")

I work the gun counter at the Mishawaka Dunham's. I hate to say it but I'm not always readily available. As much as I wish the gun counter was all that existed, it isn't and people having to wait sucks.

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    The gun section at the Dicks near my house is the smallest section in the store. I don't think they even have room for handguns. Support your local gun stores they are way lower on prices.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Dick's chooses not to sell handguns so I choose hot to buy from Dick's. I also like to support local shops as much as I can over the national chains.

This is just a personal choice.

Top Bottom