• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

While the thread title is a bit vague, I think this thread is technically about something different.

Having said that, I actually think Assad is relieved. If the rebel groups are attacking ISIS, they aren't attacking him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They're not going after Assad and/or Syrian forces. They're planning on going after IS in Syria. Two totally different things.

I agree.

The only thing I would add is that a stable, allied Syria would provide a better partner in fighting ISIS than an unstable, hostile-on-a-good-day, Assad-led Syria. If this administration had a comprehensive strategy, they should have a plan to oust Assad.

In other words, like I said upthread, I think Assad is safe. He'll just watch us as we divert resource away from fighting him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hungary cuts off natural gas to Ukraine.
    BBC News - Hungary suspends gas supplies to Ukraine
    Hungary's gas pipeline operator, FGSZ, says it has suspended delivery of gas to neighbouring Ukraine "indefinitely".
    Ukraine has been receiving gas from Hungary, Poland and Slovakia since Russia cut off supplies to Ukraine in June in a dispute over unpaid bills.
    Ukrainian state gas firm Naftogaz confirmed the stoppage, saying it was "unexpected and unexplained".

This comes on the heels of reports that the "worst" of the Ukrainian crises was past.

Maybe not so much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Its all about the hegemony.

At this point, is it safer in the long run to side with the EU or Russia? EU is... unorganized, to put it mildly. Russia has a clear vision and is implementing it. Hungary, and others, are figuring to stay out of the way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Its all about the hegemony.

At this point, is it safer in the long run to side with the EU or Russia? EU is... unorganized, to put it mildly. Russia has a clear vision and is implementing it. Hungary, and others, are figuring to stay out of the way.

I imagine getting to keep the gas on is a pretty nice perk too. It requires a lot of fervor to freeze your butt off in those kinds of winters for the sake of someone elsewhere.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Garry Kasparov on the Putin situation:

EU gets 34% of oil & 32% of gas from Russia. EU accounts for 84% & 80% of RUS exports. Who has more leverage? But only EU afraid to use it. The CEOs who get their bonuses based on stock price & earnings hope to cash a few more big checks before Putin makes more progress.

Western politicians hope Putin doesn't kill too many more people before they can pass him on to the next administration. All short-term. 7 months after Putin annexed Crimea, 10 weeks after his forces shot down a passenger jet, EU "considering" replacing Russian gas. A joke.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom