• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not that I am an expert on this but I like Bend of the River and you have some challenging matches.

I believe your biggest issue attracting shooters is the weekend you choose to shoot it. Northern Indiana has three matches on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends. ACC runs a big match and is doing a great job the same weekend you guys run yours.

Answer: No one has a match offered in Northern Ind on the first weekend of the month. So Everyone within 2 hours of you cannot shoot without going way south. 3-4 hours away.

No I am not shooting every weekend but there would be many times I would drive the 1:45 on the first weekend if there was a match.

I hear what you are saying, but we normally get plenty of shooters, just no help setting up. So as rvb said above it is our local pool that is lacking along with his reason #4. I get that it can be tough to help with set up if you are driving a couple of hours to a match, in this case I always try to offer as much help as I can on tear down.

The club I mentioned that is North of me has a problem because of the day they shoot I think. While I love Saturday matches, it is understandably tough to get people out for Friday set up.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I hear what you are saying, but we normally get plenty of shooters, just no help setting up. So as rvb said above it is our local pool that is lacking along with his reason #4. I get that it can be tough to help with set up if you are driving a couple of hours to a match, in this case I always try to offer as much help as I can on tear down.

The club I mentioned that is North of me has a problem because of the day they shoot I think. While I love Saturday matches, it is understandably tough to get people out for Friday set up.

Ahh my assumption was incorrect. Best of luck to you.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Northern Indiana has three matches on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends. ACC runs a big match and is doing a great job the same weekend you guys run yours.

Answer: No one has a match offered in Northern Ind on the first weekend of the month.

Angola used to shoot on the first Sunday.
    I've thought about moving FtW to 1st Sunday, but there are two conflicts... one personal and one club level. I might consider trying to work out the club-level conflicts if, say, someone wanted to share MD duties so I only had to be there every other Sunday. Doing that would create conflicts w/ some of the MI guys who come down, so might still not be ideal.

I've said it before.... having so many clubs/matches in the region is both a blessing, and a curse. Nice to have so many shooting opportunities so close, but that really divides up the labor pool and the # of shooters at the matches...

-rvb

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    Not that I am an expert on this but I like Bend of the River and you have some challenging matches.

I believe your biggest issue attracting shooters is the weekend you choose to shoot it. Northern Indiana has three matches on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends. ACC runs a big match and is doing a great job the same weekend you guys run yours.

Answer: No one has a match offered in Northern Ind on the first weekend of the month. So Everyone within 2 hours of you cannot shoot without going way south. 3-4 hours away.

No I am not shooting every weekend but there would be many times I would drive the 1:45 on the first weekend if there was a match.

Just FYI, Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club hosts a USPSA match in Brookston,IN on the first Saturday of the month.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    even though I haven't shot a match in a minute......i will chime in here.

Most people don't realize that when you have a long stage (time is what I'm talking about here), accuracy and points matter much more than time. I haven't looked at results on this, but I'm guessing it was a low hit factor stage like around 4. If you do the math here, a 4 or 5 seconds added to a 40 second stage really isn't that much where hit factor is concerned. A few deltas or mikes instead of alphas does make a huge impact.

I have a major disdain for a lot of running and up and down on the ground as I am the old/fat variety and have had a ton of surgeries including multiple spinal fusions and a total knee replacement. However, on a stage like this, I can still be competitive. Do I like it.....*$!# no. But it does expose people to a variety of stages that they normally wouldn't get to see at most local matches. We are lucky in indiana to have the quality matches we have like fort wayne and silver creek as two examples. They are creative and will always have a stage or two that you probably aren't going to see at most locals.

I love it

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The tough shot stage last weekend has me back to the drawing board on reloading.

Too much crimp & too little belling, I think, issues do not show up so much inside of 20 yards.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Angola used to shoot on the first Sunday.
    I've thought about moving FtW to 1st Sunday, but there are two conflicts... one personal and one club level. I might consider trying to work out the club-level conflicts if, say, someone wanted to share MD duties so I only had to be there every other Sunday. Doing that would create conflicts w/ some of the MI guys who come down, so might still not be ideal.

I've said it before.... having so many clubs/matches in the region is both a blessing, and a curse. Nice to have so many shooting opportunities so close, but that really divides up the labor pool and the # of shooters at the matches...

-rvb

I totally understand your what your saying. Only so much time and some must be family.

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    I'm new to the USPSA game and would like to add my opinion to following topics perversely discussed...
    1. retaining new shooters - Supportive people AND don't be a douche bag
    2. stage(s) difficult or easy - mixing it up keeps it enjoyable
    3. obtaining help to setting up - helps new shooters learn from a different perspective (tearing down just sucks :()

1. Retaining new shooters: Must have good representatives of the sport. GREAT people, like Max Bedwell and then Justin Williams, helped and continue to support me. THANKS guys!! I hope this is the norm but the few matches I have attended the squad members were very helpful (Alex, Drew and Chase to name a few). I probably pissed them off by the several questions but they didn't show it. I feel for me its the people I meet and how I'm treated and not so much how I shoot. Yes shooting well is always a plus but after I completely F - ed up a stage someone, or more then one squad member, would come up to me and tell me it was ok and offer whatever advice he/she thought would help. So basically I will continue to shoot this game because my fellow squad members have always encouraged me after a complete failure. They always told me when I did something right....which was not that much...LOL! So again .... don't be a douche bag! USPSA will be no GREATER then its shooters.

2. Stage(s) difficult or easy: I LOVE a mix of fast/speed type, tough, simple and anything else. A HUGE hat off to all those that make this game possible here in Indiana. I hope to attend higher level matches in the further and like the fact that at local matches I'm seeing those type of stages. So THANKS Mike for the tough stages at the last Silver Creek match that you designed AND KEEP them coming.

3. Obtaining help to setting up: I like the fact that at Atlanta, a weeks ago, they offer the match free if you come early and help set up. Myself and another new shooter went up early and learned a lot from just setting up and interacting with the match director and several other experienced shooters. So to keep this short, I feel, my friend and I really enjoyed the chance to go help set up because it offered the match for free, we were able to begin our knowledge base by talking with experienced shooters and learning about the stages from a set up stand point.

Bottom line I will continue in this sport, and feel other new shooters will as well, based heavily on our experience with the shooters and not so much how we do at matches. Us newbies don't really get all the finer points, yet, but want to attend a shooting sport that has cool people willing to help and support. Again ... DON'T BE A DOUCHE BAG!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm new to the USPSA game and would like to add my opinion to following topics perversely discussed...
    1. retaining new shooters - Supportive people AND don't be a douche bag
    2. stage(s) difficult or easy - mixing it up keeps it enjoyable
    3. obtaining help to setting up - helps new shooters learn from a different perspective (tearing down just sucks :()

1. Retaining new shooters: Must have good representatives of the sport. GREAT people, like Max Bedwell and then Justin Williams, helped and continue to support me. THANKS guys!! I hope this is the norm but the few matches I have attended the squad members were very helpful (Alex, Drew and Chase to name a few). I probably pissed them off by the several questions but they didn't show it. I feel for me its the people I meet and how I'm treated and not so much how I shoot. Yes shooting well is always a plus but after I completely F - ed up a stage someone, or more then one squad member, would come up to me and tell me it was ok and offer whatever advice he/she thought would help. So basically I will continue to shoot this game because my fellow squad members have always encouraged me after a complete failure. They always told me when I did something right....which was not that much...LOL! So again .... don't be a douche bag! USPSA will be no GREATER then its shooters.

2. Stage(s) difficult or easy: I LOVE a mix of fast/speed type, tough, simple and anything else. A HUGE hat off to all those that make this game possible here in Indiana. I hope to attend higher level matches in the further and like the fact that at local matches I'm seeing those type of stages. So THANKS Mike for the tough stages at the last Silver Creek match that you designed AND KEEP them coming.

3. Obtaining help to setting up: I like the fact that at Atlanta, a weeks ago, they offer the match free if you come early and help set up. Myself and another new shooter went up early and learned a lot from just setting up and interacting with the match director and several other experienced shooters. So to keep this short, I feel, my friend and I really enjoyed the chance to go help set up because it offered the match for free, we were able to begin our knowledge base by talking with experienced shooters and learning about the stages from a set up stand point.

Bottom line I will continue in this sport, and feel other new shooters will as well, based heavily on our experience with the shooters and not so much how we do at matches. Us newbies don't really get all the finer points, yet, but want to attend a shooting sport that has cool people willing to help and support. Again ... DON'T BE A DOUCHE BAG!
    I'd like to hear more about the douche bags. :)

Top Bottom