• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    It's looking like a 650XL is the direction I am going,, looks like the case feeder for a Hornady is a fair amount more, as an option than a 650XL case feeder.

The Dillon 650 has a powder check option that I like,

in the INGO's group opinion, is there anything else other than the powder check that is a must have?

All i need is a good price, so a suggested/preferred vendor would be nice too:ingo:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Dillon 650 is very good. You may not need the powder check depending on the rounds you are doing. 9mm, .380 and .40 you can visually check the powder as it rotates. Two things you may want to check into before you buy. One is another resizer to take care of the "glock" bulge. Just do a search on it. Also, the 650 will need a slight modification otherwise you will get a slight hesitation as it rotates which causes powder to come out of the casing on .40 or smaller. Not sure about larger brass. Two modifications. Do a search. One: Clipping a little off the spring Two: Installing a bearing. I have done both and either works fine.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    no im on here and snipershide and a few other gun forums under this name. i usto have a vette (when i started using this) and never changed when i sold the car

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Dillon 650 is very good. You may not need the powder check depending on the rounds you are doing. 9mm, .380 and .40 you can visually check the powder as it rotates. Two things you may want to check into before you buy. One is another resizer to take care of the "glock" bulge. Just do a search on it. Also, the 650 will need a slight modification otherwise you will get a slight hesitation as it rotates which causes powder to come out of the casing on .40 or smaller. Not sure about larger brass. Two modifications. Do a search. One: Clipping a little off the spring Two: Installing a bearing. I have done both and either works fine.

Excellent info, I am an ME by trade, can run a Bridgeport mill, lathe, heli-arc welder etc,, if i "have" to do mods, I can but I am surprised a little that a mod would be necessary, but it is nice to know that you have not needed to do any mods yourself.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Looks like I will pick up a new 650XL from a forum member this week.

The bearing thing is sort of strange, in reading the Enos forums it appears that the ratchet and detent mechanism is a little rough,,,,,,

since I work with designing custom automation, I will see what the deal is when I get it home.

I am wondering,,,, can I can hook up the filler tubes with out the case and bullet feeders? :dunno:

Oh yeah, now all I need for th Dillon is a shell plate and a set of dies to get up and going?

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I purchased my dillon 650 earlier this year. I have reloaded 12g shotgun shells for years but nothing beyond that. I did some research on reloading and purchased a manual "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it cover to cover. I really did not have any problems learning how to use the press and questions I did have were answered by the awesome people on this forum.

Sounds like you won't have a problem at all. Since you are going to purchase the dies I would highly encourage you to look into an additional resizing die to take care of the "glock" bulge. There is a lot of information on this. Quite a bit on this forum. Most recommend a die that is not a dillon but is compatable.

When I purchased my setup I did it through Brian Enos. I ran everything by him and he made suggestions on additions and deletions. I would recommend sending him an email on accesories. The modifications to the press are not dificult and with your background you should actually have fun doing it. You will need to fiddle with a few things to get it working perfectly. If I remember correctly I had to adjust the spend primer basket and some other things.
    Also make sure you when mounting the press that the handle can move all the way down. I didn't and had to cut a hunk out of my bench. The case feeder is a MUST have. A bullet feeder is nice to have as well.

There are a lot of people on here that are much more experienced than I am with the dillon press. I also highly recommend reading the sticky on starting in reloading. It was extremely helpful.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Excellent info, I am an ME by trade, can run a Bridgeport mill, lathe, heli-arc welder etc,, if i "have" to do mods, I can but I am surprised a little that a mod would be necessary, but it is nice to know that you have not needed to do any mods yourself.

It surprised me to especially after I started doing some research on it. there is a lot of info out there and I thought "why doesn't dillon fix the problem?" Still do not have an answer for that.

Once I had the setup running the way I wanted it I love the press. I can really crank on it If you are going to run several different calibers and can afford it I would highly recommend buying a tool head for each caliber. It will drastically reduce your setup time for each caliber.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    For now, I will order the reloading book, make my own Strong Mounts, and get it set up and start with the basic 650XL package.

If this bearing thing is the best solution, it seems like a cheap fix really,,,

Maybe my wife will get me a feeder for Christmas:D

From Enos:
    The basic 650 includes the following:

One powder measure with standard large and small powder bars (small bar installed), Small bar throws from 2.1 to 15 grains of powder, Large bar throws from 15 to 55(extruded type)-60(ball/spherical type) grains of powder.
    One prime system with large and small priming parts(appropriate size installed).
    One large and one small primer pick-up tube.
    One loaded cartridge bin
    One toolhead
    One powder die
    One caliber conversion kit - installed
    One set of standard Allen wrenches

No dies are included with the machine.

For the high speed this machine operates at, either Dillon dies or Redding Pro-Series dies are your best bet. The mouths of the dies are chamfered to guide brass and bullets straight into the die. Your 650 also includes the clear plastic case feed tube and a support post, so you may manually stack brass up in the tube. You will need a powder scale, loading manual, and a primer flip tray in order to reload ammo.
    The powder check is a sensor that goes into the case and checks the height of the powder column inside the case. If the sensor rod is either lifted too high, or not high enough, it makes an annoying sound. It is only checking for gross error in the powder charge, variations over +/- 2 or so grains. Most often it detects when a foreign object is in a case, or the measure has run out of powder, as the measure is quite consistant.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    One modification I would recommend is on the Enos forums is to do away with the spent primer cup. When I had mine it seemed like every 4th or fifth spent primer ended up on the floor.

On the Enos forum there is a modification to add a tube from where the spent primer drops thru to a bucket (or I used an empty 2 liter pop bottle using a piece of 45 LC brass. Never had a spent primer on the floor after I added this. Cost was about $5.00.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    One modification I would recommend is on the Enos forums is to do away with the spent primer cup. When I had mine it seemed like every 4th or fifth spent primer ended up on the floor.

On the Enos forum there is a modification to add a tube from where the spent primer drops thru to a bucket (or I used an empty 2 liter pop bottle using a piece of 45 LC brass. Never had a spent primer on the floor after I added this. Cost was about $5.00.

Great idea. I have that problem as well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It looks like you are on your way. Make sure that your bench is very stable. I use the Dillon Strong mount with the 650, but not the 550. I load standing up with the 650. I would also recommend the Dillon Low Primer Warning. The primer tube runs up and down with the 650 and it is not as obvious when the primers get low, as on the 550. You need to use a very smooth technique when operating the 650. You might also consider cutting a coil off the spring that puts tension on the indexing ball under the "table". That smooths down the indexing operation. I use a good lube on the ram and other parts that need it, on the 650.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    OK, just spoke with Brian Enos and placed the order for the 650XL, strong mounts, bullet tray, carbide die set, should ship tomorrow from Scottsdale, AZ

pass the blue kool-aid,,,, and let the games ,, begin...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Low Primer and Case Feeder are must haves (and I do have on my 650).

The low powder (I have) isn't worth it. The cylinder is clear and right in front of you. I never let it get more than 3/4 empty.

The powder check (I don't have) didn't make sense to me either. I'm not sure of it's sensitivity, but I was doing a lot of loading with Titegroup, which is very dense so there isn't a lot of volume taken up in a 40 S&W case. Instead, I got a 2" inspection mirror and zip-tied it to my case feed arm. The mirror lets me look down the hole on station #3 and into the case for a visual check. Works for me. YMMV.

The other modification I do is to clip 1/2 a coil out of the detent ball spring under the shell plate. I also put a bit of Brian's Slide Glide grease on the ball, the shell plate bolt, and the underside of the shell plate. It smooths the action out very nicely.

Top Bottom