• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I paid what a 650 costs it darn sure better work right without modification. Why don't the purveyors of this blue KoolAid fix this?:dunno:

For some rounds it is an issue - like cases that are clear full or nearly full of powder, OR some of the shorter pistol cartridges (9mm, 40 S&W). For other cases, it isn't. It works either way. But, even great equipment can be tweaked to be just a bit better.

prsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I have an XL650 with case feed, powder check, low primer alarm and I purchased it from a dealer. However if I was to do it over I would purchase direct from Dillon. Talk with them, they will make recommendations and give a "No B.S." answer. They have given me a lot of help and when something goes wrong they take care of it. My brother has 2 650's and the 900 shotshell loader. Between the two of us we load .308, .223, .380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 Acp, 38/357, and 45 LC. We didn't have to make any modifications to make any caliber work.
    I had an accident with my primer feed, My fault, and Dillon replaced everything free. They are great people and the best Warranty in the business.

prsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers
    No, I lived in Kansas City at the time. The Dealer was okay, but because he wasn't all that knowledgeable about reloading it cost me several trips to get everything I needed and wanted. 22 miles each way.
    It is just so much easier buying direct from Dillon, and you don't save much if any from the dealer
    One trip for the dies, one for the strong mounts (which are needed to get the press high enough to load correctly), and another for some of the accessory's I needed.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    No, I lived in Kansas City at the time. The Dealer was okay, but because he wasn't all that knowledgeable about reloading it cost me several trips to get everything I needed and wanted. 22 miles each way.
    It is just so much easier buying direct from Dillon, and you don't save much if any from the dealer
    One trip for the dies, one for the strong mounts (which are needed to get the press high enough to load correctly), and another for some of the accessory's I needed.

I got mine from Brian Enos, he is in Arizona @ 20 minutes way from Dillon Precision and he works closely with them and has for years, I think Dillon direct and Enos are two safe bets for getting knowledgeable service and quick answers :yesway:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I second the suggestion to get a set of dies for each caliber. Once you find your pet load, it is SOOOOOO much easier to just switch out the dies! Best of luck and safe shooting.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    You'll love the 650, it quite a machine!!! Over time, You'll definalty want to add the "quick change" tool heads for each caliber, never have to fart with your die adjustments that way. The handle is fine, but once you use the roller handle you'll never go back....LOL

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Question, what ups with the selection of handles for the 650?

Is the handle that comes with it no good or uncomfortable etc?

The optional aluminum roller handle is a lot easier on the hand than the original ball that comes with the press. Once you get in a groove and start reloading an hour or two at a time, you'll appreciate the aluminum roller handle.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    :ingo::yesway:Gonna make my own pedestal, it will look just like the Dillon pedestal accessory but cost less than 1/2.

dillon.jpg

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I have had the XL 650 since about 1998. I have the casefeeder. Get it, you won't regret it. I had all the bells and whistles too. I ended up getting rid of the low primer indicator and just doing it by eye. IMO, the dillon throws ball powders very accurately. The powder sensor doesn't measure minute fluxuations, just gross ones. Useless.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Well I put it together a week ago, only took 30-minutes tops, and then decided to buy the roller handle which should arrive any day. I was not fond of the The round knob,,, it seems to me that Dillon should discount the roller handle when you buy the roller handle "instead" of the round knob/handle, I guess I can use the round knob and handle for a coat rack:D

I've have stocked up on primers, powder, bullets and casings. So I will throw some heat to the garage and maybe make some rounds this Saturday.

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    My best advice for the reloading set up is brass preperation! Thats right brass inspection. no military cripped primers no steel cases and no blaser crap. No other cailbers in your brass.. no .22'S in side the cases. Never force anything stop and look.. learn the machine the way it feels and sounds. you want a smooth run. no problems no stoping when your in a groove. When the prime low aleart sounds . I preform a quality check meauser the oal and check the weight of the powder charge.Inspect the powder level and refill bullets ..dump the loaded cases and throw in more brass. then I case gauge a1ll the rounds looking for high primers and smeared ones ect.. Good luck.. any problems just call 18002234570! eASY!

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Dillon Square Deal now loading 9.40 and 38. I would like to upgrade to a 650 but unsure if it will be any faster that the square deal until I add the case feeder. What is everyones thoughts? will the stock 650 be faster? if so why.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    My suggestion, buy an extra parts kit (if you haven't already.) Eventually you're going to need a part, and its a pain to wait for them to show up in the mail.

Top Bottom