May 12, 2013
    Camby area

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    perhaps for "liability sake" a community/church based offsite gathering to form plans outside of the church's official acknowledgment? Personally me and cousin (LEO) have a plan for our families and those in vicinity when at regular functions.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes. It has changed one member of our team’s plan. Not realizing that little kids can’t run fast or far changed our plans and made some of our classrooms skip the first step and go straight to lockdown in an adjacent hardened room.

Very good point. I think since we have a split door on out nursery we will be looking at options to secure the two halves shut. A big challenge that I have been trying to work through is how to protect our kids during childrens church. Our kids get released after the service starts. Depending on what the activities are planned as to where the kids go. Mostly they go into a classroom in the basement, but in summer they occasionally will go outside for part of the time. Ideally, I would like to see them going to the same classroom every week which would make it much easier to keep track of where they are if a situation would come up. We just can't seem to get the childrens church workers on board with the whole concept. (Super liberal. Nothing's going to happen type that thinks we are paranoid).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This issue was brought up in our Trustee's meeting the other day. Come to find out, our church has started taking steps. Itll be interesting to see what comes of this.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not sure if anybody of you listen to Moody radio but yesterday they had an hours of Chris Fabry Live devoted to church security. I wasn't able to listen to all of it but what I listened to was both valuable (hearing some of the experts weigh in) and eye-opening (many carriers are naïvely thinking they're superman and going to save the day).

ETA, forgot the link: https://www.moodyradio.org/programs...ecurity---understanding-personality-disorder/

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    God wasn't too helpful in Texas.

Ever notice how many lightning rods are on churches these days.

Believe in all the gods you want ,worship all day I don't care but don't think for an instant that any god is going to deflect a bullet for you or anyone else.

What ever happened to god helps those who help themselves.

I would rather have steel to decide my fate than a quote on paper. If it's your time it's your time but don't make it easy.
    Its easy to hit 911 on a cell phone or pull a fire alarm. but it's also easy to use a front sight on a bunch of people with their backs turned.. I can still worship freely and carry a piece.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if anybody of you listen to Moody radio but yesterday they had an hours of Chris Fabry Live devoted to church security. I wasn't able to listen to all of it but what I listened to was both valuable (hearing some of the experts weigh in) and eye-opening (many carriers are naïvely thinking they're superman and going to save the day).

ETA, forgot the link: https://www.moodyradio.org/programs...ecurity---understanding-personality-disorder/
    You can come to that conclusion in about two hours on INGO.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You can come to that conclusion in about two hours on INGO.

Maybe I'm just naïve then but I feel like we have a lot fewer "superman types" on INGO than out in the real world. I guess the point I'm making is that too many people just don't think critically about the situation... One commenter called in and said, "I will draw and take them out" Yet he doesn't know where the target is, how many targets there are, what is beyond, what may cross the line of fire right as he pulls the trigger, and what good guys may be shooting etc. He's made a quick conclusion that he is taking out the person shooting without actually considering that his first step is to ensure he is secure where he is, followed by assessing the threat, and assessing potential collateral damage before he even considers firing. Yes, INGO is not immune to this, but I would like to think that we're of a higher understanding about the risks and issues faced. Once again, maybe I'm just naïve to this.

The fact of the matter is, movie theatre, church, school sporting event, it doesn't matter. In a crowded place it is going to be VERY difficult to make a clean shot in the initial moments of an attack. After people duck/run/fall wounded the acceptable lines of fire may clear up a bit but if you're standing there with gun in hand that entire time you face being a victim yourself.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    (many carriers are naïvely thinking they're superman and going to save the day).

There is truth in this statement. However, information and training increases the odds of not freezing in place like a deer in headlights. Obviously there is no guarantee of survival in an attack. But the whole point is to increase the odds to our favor and to be as prepared as we can (within reason) to survive and to potentially save others IF such an event occurs. I'm a firm believer in the Boy Scout motto...Be Prepared.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update:

I met with my church board today and proposed the security and safety upgrades. Nothing was denied. Based on The Avoid/Deny/Defend model I proposed locks for ALL interior doors, first aid kit upgrades, AED, training, lighting upgrades/repairs, radios, emergency lighting, and glass safety. Even an expensive card access control was well received for the control and accountability it gives vs. the "God-only-knows how many door keys are floating around out there and who is coming and going with it when they maybe shouldnt be" situation.

Not everything was approved for immediate implementation, but none of my ideas were shut down outright and taken off the table. It was a good day, and I feel like God put me in this new church when he did for a reason (we have been here less than 6 months); we all share most of the same views, and I feel my prior skills/training and expertise are helping tremendously. (Like knowing things we cant do that others planned on doing because it isn't obvious it is wrong/dangerous)

I take that back. My CCTV plan was iffy. It is at least the absolute LAST thing on the list, teetering on the edge of falling off. But we all know cameras do nothing to deter an active shooter. But they are looking into whether putting cameras in the classrooms combined with a small "video wall" in the hall would satisfy the safe sanctuary rules. We have several rooms with doors without windows. Under safe sanctuary rules, all classrooms must have a windowed door or the door left open so nothing can be hidden for safety. Open doors are not conducive to security. A $150 camera is much cheaper than a solid wood commercial door with a window. But I'm still happy we are covering the important things.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I received an email from Sheepdog Church Security about a new book they have released called. Defending the Flock: A Security Guide for Church Safety Directors. Has anyone heard of it or read it?
    I may just buy one to see what kind of info is there if it's not too expensive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I received an email from Sheepdog Church Security about a new book they have released called. Defending the Flock: A Security Guide for Church Safety Directors. Has anyone heard of it or read it?
    I may just buy one to see what kind of info is there if it's not too expensive.

They have a Facebook presence and I'll occasionally skim through what they post up but I haven't bought any of their stuff.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went ahead and ordered the book, Defending the Flock: A security guide for Church safety directors. I found it for $15 from amazon and received it on Wednesday. I have started reading it and so far I think it is a very well thought out, methodical approach to establishing a safety team. So far I am impressed and would recommend it to anyone who is helping establish a safety team at their church.

So what progress have others made?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just finished reading the book Defending the Flock. This was a really good book and I highly recommend it to all those who are interested in/currently working through forming Church Safety team.
    Excellent information that utilized a number of resources and gives great advise how to present it and teach the concepts to the rest of the safety team. I was expecting it to be really dry and difficult to stay engaged, but it wasn't like that at all. It kept my attention and even prompted me to make some notes, mark pages/chapters for quick reference.

Buy a copy, you won't be disappointed

Top Bottom