• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    precision machine, compared to some others.
    :whistle:

The m4/m16 is a precision machine and our troops in the middle east hate them. They jam quickly in the talcum powder like sand. One foot out of the shower and youre covered in the stuff. The ak is so perfect out there because its loose and simple. I think the glock is the ak of the pistol world. Simple, but effective. Not saying the 1911 isnt, but dont trash glocks because some noob said "end of discussion" :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The m4/m16 is a precision machine and our troops in the middle east hate them. They jam quickly in the talcum powder like sand. One foot out of the shower and youre covered in the stuff. The ak is so perfect out there because its loose and simple. I think the glock is the ak of the pistol world. Simple, but effective. Not saying the 1911 isnt, but dont trash glocks because some noob said "end of discussion" :D

Understood young man.:yesway: I'm not.
    Just answering a question.

See if our guys would trade for the AK? Doubt it.

I take nothing away from the Glock. If I was your age, that would be my gun.

Pot stirrers that choose to trash a thread, I got no room for them. Simple as that.

BTW - That is a way cool avatar.

BTW2 - The 1911 has worked pretty well for me for thirty years. I'm very sure I'll stick with it 'till something changes my mind.

BTW3 - I doubt I'll go into Glack threads to suggest they switch to 1911's. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    sheesh. this discussion goes on. sear sear sear.. yes I know. If you read the description on a hammer spring from wilson combat it's clear that a reduced power hammer spring does lighten trigger pull, and from my experience it was dramatic. they wouldnt be sold if they werent meant to be used. this is all a learning process and i most definitely endorse exploring the in's and outs of any pistol you own and use. you should be intuitive with your firearms. they deserve as much from you. refining the sear has a great effect on the triggers break as much as it lightens it. I'm aware of that. why is there so much touchiness about this?

ps- still no malfunctions of any sort.

They wouldnt be sold if they werent meant to be used.....

I could go SO many ways with this..... :rockwoot:

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    Besides all the back and forth (touchiness and herpe derp) there was some good info to be had here. I havent tried to mod either of my 1911's but the info here was very helpful about the do's and dont's of 1911 trigger lightening. it was pretty entertaining as well.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My question is..., why the misleading subject line?

You bought a brand new Range Officer that you admit was pretty good out of the box and then you started jacking with it...

How about "Disgruntled with Owner of 1911"?

:D

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Its apparent how many different ways you can go Dom: you continue to infer that I havent shot the gun. The thread was created with one single thing in question. A mainspring. Judging from the colorful array of responses the mainspring was the last thing on anyone's mind, though I do appriciate all responses.
    ps- another day with no malfunctions (thats 400 rounds of Winchester 230 HB since I started this thread. WC spring left in)
    Joshua

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

Oh, 1911's aren't always the finicky beasts some folks make them out to be.

YouTube - 1911 Muck Test

Sorry for the rough language. I don't know what I was thinking...

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    See if our guys would trade for the AK? Doubt it.

BTW - That is a way cool avatar.

BTW2 - The 1911 has worked pretty well for me for thirty years. I'm very sure I'll stick with it 'till something changes my mind.

I have a ton of buddies out there that would love a 7.62. All the insurgents out there are on opium and our .223s arent doing **** to bring them down. I understand why we use them, highly precise, low recoil, you can carry a ****load of them compared to the 7.62... but personally I dont like the caliber much. Also, our milled guns are SO precise that, like I said, they jam in the sand. If we had a war on american soil (god forbid) I think youd be crazy not to use an m4/ar15/m16... but for the wars that were fighting now... not the best tool for the job. :dunno:

Thank you! My neighbor/friend is an artist (an amazing one at that) and he drew me. He did it in like 5 seconds. Awesome stuff.

I love 1911s, My next handgun will probably be a two tone rock island 1911. I was just saying I love glocks too :)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If you're going to work on a 1911, please take the time to learn.

I studied that single platform under a master gunsmith for two years (til his death) and am still learning.

It's not a hard weapon to master, but you do have to know tricks.

For example, that spring would have gone right in. You needed to get a piece of plywood, drive a nail through it, and blunt the end.

With the nail facing up, use it to compress the plunger. Remove the retaining pin and slowly release. Installation is reverse of removal, and should be just as easy.

Josh

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If you're going to work on a 1911, please take the time to learn.

I studied that single platform under a master gunsmith for two years (til his death) and am still learning.

It's not a hard weapon to master, but you do have to know tricks.

For example, that spring would have gone right in. You needed to get a piece of plywood, drive a nail through it, and blunt the end.

With the nail facing up, use it to compress the plunger. Remove the retaining pin and slowly release. Installation is reverse of removal, and should be just as easy.

Josh

Josh,

I know that you know your 1911's, but in this case the spring would never work. Springfield has an internal locking system (ILS) in their MSH that changes the standard main spring, retainer pin and mainspring cap. In a Springfield, these parts are dimensionally different to accommodate the ILS locking function.

I pretty much forget about the ILS components because that is the first thing I change on a Springfield 1911, and I never have to think about them again... Out with the ILS and in with a standard MSH.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Josh,

I know that you know your 1911's, but in this case the spring would never work. Springfield has an internal locking system (ILS) in their MSH that changes the standard main spring, retainer pin and mainspring cap. In a Springfield, these parts are dimensionally different to accommodate the ILS locking function.

I pretty much forget about the ILS components because that is the first thing I change on a Springfield 1911, and I never have to think about them again... Out with the ILS and in with a standard MSH.

I entirely agree glass. The moment I can afford to switch out the MSH, I will be doing so. Joshua

Argh! I figured it was a pre-lock. I hate those locks.

Shoot me a PM with your mailing addy and I'll send you a flat mainspring housing. (I don't think I have any curved ones except those I've taken from Springfields...)

Josh

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have a ton of buddies out there that would love a 7.62. All the insurgents out there are on opium and our .223s arent doing **** to bring them down. I understand why we use them, highly precise, low recoil, you can carry a ****load of them compared to the 7.62... but personally I dont like the caliber much. Also, our milled guns are SO precise that, like I said, they jam in the sand. If we had a war on american soil (god forbid) I think youd be crazy not to use an m4/ar15/m16... but for the wars that were fighting now... not the best tool for the job. :dunno:

Thank you! My neighbor/friend is an artist (an amazing one at that) and he drew me. He did it in like 5 seconds. Awesome stuff.

I love 1911s, My next handgun will probably be a two tone rock island 1911. I was just saying I love glocks too :)

yay-internet.jpg

Top Bottom