• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Our current dishwasher (GE QuietPower3) does not get the dishes clean. Every time I load it, I have to clean out the jets in the arms with a pipe cleaner. I've run vinegar through it and it helped for one or two cycles, but then it's back to not cleaning the dishes. We do not have hard water, so that's not an issue.

I'm normally pretty budget-minded, but I'm ready to spend some decent money to have a dishwasher that actually works. Any recommendations of makes or models? I probably would go $700-800.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Our house came with a basic kenmore dishwasher, which lasted 15 years and did the job. Then when that one crapped out we got a Whirlpool from Lowes and it's really nice. So quiet you don't know it's on.

BTW: My wife has always insisted on a good rinsing before putting anything in the dishwasher. That, along with having a good water softener probably helps a dishwasher last longer.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Our current dishwasher (GE QuietPower3) does not get the dishes clean. Every time I load it, I have to clean out the jets in the arms with a pipe cleaner. I've run vinegar through it and it helped for one or two cycles, but then it's back to not cleaning the dishes. We do not have hard water, so that's not an issue.

Bosch makes a good one. Pretty quiet too. My Mother has one.

BTW If hard water is not an issue it is your soap. The system is so plugged up from the inert material in the soap it has to be taken apart and cleaned. I bet if you take the whole system apart you will find a pound of the crap plugging up everything. On our old one I cleaned out all the spinners and the goofy round thing a the bottom. (it was full of stuff!!!) Worked like new. Not sure what would be better, maybe the liquid soap or not as much. Most of the soaps are getting concentrated so you should use less, but everyone still uses the same amount. Look at the laundry soap you should use a 1/4" if you read the instructions. But everyone tosses a whole cup in. Ahh who reads instructions anymore?????

Since we moved we clean the dishes in the sink. Easier faster.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I use to work for Sears as a home appliace repairman when after I got out of the service in 1998. #1 then would be the Bosch units then Whirlpool. Has your dishwasher always been lacking in the operational department or did it just start getting worse? It could be the heating element is bad or its electrical circuit which turns it on. Many people also do not realize that a dishwasher is suppose to be hooked up to the HOT WATER line. The dishwasher heating element is able to raise the temp another 20degrees or so....that isnt any good if you have it hooked up to the cold line which is running 50-70degrees! Are you using the correct dishwashing detergent? Hard water can also play a part in plugging up the dishwasher and coating the heating element with lime/calcium etc.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    We just went through this new dishwasher replacement mess. Our Kenmore did a decent job but the front panel door cover rusted and we couldn't get a replacement stainless cover. We just bought a GE from Home Depot. It seems to be doing fine & is super quiet. I kinda wanted a matching Frigidaire but wifey said the racks and sliders "felt flimsey". The Frigidaire finish sure is great though. No finger prints or smudges at all.

Like Rem says, run you sink hot water until it's hot before starting the dishwasher. Getting really hot water into the dishwasher helps a LOT. The Bosch reviews are great. Their cost, designs & features really didn't appeal to us though.

I used to run a cup of CLR though every month or so. Worked really well at cleaning the spray nozzles.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I stopped using a dishwasher about a year ago. I found that if I take 5 minutes after a meal, my dishes are done and sparkling clean. I don't miss loading and unloading.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    We use our dishwasher as mostly a drying rack... everything scrubed w/ a dish brush first, then loaded... they cycle in the dishwasher is pretty much just to sanitize and dry so we can put away several meals worth of dish's at the same time. I scrub them, and she loads them.... we share unloading duties.... pots, pans, and kitchen knives get washed by hand dried and put away and do NOT go through the dishwasher.... this method has served us really well.

I put a 1/4 cup of viniger in with EVERY cycle (we have hard INDPLS water), and use liquid soap not the powder.... don't use the tray for it either... just squirt it right on the door and close.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the input.

I use the liquid "pods" (I think Cascade.) Dishwasher is hooked up to the hot line, and I also run the hot water in the faucet before running the dishwasher. This one has never worked as well as the other ones I have had. When we bought the house six years ago, there was an old KitchenAid. It crapped out in a couple of months, and although we had a home warranty, they did not replace with the same model. They replaced with a $300 GE.

I'm not big on rinsing or scraping, but I will pre-soak something if it's been sitting a while and has dried. This has not been an issue with any of the other units I've had.

I will look into the Bosch. Any thoughts on KitchenAid?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    BTW, I don't rinse or wash any dishes, pots, pans, etc. I throw them in, and they come out clean. Pots and pans get the "storm wash" selection.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife always prewashes the dishes before loading in the dish washer, so I can't say how good a job it really does. It's just a habit.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for the input.

I use the liquid "pods" (I think Cascade.) Dishwasher is hooked up to the hot line, and I also run the hot water in the faucet before running the dishwasher. This one has never worked as well as the other ones I have had. When we bought the house six years ago, there was an old KitchenAid. It crapped out in a couple of months, and although we had a home warranty, they did not replace with the same model. They replaced with a $300 GE.

I'm not big on rinsing or scraping, but I will pre-soak something if it's been sitting a while and has dried. This has not been an issue with any of the other units I've had.

I will look into the Bosch. Any thoughts on KitchenAid?

Kitchenaid is a high end subdivision of Whirlpool. Kenmore appliances could be a GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag and many others. The first three digits of a kenmore model number will tell you who actually made it for Sears. (You have to google the model number prefix to find out). There is no such thing as a Kenmore factory. Sears contracts out EVERY kenmore appliance just like ALL craftsman labeled products are also contracted out to be built. IE: most craftsman lawnmowers are built by MTD (Murray Tractor Division). All 110 prefix washers/dryers are whirlpool units.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I would run it empty with some Lemishine, once or even twice. Lemishine will eat all the crud away and leave the dishwasher running like new. Then use a bit of Lemishine in every wash. Our dishes never looked cleaner.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    No matter what we do, our LG dishwasher (about 2 yeards old) will stink up our entire kitchen when opened. I've disassembled everything I can get my hands on and have cleaned extensively. We even tried basically pre-washing dishes to help minimize the smell of them sitting in there. We even tried several YouTube tricks with vinegar and such. No luck. LG probably isn't on the short list of dishwasher recommendations anyway, but it was there when we moved in :dunno:

Top Bottom