• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend any LG kitchen appliances. Had a 2 yr old microwave bite the dust. It kept getting stuck in a certain mode and you couldn't do anything. Replaced the keypad, brains, and wiring - still wouldn't work correctly.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We bought a Maytag when we built our house. The door started leaking everywhere when it was just a few years old. Replaced it with a Whirlpool and have had no complaints about it. Works great and dishes are always clean.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Are you sure you don't have hard water? A couple of years ago, all the detergent manufacturers were forced to remove the phosphates from their dishwasher detergents by the EPA. The phosphates actually made the soaps work, particularly in hard water.

Phosphate Free Dishwasher Detergent Leaves Dishes Dirty | GE Appliances

The current soaps are crap unless your water is really soft. If this is the case, a new machine isn't going to do anything for you.

Additionally, while using an acid helps, it does not do anything like the phosphates (which are bases, the opposite of acids) to keep the dishes clear and clean.

We used the commercial detergent until they pulled phosphates out of that too, then we had no choice but to get a water softener or handwash.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I would run it empty with some Lemishine, once or even twice. Lemishine will eat all the crud away and leave the dishwasher running like new. Then use a bit of Lemishine in every wash. Our dishes never looked cleaner.
    Love the Lemishine. This is going to be far cheaper than a new dishwasher. Even if you don't have hard water (and it still might be some mineral build-up), the Lemishine will be an improvement. I always thought the spinner wand on the bottom was white. No, it's silver. The white color was the calcium build-up. Our build-up was so bad the soap tray lid wouldn't open during the cycle. Once I started using the Lemishine, all the build-up is gone, and the dishes are even cleaner. I use it in every load. Just a little sprinkle into the second soap tray or the bottom of the dishwasher. I still need a water softener for other areas of water usage (Indy water is like wet rocks), but if I forget to keep the salt in the softener, the dishwasher still has spectacular results with the Lemishine.

In addition to the Lemishine, I'd switch to a simpler detergent, and a tablespoon, no more. Liquid would eliminate the risk of incomplete dissolving of the powder crystals, but I don't think that's really an issue if you don't use too much.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Are you sure you don't have hard water? A couple of years ago, all the detergent manufacturers were forced to remove the phosphates from their dishwasher detergents by the EPA. The phosphates actually made the soaps work, particularly in hard water.

Phosphate Free Dishwasher Detergent Leaves Dishes Dirty | GE Appliances

The current soaps are crap unless your water is really soft. If this is the case, a new machine isn't going to do anything for you.

Additionally, while using an acid helps, it does not do anything like the phosphates (which are bases, the opposite of acids) to keep the dishes clear and clean.

We used the commercial detergent until they pulled phosphates out of that too, then we had no choice but to get a water softener or handwash.
    You can purchase the phosphate, as trisodium phosphate (from cleaning aisles of stores like Lowe's or Home Depot), to add to the cycle too. A google search would tell you how much to add.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You can purchase the phosphate, as trisodium phosphate (from cleaning aisles of stores like Lowe's or Home Depot), to add to the cycle too. A google search would tell you how much to add.

Not anymore around here, the EPA has gotten rid of that too. Now you can buy "Phosphate-Free TSP" which also doesn't work. I tried every hardware store and even paint an plumbing stores looking for the real stuff, but no luck.

You could still find it on Amazon, at least last I checked, but it was getting scarcer.

That said, trisodium phosphate isn't actually the substance that was removed and it can be a bit hard on the dishwasher. Sodium tripolyphosphate was the old active ingredient if memory serves.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

THIS! This is probably why EVERYONE'S dishes arent getting as clean anymore.

And also this is required...

[video=youtube;w8tgAXmbPm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8tgAXmbPm8[/video]

Top Bottom