• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been to Memphis a few times. The closest classes I've done have been at Boone Co.

ACT has had students from Chicago and Michigan. People attend classes with Louis Awerbuck at Boone Co. from Tennessee, Florida, DC, foreign countries, you name it. At the DTI instructor course with the Farnams in May, there were two guys from the US Virgin Islands.

NOTE: The following rant does not apply to any specific individual:

This is something that continues to bother me. Too many people complain that there is "no training" close enough to them when there are dozens of opportunities within a few hours' drive. If somone can't be inconvenienced to drive more then 10 minutes to participate in a class, then I suggest that they don't really want to do it and the travel is an excuse (and a weak one). Just admit that you don't really want to do it or that you don't value the opportunity enough to inconvenience yourself. Honest is better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've been to Memphis a few times. The closest classes I've done have been at Boone Co.

ACT has had students from Chicago and Michigan. People attend classes with Louis Awerbuck at Boone Co. from Tennessee, Florida, DC, foreign countries, you name it. At the DTI instructor course with the Farnams in May, there were two guys from the US Virgin Islands.

This is something that continues to bother me. Too many people complain that there is "no training" close enough to them when there are dozens of opportunities within a few hours' drive. If somone can't be inconvenienced to drive more then 10 minutes to participate in a class, then I suggest that they don't really want to do it and the travel is an excuse (and a weak one). Just admit that you don't really want to do it or that you don't value the opportunity enough to inconvenience yourself. Honest is better.

:yesway:I agree with that!

The farthest I traveled for training was about 4200 miles.
    Of course I didnt drive but took a plane.
    When you want to train you dont mind the long journey.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

+1 Well said!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Curious how far most if you guys travel for training and instruction opportunity. Been watching the training forum for awhile now and feel like a lot of these are really far away!

Thanks.
    I have traveled, to San Diego Ca., Jacksonville N.C., Aberdeen Md.,
    Back to Ca., then to In., then several times, to Grayling Mi.,
    Then the rest, here, in In.......

Chindong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The most I have traveled is 6 hours (driving) for five day firearms courses before & plan to do so again this Fall. I have not, as yet travelled by air for firearms courses, but with the right combination of instructor & desired training would consider it. I have also participated in exceptional training here locally.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Anybody know anything about the quality of the training from Indiana Firearms Training in Fort Wayne?

I'd really like to get some basic stuff under my belt fairly close and them go on from there if I really like it. I agree with rhino to am extent, but I think what people mean when they say there is none close is definitely that there isn't any close enough that they value enough to take. It is semantics, but true. Doing anything in life is a value proposition. I know some kids that have seen harry potter in 3d three times...couldn't post me enough togo watch it, but some would feel the same way about a five day training course.

To each his own!

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know I'm a bad example, but as long as it doesn't require a passport and State Department approval to get there, I'm up for it. Then again, if the training is good enough, I'd even plow through those roadblocks.

I have literally traveled anywhere in the US to train. Unfortunately, sometimes when you need / want a certain skill set it requires some sacrifice. I'm ok with that.

Generally speaking I prefer to drive to courses, just too much hassle dealing with guns, ammo, gear, and the TSA. I've done it, it's just not my preference. Less than a 2 day drive, and there isn't even a thought, more than that, I at least glance at travel times before I book the class.

Tinman....

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Like most of us, I have a finite amount of time and money to devote to training and shooting. So there is a big trade off between the time and money spent traveling and the amount of training time I can get in during a given year. More travel = less training. So the real problem is trying to answer the question: "Will traveling get me better training, and will it be worth the sacrifice in training time?"

Fortunately for us though, there are some great opportunities right here in Indiana. So, I haven't had to travel too far to train so far. I've been to TN and OH, but aside from that, have received great instruction here at home. With some planning, some research, and getting involved with people locally who train regularly, you can find great opportunities here that are inexpensive and close. Doing this, and having an overall plan and budget for training, have allowed me to get a lot of training in to a small schedule and budget.

The current plan is to exhaust the resources close to home and work my way out. And as I do that, the number of classes I can take in a year will be reduced. I find that the more classes I take, the more I want to learn specific skills not taught in many classes. I reserve my travel time and travel money for those more specific skills. I try to plan my training around specific skills I want to learn. I research classes that teach those things, and I try to make informed decisions. I think this helps me maximize my training time and my training budget.

As said above, when you want to learn specific skills, sometimes you have to sacrifice to get in front of the person who can teach them. That's the price. I'll be willing to go as far as needed to learn what I want to learn, or when I've run through what's available here at home and feel I need something more.

Last edited:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have driven 3.5 hours for a training class, and taken a 4 hour flight for one (though, I didn't bring my own guns to that. I was met at the airport with a side-arm). For me its the quality of what im learning, not how far away it is that matters. That said, in the case of a tie ill obviously go to the closer one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tom Givens?

Sort of!

I attended the Winter Tactical Conference a few times and attended a couple of his seminars. His case studies of his own students' experiences during enounters that involved shooting are amazing both in the level of detail and the number of documented case studies.

We're thinking of going to Tulsa next year.

I'd really like to get some basic stuff under my belt fairly close and them go on from there if I really like it. I agree with rhino to am extent, but I think what people mean when they say there is none close is definitely that there isn't any close enough that they value enough to take. It is semantics, but true.

For what it's worth, we do our best to serve the need of students and potential students in northern Indiana. We had two classes in Warsaw on Saturday 06AUG11 and will have another at the same place on 20AUG11.

Top Bottom