• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I made this knife for a local volunteer fireman to use when he dives for the fire department.
    The knife is approx. 9 1/2" long with blue micarta scales, SS bolsters and pins. It features serrations on one edge (done by Ed Caffery "The Montana Bladesmith") and a glass breaker on the rear.
    I had Joe Casell help me learn how to make kydex sheathes before Christmas, and this is my first attempt at making one on my own.
    I hope you like it.

IMG_1472_zps0fbc88d7.jpg

IMG_1464_zpsd36cd5df.jpg

IMG_1462_zps66daff81.jpg

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    What kind of metal is the blade made of?

That's CPM 154 Stainless...all metal parts are stainless.

Here is a picture of the glass breaker. It is the first time I tried to make one of these and didnt have anything to reference.
    The guy is coming over in the morning to pick it up...we're going to test drive the glass breaker on an old truck in my back yard that is headed to the metal recycling center.

IMG_1446.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Maybe. The guy who wanted it specified the design of the blade. I dont dive, I wouldnt know.
    Why should it be blunt?

Edit; I noticed on this web site there are just as many knives with points as there are with blunts...probably more.
    Dive Knife, Diving Knife, Scuba Knife, Titanium Dive Knife, Shears

I bought a dive knife a few months ago, it is pointed as well. Dive knives are made from thicker steel, people have flatter ended knives, because when inserting to pry, the point will snap easier, while a squared blunt point will not. But since the steel is thicker, it can compensate to a certain degree, as a point is nice to have on a knife. Unless there is another reason the poster meant. It's not anywhere near as nice as yours though, that is an awesome knife!:rockwoot:
    But really, you should be carrying both a flat and a pointed one, you shouldn't just have one knife. No reason to put your entire life in one knife.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    my other question (if you don't mind telling) what do you have into this knife cost wise?
    would you sell or make another?

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Maybe the blunt tip is a safety issue. Imagine diving with others and a knife slipping out of your hand and heading straight down to a diver underneath you. A sharp tip could penetrate an air tank, lines, the top of head. If diving alone, which I don't think is a good idea either, it would not really be an issue of safety. Just my four hay pennies, though, I don't dive :).

ETA: Great looking knife!

Last edited:

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Maybe the blunt tip is a safety issue. Imagine diving with others and a knife slipping out of your hand and heading straight down to a diver underneath you. A sharp tip could penetrate an air tank, lines, the top of head. If diving alone, which I don't think is a good idea either, it would not really be an issue of safety. Just my four hay pennies, though, I don't dive :).

ETA: Great looking knife!

I can assure you that this knife is razor sharp. I would expect a flat or blunt end knife to have the blunt end sharpened as well. If thats the case, wouldnt it prove to be just as dangerous in the scenario you described?

...and thanks. I appreciate it.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That is incredible! It's amazing to think how something like that can turn into something so sharp and shiny in a persons shop.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I handed the knife over to the new new owner this morning. He was very excited about it. My favorite part of makinig knives is seeing the smiles!
    He is going to let me know how it works for him.
    IMG_1474.jpg

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Maybe. The guy who wanted it specified the design of the blade. I dont dive, I wouldnt know.
    Why should it be blunt?

Edit; I noticed on this web site there are just as many knives with points as there are with blunts...probably more.
    Dive Knife, Diving Knife, Scuba Knife, Titanium Dive Knife, Shears

What about the best of both worlds?
    photo-176.jpg

photo-179.jpg

This is a knife I finished a while ago out of 1/4" titanium. Chisel ground tanto. You have a point, and flat prying edge.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    With that knife I'd say that you could open your own website for custom built knives. That's looks like better quality than a lot of the customs I've seen out there. Especially for a first attempt, that's a job very well done.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom