• ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Wow, that's a beautiful blade.

As a diver, I don't have a preference of blunt tip over pointed tip, but my dive knife has to be serrated (and that's the only time I like serrations).
    I don't dive at all but my river and boat knives have one side full serration and that is the only time I like them too. I am sure for the same reason, wet rope.

I like that knife Lagrange. Put a black handle on it and call it a river knife. Blue it's a dive knife.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    As I diver, I like both tips. The pointed end is good if you get tangles in netting or something and the blunt end is good for prying. Thankfully, I've never had to use my knife in an emergency situation.
    That knife is gorgeous. If I am ever in the market for another one, I will definantly be in contact with you!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been out of the adventuring biz for a long time now. However, at one time I was an active diver and a blue water sailor. Sailed my Vancouver 36 to Europe and back.

All of my dive knives have been sharped. Think about why it might be a good idea to have something sharp available when you are down there. All of my boat (deck) knives had a squared off tip, some shaped to act as a type of screwdriver. Some included a hollow section in the blade cut to function as a shackle key. You really do not want a sharp knife on a pitching deck.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Awesome job Lagrange

You have a skill set that a lot would envy there sir. I am a diver and I carry two knives, one a blunt tip knife, and the second is a Spyderco SALT with a serrated edge. The blunt blade is my "work" knife and the Spyderco is kept on my BC, it is my "cut me out of this" knife. Great job on the knife.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Awesome knife!

I was a marine reconnaissance instructor in the late 50's. That is the knife I dreamed of after an incident on the Cheasapeak Bay that would have been a non event if I had such a knife.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    How long did it take you to get from idea to completion? Very cool looking blade, I'd be more than happy to get one.

It's difficult to say how long it took me to build because I worked on it on and off while working on other knives, and waiting on materials.

Again...thanks to all of you for your kindness. I love making knives, but seeing happy faces is that gets me over the edge.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Some pictures of the build;

Here's the stock material 154 CM
    1.jpg

Here the blade design has been scribed onto the stock material
    2.jpg

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Opening up the holes with a larger bit for scale fasteners. In this case SS corbie pins were used.
    17.jpg

This is a picture of one of my chamfering bits in action. I chamfer the holes to make it easier to insert the pins on the handle and bolster.
    18.jpg

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    After the holes are drilled and chamfered I hand sand the blank to remove any potential burrs left by the bits.
    24.jpg

Here it is after hand sanding.
    22.jpg

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Here I have the knife mounted in my high tech knife clamp to begin cleaning and sanding the edges.
    26.jpg

Another shot of my high end knife clamp in action.
    29.jpg

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Here is the blade after the first rough grind of the edge. I will proceed to refine the bevels with successive reductions in grit until I have it down to about 400 or 600 grit.
    Then I will finish sanding the bevels by hand.
    30.jpg

A picture of the completed build. I was working on other things and lost track of taking pictures of this one till it was complete.
    IMG_1445.jpg

More pictures of completed knife.
    IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Top Bottom