• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    This has been some interesting reading. Reminds me of the experiences we had in MO with the MO Dept. of Conservation. They continuously denied the presence of bears in the state. Kind of came to a "shock" to some people when one was struck and killed by a car.
    A few years before I was setting up camp with a group of Scouts when one of the Scoutmasters told me about seeing a black bear. Couldnt have tied those kids down after they heard that! We had to hike down the river to find it. We did find the tracks.
    Conservation Dept. said the same thing about the large cats too.

And everyone on this forum should know....the last one to admit a mistake or the truth about anything is a government agency.
    And that is only when denial doesn't work anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has been some interesting reading. Reminds me of the experiences we had in MO with the MO Dept. of Conservation. They continuously denied the presence of bears in the state. Kind of came to a "shock" to some people when one was struck and killed by a car.
    A few years before I was setting up camp with a group of Scouts when one of the Scoutmasters told me about seeing a black bear. Couldnt have tied those kids down after they heard that! We had to hike down the river to find it. We did find the tracks.
    Conservation Dept. said the same thing about the large cats too.

And everyone on this forum should know....the last one to admit a mistake or the truth about anything is a government agency.
    And that is only when denial doesn't work anymore.

Is that after the bodies are found like in Cali. when the joggers and hikers where the main course for kitty-zilla

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I have a few friends that live in Martinsville that have seen a couple Mountain lions over the yrs...Also I have some property down in Perry County and a few ppl that I have talked to have said that the DNR RELEASED Mule deer in HNF several yrs ago.. Don't know if that is true or not..

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I can't imagine the DNR releasing mule deer or any other non native wildlife in Indiana.

Also, I have spoken to the rangers in Muscatatuck National Wildlife refuge, which is near Symour. They tell me every mushroom season people inquire if rattle snakes had been released there. That is not going to happen either.

I'm not saying someone has not lost or released a pet snake or cougar in Indiana, but I'm sure it was not the DNR.

People like to pass on rumors.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    They need to pass that info on to IL, I think their DNR is still denying cougars live there, but if they're here, they're likely there, esp since people are reporting it.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Oh, and I'd like for them (DNR) to come clean about releasing rattlesnakes in HNF too.

Timber rattle snakes are not all that rare in IN.

BCH - Timber Rattlesnake | The Nature Conservancy

Necro.jpg

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That begs the question, if you're hunting deer and you kill one you thought was a whitetail since mule deer aren't supposed to be here, do you have to tag it?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    All North American species were once native to indiana.

In the 60 or so short years between the first settlers building log cabins, and Indiana becoming a state we managed to kill everything big enough to hit with a muzzle loading rifle.

If the DNR reintroduced Elk Bison Cougars wolves grizzlies black bears etc. it would simply be restoring the original native species.

You know that Bison jumping over the log on the state seal? That's the last one getting the hell out of dodge while being chased by a guy with an axe.

Top Bottom