• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana

Indiana DNR clarifies what rounds are legal and its the whole kit and caboodle!!!:rockwoot:

The Department of Natural Resources has received numerous questions regarding recent legislation that legalizes certain rifles for deer hunting beginning later this year. Most questions have to do with calibers and cartridges allowed under the new law.

House Enrolled Act 1231 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used only on private land during the firearms season.

The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield. Additional requirements are:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

HEA 1231 is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the Governor and the General Assembly.
    Contact Information:
    Name: Phil Bloom
    Phone: (317) 232-4003
    Email: PBloom@dnr.IN.gov

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Now I've got choices! Which means of course the problem of making a choice, maybe a new weapon for each day? :dunno:. Too bad about the .45-70 though...the only Government I trust.

I always thought it was silly to disallow the .30 Carbine while allowing pistols...

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I always thought it was silly to disallow the .30 Carbine while allowing pistols...

Agreed. A .30 carbine soft point is just about the as effective as a .357 Mag soft point and has a little flatter trajectory. How cool would it be to hunt deer with an AMT Automag III :cool:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Agreed. A .30 carbine soft point is just about the as effective as a .357 Mag soft point and has a little flatter trajectory. How cool would it be to hunt deer with an AMT Automag III :cool:

I could use my M1 this year...it's ready to go!

c67da82c-164d-42f5-a04e-cf1fb8370e40_zps85644857.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My M1's are ready too...just another of those choices. I have one with a Fajen Monte Carlo and another in M1A1 guise...250 rounds of SP arriving today.

Then again there's my first center fire, a Win 94...60 rounds of 170gr .30-30 arriving today.

Bloody choices.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Very cool...now there's an interesting carbine/side arm combo. Though it looks like I'd have to pay more for one than I did the carbine!

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    I don't get it. In Texas most hunters find it inhumane to hunt with a .243, so they move up to the .270, which I've never had a running kill with. But Indiana, with whitetail that are twice the size of the average TXHC whitetail, puts .243 on its list, and bans the .270? What gives?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I don't get it. In Texas most hunters find it inhumane to hunt with a .243, so they move up to the .270, which I've never had a running kill with. But Indiana, with whitetail that are twice the size of the average TXHC whitetail, puts .243 on its list, and bans the .270? What gives?

The DNR did not write the law. They couldn't allow .270 because it was not listed as an allowed caliber in the law. Their job was to select the cartridges that match up with the calibers that the law outlined.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    The DNR did not write the law. They couldn't allow .270 because it was not listed as an allowed caliber in the law. Their job was to select the cartridges that match up with the calibers that the law outlined.

I know that DNR didn't write the law, but I'm trying to figure out how Red State politicians overlooked one of the more effective deer harvesting rounds in the .270 Winchester.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I know that DNR didn't write the law, but I'm trying to figure out how Red State politicians overlooked one of the more effective deer harvesting rounds in the .270 Winchester.

I can't answer that. I am also surprised the .260 Remington wasn't considered. Either way, I'm happy. My 1903a4 will get to see some use now :)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So .243 is inhumane, based on what? Not taking a "run" at you op, but this is the issue when it comes to what is and isn't allowed. So much "facts" about what is acceptable and not acceptable. People tell me about "dropping" deer with 223/5.56, so I take them at their word, others tell me 223/5.56 is too light, so I take them at their word. Who's right? If I take a 100 yd shot with my 357 pistol, now what? Is the cartridge inhumane or was my shot too long?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why is there a legal restriction on the number of rounds that someone can possess while hunting? That's retarded.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    So .243 is inhumane, based on what? Not taking a "run" at you op, but this is the issue when it comes to what is and isn't allowed. So much "facts" about what is acceptable and not acceptable. People tell me about "dropping" deer with 223/5.56, so I take them at their word, others tell me 223/5.56 is too light, so I take them at their word. Who's right? If I take a 100 yd shot with my 357 pistol, now what? Is the cartridge inhumane or was my shot too long?

Every hunter needs to know their limitations. I've seen far too many instances where a poorly placed shot with a .243 just caused an injured deer to run off, not be tracked correctly, and die. Now, I've seen the same thing with a 7mm Rem Mag., so it's not so much caliber, but "buck fever."

I don't disapprove of the .243 for hunting, I hunt with an old man who has never had a running kill with one, but he's never missed the brain with it, either. I guess being a sniper in 'Nam helps him out there.

I didn't take your comment as a "run" on me, I just don't understand how certain calibers are deemed "OK," while others, that make more sense for thin-skinned game are banned. Length of average shot, maybe?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Every hunter needs to know their limitations. I've seen far too many instances where a poorly placed shot with a .243 just caused an injured deer to run off, not be tracked correctly, and die. Now, I've seen the same thing with a 7mm Rem Mag., so it's not so much caliber, but "buck fever."

I don't disapprove of the .243 for hunting, I hunt with an old man who has never had a running kill with one, but he's never missed the brain with it, either. I guess being a sniper in 'Nam helps him out there.

I didn't take your comment as a "run" on me, I just don't understand how certain calibers are deemed "OK," while others, that make more sense for thin-skinned game are banned. Length of average shot, maybe?

they simply choose two popular bullet diameters and went with the calibers that use them, in 2020 they will review the stats and either expand or allow this law to collapse and go back to last year's calibers and guns...

Top Bottom