• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The overwhelming bulk of what they collect are old, rusted and broken guns. Some are the "inherited" ones the granddaughter found rusting in grandpa's basement. Others are from widows whose hubby died decades ago and she's clueless about what to do with them. For the most part, it's a dumping out of useless junk guns that were sitting around because they were worthless and couldn't be sold.

I have to admire the enterprising dude in . . . IIRC . . . Houston . . . that 3-D printed ~32 worthless plastic "ghost guns" and sold them to the program there for an enormous profit. Capitalism thrives.

Regarding the L.A. article, I noted that the shooting was "several miles" from the event scooping up guns for cash. Having lived in southern California for a decade, several miles in urban L.A. is an enormous distance, placing it in a completely different neighborhood. The headline on the article is click-bait.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Our commie .gov held a few gun buy backs that were included with her gun ban health order. All sales in NM have to go thru a FFL so I don’t think showing up with cash would work too well tho you could probably do it if you wanted to badly enough. Nothing was accomplished, except wasting a lot of taxpayer money. But who cares, it wasn’t their money anyway!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-3D-printed-gun-buyback-program-17345782.php

Read the article linked earlier in this thread and a few things jumped out...

1.) So the Federal Government GAVE ONE CITY, in one state, $53 MILLION of OUR TAX DOLLARS for this???
    That means the tax payers of Indiana have gifted Houston, TX approx $1,060,000 for their city's anti crime initiatives!!! Let that simmer in your head for a bit...check the crime stats in Indy or in Gary or even the crime stats that are ticking up in Terre Haute... :spend:
    "The buyback event is part of Mayor Turner's sweeping anti-crime initiative "One Safe Houston." The program has $53 million in federal dollars to carry out a number of different initiatives designed to reduce violent crime across the city; Mayor Turner said $1 million of those federal dollars are earmarked for gun buyback events like Saturday's, according to Fox 26."

2.) Um, this one just made me read it a couple times just to make sure I understood that they said what they said...they paid $200 for automatic weapons? AUTOMATIC? No fines? No tickets? No ATF checking stamps? So if someone has this type of weapon they need only explain to the officer that they are on their way to a Houston gun buy back and they get a free pass? :faint:
    "Officials from the mayor's office said the city collected more than 840 guns and gave participants $50, $100, $150, and $200 Visa gift cards, depending on the gun type: $50 for broken guns, $100 for shotguns and rifles, $150 for handguns, and $200 for automatic weapons." :ar15:

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-3D-printed-gun-buyback-program-17345782.php

Read the article linked earlier in this thread and a few things jumped out...

1.) So the Federal Government GAVE ONE CITY, in one state, $53 MILLION of OUR TAX DOLLARS for this???
    That means the tax payers of Indiana have gifted Houston, TX approx $1,060,000 for their city's anti crime initiatives!!! Let that simmer in your head for a bit...check the crime stats in Indy or in Gary or even the crime stats that are ticking up in Terre Haute... :spend:
    "The buyback event is part of Mayor Turner's sweeping anti-crime initiative "One Safe Houston." The program has $53 million in federal dollars to carry out a number of different initiatives designed to reduce violent crime across the city; Mayor Turner said $1 million of those federal dollars are earmarked for gun buyback events like Saturday's, according to Fox 26."

2.) Um, this one just made me read it a couple times just to make sure I understood that they said what they said...they paid $200 for automatic weapons? AUTOMATIC? No fines? No tickets? No ATF checking stamps? So if someone has this type of weapon they need only explain to the officer that they are on their way to a Houston bun buy back and they get a free pass? :faint:
    "Officials from the mayor's office said the city collected more than 840 guns and gave participants $50, $100, $150, and $200 Visa gift cards, depending on the gun type: $50 for broken guns, $100 for shotguns and rifles, $150 for handguns, and $200 for automatic weapons." :ar15:
    I'm guessing a typo. Since they didn't list a price for handguns, probably "$200 for semi-automatic weapons".

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I'm guessing a typo. Since they didn't list a price for handguns, probably "$200 for semi-automatic weapons".
    ? :dunno: But they did, indeed, list a price for handguns........

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment

DO GUN BUYBACKS DO ANYTHING USEFUL?​

Well, a pragmatic view might observe that a lot of these "flagship" programs feature appearances/staffing by grifter politicians. They're drawn to them like a fly is drawn to a latrine, and for the same reasons.
    If the pols are at an event, then they're not in session, or at the capitol, so they're not actively engaged in destroying our freedoms.

Okay, I tried.......I realize that as "rays of light" go, this is pretty weak sauce.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    And in other news -- dateline Farmington, New Mexico --
    An anti-gun group, New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence (NMPGV), in is being investigated by the local sheriff with jurisdiction over Farmington, NM, for illegal gun transfers under Federal and New Mexico laws. A law enforcement "buy back" program in Farmington was nixed after massive backlash. The group who had been the driving force behind it, NMPGV, decided to go ahead with it in their own private "buy back" program. They went door-to-door and conducted a private "buy back" paying people for their guns with gift cards. New Mexico law prohibits private gun sales. All must go through an FFL on a 4473 with a NICS background check.

Did they destroy them? Not according to ATF regulations which require three very specific cuts through the receiver using a cutting torch. They didn't use a torch; looks like they made only one cut with a hand grinder cutting wheel. In some cases didn't cut through the receiver, just the barrel and stock. Thus, some of the receivers were still completely functional . . . and where they were cut created a short barreled rifle/shotgun. They're not "destroyed", merely, as the ATF would characterize it, "disassembled". Worse yet, they took guns that hadn't been destroyed per ATF destruction requirements -- i.e. they were still legally firearms -- to a school metal shop for the students there to weld on, smash and crush, violating the laws on taking firearms into schools and proceeding to transfer them to prohibited persons, namely minors under the age of 18. Additional "disassembled" firearms were taken to a local artist to make a sculpture, illegally transferring them to him. One look at the photos of the guns tells me they got mostly junk guns. Disagree with the New Mexico's Universal Background Check laws all you want to. This group, NMPGV, who helped write them and other gun laws for the New Mexico Legislature, and then lobbied for their passage, willfully violated them

You can't make this stuff up. If stupidity of this magnitude were a felony, they'd be charged with Felony Stupidity. Entertaining video on it here. Some of the best stuff comes near the end.

Top Bottom