• ...and so much more!
  • blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    he didnt want to know the times because he gets to thinking about them instead of concentrating on shooting. he knows his best times so he is always doing math in his head. it was a strange request.

IMHO he is giving up any challenge of the times recorded. his request his results.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    he didnt want to know the times because he gets to thinking about them instead of concentrating on shooting. he knows his best times so he is always doing math in his head. it was a strange request.

"Suck it up, buttercup"
    I bet BJ and Max, and KC, etc had to listen to their times as they set world records...
    part of the game.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The shooter did not want them called out verbally just shown to the score keeper.

I hated it. Lack of confirmation of getting the scores right. Snowflakes are everywhere.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    A simple request that doesn't sound too unreasonable.... but it sounds like it throws a monkey wrench into the way the system works, which is calling out the scores to confirm everything is recorded correctly. What is next, everyone else needs to sit in their cars while he shoots? Distractions are a part of life, deal with it.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Bj, max, and kc. Has the same request
    MOST of the time. They normally want a penalty/miss
    called out so they know they can't screw up another string.
    my son Collin shoots the schoolastic speed steel and they
    are opposite, They don't call it out loud unless requested, however the
    kids coach is right there verifying.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I thought the guy was a head case
    Most sane people think I'm a head case, so he must be really nuts.
    The biggest issue with not calling out his time was it threw a wrench in a system that works fairly well.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    He probably won't nod when ready either . . . .

Let us just say, I warned him that I would probably mess it up. I did. Twice. It really wasn't on purpose but I figure I shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

He had a good sense of humor about it. He was definitely a bit eclectic

ETA

I tagged the wrong response

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Wasn't there. I do shoot steel matches. I have competed in other, non gun, competitions where time, distance, altitude, precision, etc are all required at the same time. How I managed that may or may not be different from the other 100 competitors.
    A lot of comments all over the board on this thread. My comments are:
    1. If it's not in the rules, it's not against the rules.
    2. As I understand Steel matches, you only have to say "not ready," nothing is required at the start. Polite to nod, yes, but not required.
    3. If you want to see the scores, stand behind the nook holder so you can see the clock.
    4. He may have been eccentric, but aren't we all? If he does not want to hear his scores (see #1) and that is what works for him, let him.
    5. If you are slacking because you are ahead of everyone else, that's your problem.
    6. Gaming is gaming. Getting into the head of your opponent(s) is part of the game as well.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Nothing wrong with the request. But it would be up to the RO if they wanted to honor it. As an RO working a major match, I would at least have the recorder read the score back to me to confirm it was correct.

As a shooter, it seems like such a request would create more of a distraction than what is worth but to each their own.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bj, max, and kc. Has the same request
    MOST of the time. They normally want a penalty/miss
    called out so they know they can't screw up another string.
    my son Collin shoots the schoolastic speed steel and they
    are opposite, They don't call it out loud unless requested, however the
    kids coach is right there verifying.

i stand corrected. I thought I remembered video from world speed shoot and hearing times... thanks.

Nothing wrong with the request. But it would be up to the RO if they wanted to honor it. As an RO working a major match, I would at least have the recorder read the score back to me to confirm it was correct.

As a shooter, it seems like such a request would create more of a distraction than what is worth but to each their own.

Agreed!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Getting the scores right is done by stating the time verbally, and have the person entering the score read it back. That is the way it is done. It allows the RO on the timer to watch the gun and not have to show the timer. I told him that there was going to be no appeal of the time entered if it was not called out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    4. He may have been eccentric, but aren't we all? .
    No.

Some of us just make ready and shoot. We do our practice elsewhere. We let the scoring procedures happen and don't ask for special treatment. Can still finish first in a division and second in another.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I don't mind the calling out of my scores, but Coach could use a more supportive voice. When he announced my scores it sounded like a question, like 24.55, can you believe this guy shoots this slowly! I mean, you try shooting quickly when your gun is stove piping every round. Roundabout was one of my toughest stages. Add the pressure of Coach's NON-SUPPORTIVE announcing, and I didn't have a chance. I'm shooting my next match at the blind and deaf school!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I do better in an atmosphere that rather than being supportive is condescending and belittling and where folks tell me I cannot do it. So that is what I try to do for others. So in a backward way it was supportive.

I think the gun will run better if you stop picking your first magazine of rounds for the stage from the ground around the shooters box. It is a theory at least.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I do better in an atmosphere that rather than being supportive is condescending and belittling and where folks tell me I cannot do it. So that is what I try to do for others. So in a backward way it was supportive.

I think the gun will run better if you stop picking your first magazine of rounds for the stage from the ground around the shooters box. It is a theory at least.

I can't help but laugh here

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    No.

Some of us just make ready and shoot. We do our practice elsewhere. We let the scoring procedures happen and don't ask for special treatment. Can still finish first in a division and second in another.

people not you think you're eccentric.

Top Bottom