Do the families of your kids' friends own a gun? Ask.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    And if I was asked, I would respectfully decline to answer the question. If they don't like it, they don't have to let their kids come over.

I have two kids and there has never been a shortage of friends wanting to come over to my place or ask my kids over to theirs. I don't buy into the "you can never be too safe" crap. Trust your gut and train your kids. Both were trained what to do if over at a friends and a gun was introduced into their environment.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Oh dear! I've never thought to ask my kids friends parents if they own guns! what should I do if they say yes?:eek: Oh I know, I could see if they wanna go to the range sometime.:laugh: That article is so obvious in it's pathetic attempt to whip up a frenzy of anti gun panic, it's almost laughable. And actually, just about all the dads of my kids friends are all about deer hunting, and not much else.:yesway:

This is why I don't subscribe, or even read on the internet any garbage that the local fish wraps put out.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Oh yes we have plenty of guns and I'm sure that we can find one that 'Sally' will like. Of course she is always welcome to bring her own if she wants to.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The article said the kids were fighting over who got to shoot the BB gun....my first thought was, where were the parents? Also I guess the other kid won...and has two good eyes.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    !

Wow, who would have thought it would take an "expert" to suggest that parents get to know the families that their kids run around with.

Now WHY would that matter? After all little Charlie Manson didn't turn out so bad did he?

Oh wait, never mind!:n00b:

It's no different than any other "political" message; if you can't sway opinion with the truth then you turn to fear and name-calling.

Remember, "In chaos there is profit"-Lt Holden

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You know what I loved about this article? There were no stupid liberal comments at the end saying that the average IQ of a gun owner is 70 etc. Every comment left so far as I saw was pointing out the stupidity of the article.

On the other hand, there are a lot of stupid gun owners who don't think their kids can get their guns and who don't secure them properly. I wonder if there is a good way to say something like; "are all of your firearms locked up? I keep mine locked since there are kids around." Implication, firearms aren't bad, but you better not leave any unlocked while my kids are there.

I teach my kids, I can't teach theirs.
    Thoughts?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You know what I loved about this article? There were no stupid liberal comments at the end saying that the average IQ of a gun owner is 70 etc. Every comment left so far as I saw was pointing out the stupidity of the article.

On the other hand, there are a lot of stupid gun owners who don't think their kids can get their guns and who don't secure them properly. I wonder if there is a good way to say something like; "are all of your firearms locked up? I keep mine locked since there are kids around." Implication, firearms aren't bad, but you better not leave any unlocked while my kids are there.

Thoughts?

Exactly. I think it does go back on the parents to take responsibility for their kids. That can be as simple as actually getting to know the other parents and having the types of conversations you mentioned.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I wonder if there is a good way to say something like; "are all of your firearms SECURED? I keep mine locked since there are kids around." Implication, firearms aren't bad, but you better not leave any unlocked while my kids are there.

Thoughts?
    FTFY-Now I completely agree.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Eddie Eagle is all you need.

1. Stop.
    2. Don't touch.
    3. Leave the area.
    4. Tell an adult.

When my kids were in school, many years ago, we discussed the possibility of a firearm showing up in class. They had strict orders to proceed in the following:

1. Leave the area, and by leave the area I mean exit the building and come home. (we were within walking distance).
    2. Call me or mom immediately.
    3. Stay in the house until me or mom get home.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Exactly. I think it does go back on the parents to take responsibility for their kids. That can be as simple as actually getting to know the other parents and having the types of conversations you mentioned.

Teaching dumb kids from stupid parents...not in my agenda.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah, goofy article.

How about "does that crazy spouse of yours keep their drugs locked up? My son likes to eat things and judging by the size of your mate, I'm guessing the dose of sedative they take would likely be fatal to my little Johnny"

Guns, drugs, alcohol, kitchen knives, etc... Guns are sexy though.

I want to know which kid drew that gun on the front page. They could do portraits for iNGO soon!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yeah, I wouldn't really feel comfortable if someone asked if I had guns, where they are, and how they are secured.

Oh, and this article is a steaming pile. The parents knew there was a BB fun, besides how many people that just have a BB gun are going to say "Why yes, I have a Little Red Rider locked up tight in my master bedroom."

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Of course I am an advocate of locking up your guns if unauthorized people are going to have an opportunity to get them. I might even talk to other parents about it, albeit EVENTUALLY and in the context of "hey lets talk about guns." If you are going to run all your kids parents through the ringer and play 20 questions there are many more important things that pertain to nonintentional injuries of children of all ages. Motor vehicles, drownings, fires/burnings, poisonings, falls and being struck are all more important factors in injuries to children than are firearms. In fact, firearms aren't mentioned at all in the article I used to come up with this list. Medscape: Medscape Access.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would not let my kids go in a house with NO GUNS.That's the only reason I would ask if the parents have guns.
    How can they protect my kids if they have no guns???
    Also everybody have knives in their kitchen but for some reasons they dont think it's dangerous.
    But guns, OMG that must be dangerous.
    Ridiculous.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I guess when I meet my daughters' friends' parents, the point is kind of moot, since most times, I'm OC'ing. (I always make sure I'm wearing a clean Woof shirt, though :D) I've had a few questions, but its never been overtly negative. I've even invited one or two of the parents to come over and shoot.

Top Bottom