Do the families of your kids' friends own a gun? Ask.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think you folks that still have kids that age, need to be asking if the friend's houses have any mush brained liberals that might be trying to propagandize your kid with their filthy liberal immoral ways.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I can't believe the article is discussing an accident with a toy and tries to pass it off as having something to do with parents and firearms. You would think they could have at least found a story where a real firearm, not a kids toy, was used.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Here is my standard post when threads such as that come up in the newspapers and other media.

Here is the reality of it... the parent is going about the wrong way to accomplish what they desire. Educate them on how to do it better and they can then improve as a parent, and perhaps a friend.

What they really want to know is "Is my kid safe in your home?" The gun issue is what they have been reflexively taught to ask about, but there are many, many things in a home that will hurt a kid just as fast and as badly as a gun will.

So just say to them... "What I hear you asking is are we responsible people and will your child will be safe in my home?"

When they say "yes" then say, "That's important to know and here's what I have found best to ask other parents because it covers everything and doesn't give the appearance of any other agenda."

“Look, I’m slightly paranoid about the safety of my kid. I’m sure you’ll understand… many of us are. I would just like reassurance that my son will be safe in your home and you don’t do things like leave rat poison out, or swimming pool covers off, or guns laying on the sofa or anything like that.”

Suggest to the parent that that is much better, much more polite, and much less intrusive than blatantly asking, “do you have guns in the home.” And it gets them all the info that they need, and much more besides. They've just taken the step to develope a friendship… not to hold an interrogation.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    and now most ridiculous statement of the day has been logged. Check back tomorrow for more

I do that to those that ask me. I then ask if they have guns in the home. If they say no I respectfully decline the invite. I don't want my child at someones home that doesn't have the means to protect their own family. I see his ridiculous statement and raise it.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm the only 'gun person' on my spouse's side of the family. Sunday, everyone came over for dinner and I took my nephews (age 14-20) out back to shoot my son's (age 8) new Red Ryder BB gun. None of them had ever held one. Sad, I know.

Top Bottom