• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'm sure a great deal of us are finding ourselves engaged in spirited discussions involving firearms rights. Sometimes the discussions are good, sometimes not..

Oftentimes you will find yourself discussing things with someone who is uneducated on the subject at hand. Our friends in big media (ya know, the folks with fact checkers) get stuff wrong all the time, so it's no surprise that a coworker or neighbor doesn't understand the difference between a "full-auto machine gun" and a semi-automatic handgun.

How long do you discuss things with someone before you give up on them?

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    IHow long do you discuss things with someone before you give up on them?

First time they spew a talking point from an equally uneducated source and do not listen to any sort of reason (even to disagree or contest a point). I'm done at that point. No sense talking past each other, so I withdraw.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    At a time like this, you'd probably be lucky to find 5% of the populace who don't already have their minds made up one way or the other. The militants on either side aren't going to win any converts.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I tend not to argue, I calmly ascend above the stupidity of the argument and offer blinding truth. I either win a lot, or I simply confuse the crap out of most people, because the argument doesn't usually extend past my initial response.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Many folks have little or no knowledge of firearms. That's one reason why the liberals successfully sold the misleading term "assault rifle". Most folks aren't aware of ccw laws, transfers, etc. I'm pretty ignorant of any spectator sports as they never interested me. Same with firearms, lots of folks aren't interested.

That said, I am happy to discuss 2A and firearms with anyone. The real antis don't want facts, their minds are snapped shut. I suspect 99% of them are Obama supporters.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have been surprised by how many of the uneducated on this issue have high levels of formal education.

Well, I guess I'm not that surprised. Just means more years of brainwashing...

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    I try to keep an open mind.

Some folks have many more layers of fear to "peel" through than others.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The best suggestion I have when talking to the "uneducated" is to make them understand that "gun nuts" are every bit as disgusted about what happened in CT and every bit as passionate about preventing future atrocities as any "gun grabber" is and I think that fact gets dismissed and its important to realize this isn't a war between "nuts" and "grabbers" (or nut grabbers)... it is a conversation between two sides who want the same result!! We ALL CARE....

We just have very different solutions to the problem...

They seem to be responding with emotion, while we are responding with common sense (and fear of losing our rights).

Lets look at all options and figure this thing out....

Option 1: Ban the sale of guns or certain types of guns or mags
    -Result - There will remain 300 million guns on the streets​

Option 2: Ban Guns/mags etc... PLUS go door to door and force citizens to give them up.
    -Result - Not going to happen without lots of lost lives... weakens the strength of our country and leaves citizens unable to stop an evil .gov (if one ever came to fruition)​

Option 3: Hire Security Guards or pay LEO's to stand guard at every school...
    - Result - School system is WAY over budget as it is. Government is WAY over budget... this is just too costly all around.​

Option 4: Let volunteer civilians stand guard.
    - Result - This just isn't going to fly... no way the Grabbers let this happen in fear a gun nut rogue parent would kill kids and after the emotion cools down, the volunteer pool would likely thin away and we will be back where we started. Grabbers are NOT going to give Gun Nuts the responsibility... no way in hell.​

Option 5: Allow volunteer school employee's to be armed first responders. Pay for training and issue equipment.

- Result - Cheapest and probably safest option... this system has been proven to work in other countries and there are plenty of teachers who would be on board. It is important to note that teachers don't need a loaded gun on their hip... just access to one that is locked away safely. It takes 5-10 minutes for police to show up to a school... a small team of trained teachers could respond in 30-60 seconds lock, cocked and ready to rock.​

IMO its common sense, the most effective solution, the most economical and probably the EASIEST sell to the Grabbers....

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Not very long using internet communication, like Facebook. Read this FB post; the person is responding to a post about arming and training school personnel, and she is not in favor of it. Try to think how you would try to make this person change their mind:

"Completely agree with you Hugh. Thank you for putting into words what I have been thinking and failing miserably at trying to express. People forget about the repercussions of shooting someone. While it may be in self defense or in defense of others it is still against the law for a non police Individual to shoot another. it would be likely the shooter would end up in handcuffs. Even police have to undergo an investigation for shooting someone. Don't you think an ordinary person should undergo an investigation as well? That's a rhetorical question. The answer is OF COURSE. I am amazed at how people are going off half cocked with ridiculous ideas. Lots of non thinking going on. I'm as pro gun as anyone but let's get real people. Some of these ideas are just not reasonable or feasible."

It's poorly written, but I think she is saying that even if innocent people are being gunned down right in front of you, you still can't shoot the bad guy because it's against the law. I wonder how she would feel if her entire family was lined up and being executed one by one in front of her, and I was there with a gun but refused to shoot the gunman because "It's against the law"?

I didn't respond to this, by the way...I don't think it's possible to have a rational conversation with such an uninformed person on the far left...

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Dunno on that one - I know some fairly conservative teachers who are firearm-friendly, but they struggle to conceptualize the idea that there is a way that a school employee could safely carry a firearm around students and be able to use it effectively. That particular snippit doesn't seem far left to me, though there may be other parts that weren't included..

I've got a guy that's an uncle of a friend that's so far left he won't even discuss the topic. He just parrots the idea that "semi automatic assault weapons with high capacity clips and military-grade ammo don't belong in the hands of the populous".

Top Bottom