• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry a Semi Auto or Wheel Gun?

• Total voters

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    For those of you who carry a gun daily is your primary weapon a Semi-Auto or Wheel Gun? Which do you prefer as a primary carry gun and why if you care to comment?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Semi-auto. Higher capacity and ease of reloading.

If the SHTF, I don't think I would have the dexterity to reload a wheelgun. Heck, I would probably have a hard time hitting the magazine well with a fresh mag on a semi-auto, for that matter.

Anyone who has had the adrenaline dump of combat knows what I am talking about.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've carried a 1911 of one brand or another for around 40 years.....habit...... not to mention highly resistant to change..... plus, the 1911 is an outstanding platform. Just my 2 cents, of course.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I do both, a 1911 Kimber Officers, and a S&W 642 38spl. It depends on where I'm going what I'm driving, how I'm dressed. The .38 in an ankle holster is perfect for when I'm driving to and from work through Gary. I drive a Focus and my ankle is right there, as were the .45 would be tucked behind the seat belt in a small car, with a big guy...but I prefer my 1911's.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Semi. Easier to strip and clean [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] when I get it wet (tea, rain, sweat, etc...). I also shoot a semi-auto more proficiently.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I carry a wheelgun, an SP101 .357. I used to carry semi autos but I prefer the power and reliability of a revolver. I understand that revolvers are subject to the same catastrophic failure that a semi automatic is but I will never have the noncatastrophic failure of a failure to feed or failure to eject that every semi auto I've owned has had at some point, at least once. If I have a failure to fire, I don't need the other hand to clear it. It's a matter of pulling the trigger again for the next round. Also this particular revolver is very easy for me to carry, conceal and rapidly bring into play.

I understand semi autos have a lot of advantages but I went with the revolver for a carry piece because I decided I'm not kicking down doors for a living and in the end what I really need for a self defense situation is pull/point/shoot in what will probably be 7 yards or less.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Carry both. Prefer a semi-auto. Capacity, reload speed, can keep my eyes on target while reloading, better triggers for the most part, and I'm more accurate during rapid fire with a semi. (granted I have much more practice with a semi)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Both, most of the time the semi is my primary, but the wheel gun I usually on me or close by

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Both....at the same time. Snub-nosed .38 in the purse and either a Glock or 1911 on the hip.

The purse gun is my "always there." On days when I'm too lazy or not dressed to accommodate on-the-body carry, I still leave the house with protection. Reasons for small and lightweight for a purse gun are obvious.

I like the auto-loaders for capacity and caliber. More bigger is better.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Oddly enough, for the last 9 months or so, neither. Bond 2 shot in .45 long colt. (but I do always have a rifle and another handgun in my vehicle)

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Prefer the XD 40 SC, but have carried the XD 9 tactical on occasion as my main choice, but have also at times carried a 3" model 60. Always prefer the autos.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    Don't own any wheel guns, so I carry a semi.

Now if the wheelgun crowd is looking for more votes, someone could donate a revolver to me and I will change my vote... ;) :):

Top Bottom