• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry a Semi Auto or Wheel Gun?

• Total voters

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    As I've said in similar threads, IMO, its more about the person than it is the gun. If all people had equal proficiency in all weapons, the most advanced and highest capacity weapon would be the obvious choice. We all know this is not the case. Someone carrying a SA they are not comfortable with or qualified to operate is at a disadvantage compared to someone with a revolver they are proficient with. :twocents:

I own multiple semi-autos and revolvers. Most of the time I carry a revolver just because its been my primary EDC for years. Occasionally I will carry a SA for various reasons.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I carry a wheelgun, an SP101 .357. I used to carry semi autos but I prefer the power and reliability of a revolver. I understand that revolvers are subject to the same catastrophic failure that a semi automatic is but I will never have the noncatastrophic failure of a failure to feed or failure to eject that every semi auto I've owned has had at some point, at least once. If I have a failure to fire, I don't need the other hand to clear it. It's a matter of pulling the trigger again for the next round. Also this particular revolver is very easy for me to carry, conceal and rapidly bring into play.

I understand semi autos have a lot of advantages but I went with the revolver for a carry piece because I decided I'm not kicking down doors for a living and in the end what I really need for a self defense situation is pull/point/shoot in what will probably be 7 yards or less.

Ditto that...on the SP101 in .357mag...with most defensive actions taking place at 7 feet, all I want is a 'pull, point-n-shoot' weapon! My other carry gun is a Glock 32 in .357sig...for the same reason!

I've owned and carried other pistols (Colt Officer's .45; Kahr 9mm; Glocks; Rossi .357mag, etc.) but I always go back to the little Ruger! It's simple, easy to use, accurate as heck, can wear it just about anywhere (4:00 OWB, 10:00 Cross-Draw, ankle, coat pocket, cargo pocket, etc.)

I know it and how it works...as long as you're comfortable with it, it's all you need!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Semi-auto. I know that wheel guns can be arguably more reliable. However, I make sure to test my semi-auto with several different types of ammo and will not carry it until it proves itself to meet my standards.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I put semi auto, but really carry both depending on the situation. I probably carry a semi auto 80% and revolver 20%.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Semi-auto. I know that wheel guns can be arguably more reliable. However, I make sure to test my semi-auto with several different types of ammo and will not carry it until it proves itself to meet my standards.

True and I think anyone serious about carrying a semi should do the same. Revolvers are less likely to malfunction, and I carry them exclusively, BUT if there is a problem with a semi it can usually be solved by racking the slide. If there is a problem with a revolver, it's a "go to kitchen table and get the screwdrivers out and/or call gunsmith" event.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    As I said I can only answer Yes ...

I carry both .. most times I carry a S&W 442 IWB with an LCP in the pocket ***

Today Im gettin ready for work and I put a beretta on my side ..
    :patriot:

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I like the semi auto, just because of the extra ammunition. The wheel gun is a good home defense gun. Its an easy gun to teach the wife to use. Pull the trigger and it shoots she doesn't have to worry about jaming or anything. Just me though :)

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    My primary is was a full size semi auto. I used to carry a 5 shot snubby off/duty and backup but sold it. Now I mainly carry my Glock 36 the majority of the time but I plan on getting a new poly Taurus wheel gun come tax refund time for daily carry and school.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Semi-Auto for ease of reloading and increased capacity. I would probably only carry a revolver as a back up gun or if I needed something small enough (Ruger LCR) to deep conceal.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Both. I have been carrying revolvers for 16 years, but I just started carrying a semi-auto this year. Before that I carried an M9 in the Corps, but that was only on duty.

Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a Glock 26, I like revolvers but as far as carrying I like semi's better, and I have put enough rounds through my glock that I feel confident it will not missfire or jam on me.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    True and I think anyone serious about carrying a semi should do the same. Revolvers are less likely to malfunction, and I carry them exclusively, BUT if there is a problem with a semi it can usually be solved by racking the slide. If there is a problem with a revolver, it's a "go to kitchen table and get the screwdrivers out and/or call gunsmith" event.

I thought about this for a while because I used to believe it and I have to disagree. I think what we're actually seeing is the type of problem that will require disassembling the revolvers is the same type of problem that you will have to disassemble a semi to fix with one exception of problems that plagued scandium framed S&W revolvers (but then, you can find one model of semi auto plagued with problems too). The run of the mill, common problems that occur with guns (usually ammo problems when you get down to it) are much more easy to overcome in a revolver than a semi.

I have a feeling that what happens is the catastrophic failures in revolvers probably get our attention more because we're so used to nothing going wrong.

Top Bottom