Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A good reason to load 5 rounds in a 6-shot speed strip is that if you put one round on the end, then leave a space, then four in a row, you can get the first round into a chamber pretty quickly. If you need to get a round in your gun fast, it could make a difference.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I almost always have a spare mag for my EDC and a lot of times a BUG with a reload for it as well. I can't get my wife to carry her pistol as religiously as I do, so I carry a BUG when I am with her so I can pass her a gun if need be.

gundog60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    South of Indy
    Two speed loaders when I carry the S&W Model 10 and four 8 round for the Rock Island .45 Not so much about round count for me-although that does seem to be a valid concern, if you are engaged in a fire fight. Do not remember the last fire fight that broke out at the everyday places that I go, though. On the other hand Can one ever be really carrying too much ammunition? With the exception of swimming and being on fire-found those situations funny and horrifying at the same time!- I say No. Just my take on this matter.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    As stated it's not always about round count.

Lots of ways for a mag to end up on the deck at an inopportune time.

Clearing a malfunction.
    Inadvertently hitting the mag release under stress or during a struggle.
    Mag not seated properly.
    Mag failure.
    FM.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I often carry SD ammunition in the pistol and a spare mag or two loaded with plain ball in case I find myself in a place where it is OK to just do some plinkin.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    2-3 speed loaders to back up the 6 in the gun. If I know that an area is iffy and requires more firepower I DON"T GO THERE!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I figure My SD gun is to Get me out of Trouble not to Stand there and Fight. I'm no hero, I need to get Me and Mine out of harms way. I don't figure I'm in a bruce willis movie I figure I'm at some gas station with real bad timing.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I picked up a "Last Man Standing" shoulder rig and had mag pouches sewed onto it. Three magazines on each side for my full size 1911s. That's a total of 8 mags in .45acp for a pair of 1911s. P3AT bug is being left home more often now.
    I can't wait to go to BW3 when the weather warms up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I picked up a "Last Man Standing" shoulder rig and had mag pouches sewed onto it. Three magazines on each side for my full size 1911s. That's a total of 8 mags in .45acp for a pair of 1911s. P3AT bug is being left home more often now.
    I can't wait to go to BW3 when the weather warms up.

Than sounds kind of cool. Andrews Leather makes some similar rigs. One carries a stack of 1911 mags on the offside and one carry 12 ga shells.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I always carry an extra mag, not because I feel there is a high likelyhood I will need that many rounds, but because some malfunctions require a 2nd mag to clear quickly (like a double feed). I also have a slight fear that I will get pulled over by a Boone Co. Sheriff deputy and they will discover I don't have a spare mag. There will be no talking your way out of a ticket that day.

Top Bottom