Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree that a lawyer could get you around it with an explanation but the odds seem more unlikely if you are carrying more rounds. I could be wrong, I've never been and hope to never be in a situation like this. The reason I say the odds are unfavorable is because the prosecutor may try twisting your motives around, you know how they can do that.. Unless you have a VERY good lawyer, it's probably going to be a bad experience for you. I'd rather save myself the time/PITA in court if I had to appear.

I don't have statistics but I would venture to say at least 80% of SD cases that no more than 10 rounds are fired by the person practicing SD, so the 16 that my gun holds should be plenty. I don't want the prosecutor twisting things around acting like I'm a gun toting fool who carries ENTIRELY TOO MUCH AMMO for a regular SD encounter. (As stated before, extreme circumstances are exceptions) I'm not disagreeing with any of you who do carry extra mags, but I just don't feel the need to myself. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.

It's hard to say you're carrying too much, if you're carrying less than a police officer. They fight the same bad guys we do. While they are more likely to bump into the need for their gun, once it is needed there is the same damage needed.

And if 80 percent requires less than 10 rounds, it follows that 20 percent need MORE than 10 rounds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As soon as you are selected to defend yourself, statistics are irrelevant. Statistics and empirical probabilities apply to populations or large samples, not samples of one datum.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    You can't have too much ammo unless you're trying to swim.

No one can predict how many rounds it will take to solve a problem that requires shooting. It could be zero, one, two, three ... or many. I'd rather take the extra home with me than have the chalk outline around my large body with the slide locked to the rear.

Another perhaps more important reason for carrying spare mags is that the magazine is the weak link in the system. If you have one fail and induce a malfunction, having at least one spare to get you back into the fight quickly can be beneficial.

This ^^^^^^^

I always carry an extra mag...my thought process is more so from the malfunction standpoint than the additional ammo position.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    May I direct the crowd to this link...

New York reload - Wiktionary

When not possible, or deemed overkill for my perceived threat level involved in the area I am traveling, I carry no less than 1 extra mag, even if I am packing the Hi-Power with 15+1. I don't want to not come home because a mag jammed up on me.

Even when I am running with a second (or third) BUG, I still carry a few reloads for each, just in case. Im just not comfortable leaving personal security to chance, if I can help it.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    What if your gun jams up and you have to drop the mag to do a reload what then, just because you have 15,18,20 rds in your gun does not mean you should not have extra ammo on hand, and if you drop the mag clean out the jam ( i am sure you have practice this) then what you bend down to get your old mag taking your eyes off threat, or reach to your side and get your spare mag

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I cannot say that I always carry an extra mag... But I can say that I usually carry more than one gun! Not the same thing, but it kinda counts I think:draw:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I cannot say that I always carry an extra mag... But I can say that I usually carry more than one gun! Not the same thing, but it kinda counts I think:draw:

It is possible to clear the gun and reinsert the same mag. Lot more difficult plus you might be putting the mag that caused the problem in the first place back in the gun. But it can be done and not bad thing to practice since I would not have an extra mag on my belt at night. Yes I agree with you about the mag hitting the ground.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I deep-conceal a small revolver, so it's just not feasible to also carry a speed-loader. Hopefully five shots will be better than no shots.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I deep-conceal a small revolver, so it's just not feasible to also carry a speed-loader. Hopefully five shots will be better than no shots.

One of the reasons I keep a speed strip, thin as a round of ammo --- they fit nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of levis.
    580_Speed%20Strips_Pair.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One of the reasons I keep a speed strip, thin as a round of ammo --- they fit nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of levis.
    580_Speed%20Strips_Pair.jpg
    Thanks, PC. Been thinking about speed strips; I really need to pick up a couple. Great also because I wouldn't have to get different ones for 5-shot/6-shot like my speedloaders. Just get a 6 and load it with either 5 or 6.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I always have one extra mag in my pocket and two more in the vehicle. My wife carries (extra in purse) the same with her. So we're pretty much ready for a small to medium Zombie apocalypse!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I have a zip lock bag of .38 special and .357 magnum that I take to the range to just plink with...High end defensive rounds I might add...So why do I plink with them???

Uh...Well...Because I left them in the speedloader in the watch pocket of my Levi's and "worshed 'em"....:crying:

The good news is....They have always fired....The bad news??? I am still too paranoid to use them as defensive rounds anymore...:rolleyes:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It is possible to clear the gun and reinsert the same mag. Lot more difficult plus you might be putting the mag that caused the problem in the first place back in the gun. But it can be done and not bad thing to practice since I would not have an extra mag on my belt at night. Yes I agree with you about the mag hitting the ground.

Oh I read your comment Vert. You were right on, this was in no way directed at you I just wanted to throw that in there. Extra mags are always good! If you have a malfunction its same to assume its the ammo and or mag if it continues and not the firearm so I see the importance of having another mag for the malfunction reasons and not just the capacity reasons most think of. I am about to try out a new horizontal carrier for my belt as my pockets seem to be getting too full!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks, PC. Been thinking about speed strips; I really need to pick up a couple. Great also because I wouldn't have to get different ones for 5-shot/6-shot like my speedloaders. Just get a 6 and load it with either 5 or 6.

I use speed strips.
    You definitely have to practice with them.
    First time I went to use one, bullets when flying.

You can load them 5 or 6, doesn't matter what the gun holds.
    If the gun holds 5, then you can still load it with 6. Unlike speed loaders, where you have to have the right number.

[video=youtube;pMAXlT3ZLzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs[/video]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually prefer the un-speedy strips over the speedier but still not fast loader. The strips sit flat. I carry mine in my right rear pocket. The 6 rounders can be used with both the 5 or 6 shot revolvers, plus with the 5 round guns you have an extra in case you fumble one. (I also have 5 round speed strips) It is possible to fire a few rounds and then top off. I find them more intuative to use but they require more practice to be proficient.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I use speed strips.
    You definitely have to practice with them.
    First time I went to use one, bullets when flying.

You can load them 5 or 6, doesn't matter what the gun holds.
    If the gun holds 5, then you can still load it with 6. Unlike speed loaders, where you have to have the right number.

[video=youtube;pMAXlT3ZLzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs[/video]

So, if accoring to Ayoob, it's better to leave one spot on the strip empty to get a better grip, I could get the 7-loader speed strips so I would still have 6.

Top Bottom