• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For those of you that have more than one gun that is acceptable for SD carry, do you carry the gun that you shoot best, or do you carry a different gun? If you carry a different gun, why?

For instance, in my case, the gun I shoot the best with is a full size CZ 75, with a CZ 75 Compact a very close second. But, I almost never carry the full size CZ 75. Instead, I carry the CZ 75 Compact about 60% of the time, a Glock 29 about 30%, and Glock 20 the rest of the time. Occasionally, I carry a 1911 or the full size CZ, but those first three represent my normal carry choice.

I carry the CZ 75 Compact most since I shoot that gun really well. I carry it with a round chambered, safety off and the hammer in the half cocked position which gives it a trigger pull very similar to the Glocks. But, sometimes I want something with a bit more punch and will go with one of the Glocks. I shoot the Glocks well, but my 5 round time for a 6" group is slightly longer than it is for the CZ.

As much as I love the 1911 platform, I tend to carry other guns with higher capacities now days but will sometimes carry the 1911 just because I like the things. I cannot really put my finger on why I carry the Glocks other than just a gut feel for wanting more than a 9mm round. I carry 9mm Critical Duty 135g +P, so I don't think that's really under gunned in any situation yet I still tend to holster a Glock about 40% of the time.

Do you always carry what you shoot best or do you carry what you like to shoot best?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Depends on what you mean by "best".

I can shoot more accurately with a Remington 700 than I can with my M&P9, but I carry the M&P9.

I can shoot faster with a .22, but I carry a 9mm.

Handguns, especially carry guns, are always a compromise.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Do I carry what I shoot best? No. My 1911's aren't safe queens, but they are kept up most of the time.

My Glock 27 is my edc, and I don't do to bad with it. I would by no means say I shoot my G27 poorly. More rounds, easier to CC are a couple reasons I like to carry it over one of my 1911's.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I currently carry a SR9c...it is not what I shoot the best, but I do shoot it well. However, I recently bought a CZ75BD Police and shoot it very well. I'm planning on carrying it daily, if the holster ever comes in....this six week wait for a holster is killer!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If I can find a holster I like/has proper fit, I may. Jerichos are a bit hard to find specific holsters for.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    With a CZ Compact 9mm you can carry 16+1. How is that undergunned?

That's kind of my point. When carrying with a quality SD round, I cannot really think of anything I can't do with my 9mm that I can do with the 10mm. Yet, there are still times when I holster the 10mm. I really wish CZ would build a compact in 10mm, but that's not too likely to happen. I own a Witness in 10mm and it just does not feel the same as the CZ Compact.

The gun I shoot the best is the pre-B CZ 75, but I rarely carry that because I don't like the small sights on it. It's tough to replace those due to how thin the top of the slide is on the early CZs, so there's really not much to cut a dovetail into. So, that gun tends to sit in the safe except for range days.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    do you carry the gun that you shoot best, or do you carry a different gun? If you carry a different gun, why?
    Best: 5" Sig Sauer
    Don't carry because it's too long and the slide is square so it doesn't fit my standard 1911 holsters.

And also...

I carry 9mm Critical Duty
    *Jealous*
    I haven't run across any yet. I'd like to run some through all of mine and see if they like it.

One must always accessorize correctly with their EDC:D
    But of course...

C.M.Burns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indy
    i shoot all my subcompact glocks pretty accurately. i carry which ever one i grab first that fits in my pocket (joking, i keep them holster at my side)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Sig P230 at 15 yards. I can and will do a head shot. I'll have no problem, even it it is my Mother beihng held by the bad guy. The bad guy will die. I've practiced that shot too many times to miss. Since, I've never miss. I love my Sig P230, but I did loose it in a poker game last October.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    depends. i can shoot all my handguns well, some ive had more trigger time than others.

say for example, ive had 1000s of rounds thru my G22, but more often i'll carry my g19. even tho ive shot it much less, due to my extensive time with a.40 i feel fully competent with a sub 9mm.

for less noticeable concealment i go for my .357 LCR, which ive had some good practice with. however, my feeling is snubbies are only pretty much good for muggings, or other point blank encounters.

as the other poster said, its a trade off.

Top Bottom