Do you carry with a full mag? Why or why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Full mag, one in the chamber, spare mag fully loaded.

Dont understand the point in carrying less than you may need. We carry for the “what if” factor, so why not carry as much as you can?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    When I was disarmed by a LEO I had a full mag plus one. When he returned my property to me, it was one loose round, one full mag, and one Shield with the slide locked back. I stood on the side of the road, reloaded, re-holstered, got back on my Harley (with speeding ticket in saddle bag) and went on about my day.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Honest question though, and please please please don’t turn this into a bashing debating thread as I’d like to keep it on topic. I’m curious bout how people carry also.

As to my question, I’m not LEO so I’m sure there’s a reason i don’t know, but why disarm a licensed carrier? Is this common, or do you only do it to ones that seem sketchy or acting weird? Just curious so we as carriers can learn how to keep our LEO’s at ease so we don’t make them tense in normal situations

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I just checked, and I am down one in the magazine at the moment (9+1 instead of the full magazine of 10 plus 1 chambered).

I take my dogs on an off-leash walk basically every day on a decent-sized country property. One of them doesn't always come when called when he is on the scent of something; it's like tunnel vision for all of his senses. (It's not that he's ignoring; it's that he has blocked out everything else. A couple times I've caught up to him, and he's totally startled to be touched.)

A gunshot gets him to quit tracking and to listen to me again. Sometimes it's months between when this happens, but it seems to come in spurts. And I don't always remember to reload right away. Once I had the magazine as low as 7 when I remembered to reload it--which would be forgetting twice consecutively--but I don't think I've ever gone past that.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the last time was on Friday.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Honest question though, and please please please don’t turn this into a bashing debating thread as I’d like to keep it on topic. I’m curious bout how people carry also.

As to my question, I’m not LEO so I’m sure there’s a reason i don’t know, but why disarm a licensed carrier? Is this common, or do you only do it to ones that seem sketchy or acting weird? Just curious so we as carriers can learn how to keep our LEO’s at ease so we don’t make them tense in normal situations

I did not say I disarmed anyone. There are times, like a crash for example, where the licensed carrier becomes separated from their firearm and I end up securing it. That's just one example, but I'm not talking about taking their guns from an enforcement standpoint.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I did not say I disarmed anyone. There are times, like a crash for example, where the licensed carrier becomes separated from their firearm and I end up securing it. That's just one example, but I'm not talking about taking their guns from an enforcement standpoint.

Ohhhh ok, I gotcha. Has there ever been a time when you have disarmed someone? If so is it a behavioral thing or is it more of a situational thing, like a suspected incident that you’re checking into? Thanks for the reply also!!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Ohhhh ok, I gotcha. Has there ever been a time when you have disarmed someone? If so is it a behavioral thing or is it more of a situational thing, like a suspected incident that you’re checking into? Thanks for the reply also!!

My experience may be different because I was on a motorcycle and not in a vehicle. But he asked if I had any weapons. I told him I had a gun on my hip. He said he was going to take it for his safety.

I'm curious about VUPD's SOP in this instance as well.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My standard response when someone tells me that they are legally carrying is "don't pull yours and I won't pull mine". Of course there have been times where I have felt compelled to disarm someone, but there was most definitely an articulable reason for me to do so. The act of carrying itself does not necessarily make my spidey senses perk up.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full mag in the well plus one in the pipe along with 2 spare mags for me. 35 rounds total (11 in a P365 and 2 spare 12-rounders). That's respectable firepower; hopefully I'll never need to use it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    full plus 1. And a spare mag in the center console. Yeah, its not on my person, but nearby. Kinda splitting the difference between having a spare and not at all.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    EDC is a M&P shield so full 7rd plus 1 in the pipe with spare 8rd mag. When it's the G19 I just do a full mag and I don't worry about one missing from the mag that's in the chamber.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Full mag one in the chamber and a full spare mag atleast.

But I know what you're talking about everytime I've had to secure someone's gun with the exception of one time it was a partial mag with either fmj or a mixture of fmj and hollow points.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My standard response when someone tells me that they are legally carrying is "don't pull yours and I won't pull mine". Of course there have been times where I have felt compelled to disarm someone, but there was most definitely an articulable reason for me to do so. The act of carrying itself does not necessarily make my spidey senses perk up.

Thank you! I’ve only been stopped once since I began carrying (headlight out) and when I handed him my license and LTCH his response was exactly yours, “don’t show me yours and I won’t show you mine”. Wrote me a warning shook my hand and went about our days. Wasn’t sure if there was something that raised tension I could be sure to avoid doing, I always turn car off and interior lights on with window down, figured that’s enough.

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack, thanks for the response!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is a serious case of the poors I guess...
    I do full plus one and at least 1 extra mag. I wouldn't hold it against someone not putting the extra round back in the mag as I understand the argument, but I have never had a problem with it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In the EDC with an external safety, full mag +1 chambered. In the Glocks, about 75% of the time, full mag but not one chambered. The other 25% has one chambered.

(I think there's a thread about this somewhere, but I'm taking the calculated risk that the chance of getting the Glock trigger caught on something while CCing is higher than the chance of NEEDINGONEINTHECHAMBERRIGHTSTINKINGNOW.)

The only reason I can think of to have less than a full mag (or full -1) is that ... uh... not sure how to delicately say this... but perhaps the owner of the weapon did not have time to reload the magazine after his last use of it when you encountered him.

A related question might be how many of those secured firearms appeared to have been recently cleaned.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Full plus one in the CCW, regular full mag in the bigger pistols, 28 in the handful of loaded AR mags I keep around (to avoid having to bludgeon the thing into place against a closed bolt).

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I just checked, and I am down one in the magazine at the moment (9+1 instead of the full magazine of 10 plus 1 chambered).

I take my dogs on an off-leash walk basically every day on a decent-sized country property. One of them doesn't always come when called when he is on the scent of something; it's like tunnel vision for all of his senses. (It's not that he's ignoring; it's that he has blocked out everything else. A couple times I've caught up to him, and he's totally startled to be touched.)

A gunshot gets him to quit tracking and to listen to me again. Sometimes it's months between when this happens, but it seems to come in spurts. And I don't always remember to reload right away. Once I had the magazine as low as 7 when I remembered to reload it--which would be forgetting twice consecutively--but I don't think I've ever gone past that.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the last time was on Friday.

And that's how they found the bunker.

Top Bottom