Do you carry with a full mag? Why or why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good to hear (back to work, not that you can't participate.) Maybe set the alarm clock earlier for INGO posting.

I do set the alarm early ... to study, do homework, and work on my part time job. Twenty-four hours isn't long enough for a day if you like to sleep for more than four hours!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only times I have been would be caught without full mags would be after maybe shooting a few rounds at a friends house at some cans or something just because the opportunity presented itself.

Which brings me me to the thought that if you are coming across people with less than full mags......what have they been shooting at???

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Who, in their right mind, would NOT have the magazine fully loaded to capacity?

I have mine fully loaded... AND I carry two more just like it.

I'm clearly no expert on the "right mind" business, so I can't address that part.

I will say that from my first paid, professional defensive handgun class way back when, I've been conditioned by . . . everyone . . . to always insert a fully charged magazine after loading the chamber. Back then I was shooting an 8+1 round 1911, so missing one round by not topping-off put me more than 11% down from 8+1 rounds. All of the kids shooting Sigs, Glocks, and Berettas were similarly encouraged to top-off their mags even though one round meant less to them. When I switched to guns that held more bullets, I maintained the same policy and still do.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I do set the alarm early ... to study, do homework, and work on my part time job. Twenty-four hours isn't long enough for a day if you like to sleep for more than four hours!

I know we're the same age, you can't burn the candle on both ends and in the middle for long!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know we're the same age, you can't burn the candle on both ends and in the middle for long!

I'm feeling it. I may have to dial-back the classes next semester, maybe take something that is less time consuming than what I've been doing. Hopefully my next contract or job will allow me to work remotely. That saves another 1.5-2 hours in driving and another 0.5-1 hr per day for getting ready leave the house, pack a lunch, etc.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm feeling it. I may have to dial-back the classes next semester, maybe take something that is less time consuming than what I've been doing. Hopefully my next contract or job will allow me to work remotely. That saves another 1.5-2 hours in driving and another 0.5-1 hr per day for getting ready leave the house, pack a lunch, etc.

Save time by going to work in your PJ's. I cut my hair short with no style to it at all. I wear basically the same thing every day. Have for years. Keeps me from fretting over what to wear. I never worry if something matches because it is all basically the same. Jeans and a tee shirt.

Sometimes it gets tough when we are going out to eat and I say I am ready while wearing the same clothes. She has spent 31 years trying to change me.... and only accomplished a little.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Honestly, "made me look!" Full mag. 13+1 .45 ACP

I can understand -1 in the mag, but for the life of me can't understand anything less than that.

I used to be that way... -1 in the mag to help offset spring compression...but bumped up to full magazines 10 years ago...
    And, depending on the pistol, at least one (1) spare magazine, or two (2) if it's a single-stack pistol...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yeah, got a contract with a temp agency creating some documentation for a warehouse for a few months on the 4pm to 1:30 am shift. Whew!

Started last Monday night. After more than a year without a full time job, it's a relief. It's only a temp contract, but I am grateful for the income and I think the experience will lead to more tech writing contracts afterward. I found the ad on Friday 11/15 after 2:00 am and applied. The recruiter called me before 9:00 am and in less than 12 hours from finding the ad, I got the offer asking if I could start on Monday 11/18. I've never experienced anything like that, but I was glad to start last Monday. It's a challenge getting used to working 2nd shift, but it's doable. I got today and yesterday' off, but I now have two calendar weeks under my belt and I even got my first paycheck in the mail today. Getting paid every week will be helpful to me trying to catch-up and deal with the deficits I had to implement to sustain the household.

Jobs...are necessary and very helpful when it comes to staying ahead of those pesky monthly bills and such, but oh what a pain the schedule can have some times!
    When I was Health & Safety for a private, heavy-weight, overnight air-shipper, I had to teach the new hires how to set themselves up to 'adapt' to 3rd shift...and how it was a 'lifestyle' with certain key elements in order to be able to get adequate sleep.
    Prior to that, I was a biology/health teacher and Athletic Trainer, often working from 7am - 11pm, M-F, and parts, if not all, of Saturdays, for 24 years...and it definitely took it's toll!
    I'm convinced that working 2nd shift is the most difficult one as it affects one's normal 'down' time with family and friends!
    Congrats on the job...hopefully it leads to better opportunities!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I will add when I went through a Glock course I ran a G 34 and only loaded 15 rounds in my mags. As many mags as we shot I figured what's the point And still went through 1,200 rounds

When I shoot a non IDPA match I usually only load 15 rounds in my G 17 or M&P as the stages there are generally free of Ballistic Masterbation

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have occasion, fairly regularly, to contact lawful carriers and lawfully secure their firearms. I'd say more often than not the magazines are not loaded to capacity, and I'm not talking about downloaded by one, I'm talking about loaded to half or less of capacity. I find this curious and thought I'd pose the question of how everyone here carries. Myself? I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber.

:popcorn:

Full mag and 1 in the chamber, as designed.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Full mag.

Several years ago, I read about a case where a guy in IN was arrested, had a full size Ruger 9mm pistol on him that had like, 4 rounds in in it. I thought that was a bit odd.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Save time by going to work in your PJ's. I cut my hair short with no style to it at all. I wear basically the same thing every day. Have for years. Keeps me from fretting over what to wear. I never worry if something matches because it is all basically the same. Jeans and a tee shirt.

Sometimes it gets tough when we are going out to eat and I say I am ready while wearing the same clothes. She has spent 31 years trying to change me.... and only accomplished a little.

I streamlined to a "uniform" a long time ago!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Jobs...are necessary and very helpful when it comes to staying ahead of those pesky monthly bills and such, but oh what a pain the schedule can have some times!
    When I was Health & Safety for a private, heavy-weight, overnight air-shipper, I had to teach the new hires how to set themselves up to 'adapt' to 3rd shift...and how it was a 'lifestyle' with certain key elements in order to be able to get adequate sleep.
    Prior to that, I was a biology/health teacher and Athletic Trainer, often working from 7am - 11pm, M-F, and parts, if not all, of Saturdays, for 24 years...and it definitely took it's toll!
    I'm convinced that working 2nd shift is the most difficult one as it affects one's normal 'down' time with family and friends!
    Congrats on the job...hopefully it leads to better opportunities!

Thanks!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Full mag +1 with a spare full mag most times. I'm going to be honest here I load 10 rounds for range time it is possible that one of those mags could end up with me after a range trip.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So at the 140 post mark, I'm still the only one to admit to ever having fewer than the full capacity of the magazine, right?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom