Do you carry with a full mag? Why or why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Who, in their right mind, would NOT have the magazine fully loaded to capacity?

I have mine fully loaded... AND I carry two more just like it.

"Right mind" as has been shown before, far too many carriers are not in the right mind and not overly knowledgeable about firearms and ammo. we have how many thousands of members here but some hundreds of thousands of carriers in the state?

Also, those careful and responsible enough to carry full+1 of uniform, quality, defensive ammo plus a spare mag are generally more careful and responsible thus managing to avoid the situation of being separated from said firearm or needing to be disarmed.

Another vote for full+1

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Remember the guy who shot himself in the parking lot of ITP earlier this year? He was reportedly mad the store didn't sell individual cartridges and one had to buy an entire box. I know some stores do parcel out singles or zip lock baggies for those who don't want a full box.

I'm sure you've also seen plenty of mix-matched ammo in both magazines and revolvers.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ammo is another issue I know several people that have the cheapest crap you can buy as defensive ammo.
    I know a older gentleman that carried ammo from the early 60’s in a J frame 158 grain kleenbore!
    How about a new G*#&k 19 with steel case Tula (all ammo is the same)!
    The guy who told me that if I was in a shooting and used Hornady Critical Duty ammo I would go to jail because hollow points =a murder charge.
    My favorite is a dude who carries a Iver Johnson revolver in .32S&W (I bought him some Buffalo Bore ammo on sale)

Just with anything else most of the General public are kinda stupid IMO, I often wonder how some of them live as long as they do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ammo is another issue I know several people that have the cheapest crap you can buy as defensive ammo.

Just with anything else most of the General public are kinda stupid IMO, I often wonder how some of them live as long as they do.

All evidence points to Darwin being over whelmed with stupid people.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Isn’t carrying 50-60+ Pistol rounds on you like driving a farm tractor to work everyday in case you have to go off road?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Isn’t carrying 50-60+ Pistol rounds on you like driving a farm tractor to work everyday in case you have to go off road?

I have 13 in the pistol and 17 in the spare magazine. I want the spare magazine in the event there is a failure to feed or such with the magazine in the pistol. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have occasion, fairly regularly, to contact lawful carriers and lawfully secure their firearms. I'd say more often than not the magazines are not loaded to capacity, and I'm not talking about downloaded by one, I'm talking about loaded to half or less of capacity. I find this curious and thought I'd pose the question of how everyone here carries. Myself? I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber.

:popcorn:

I was surprised to hear this. I don't want to jack the thread, but would you mind sharing what is causing you to have to "lawfully secure" the guns of lawful carriers "fairly regularly?" Just curious about what you're encountering out there.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO

One additional magazine or speed loader is fine for EDC. Note: extra mag may be a quick way to clear a malfunction?

VD has it right for duty carry two or three backup mags might be needed in that one in a million crazy situation.

You could be like a Logistics Officer I was forced to take out with me in Afghanistan he had never been “outside the wire”.
    This Major had 16 30 round mags and 4 pistol mags dude sweated constantly and was near panic for entire two days.

BTW
    TJ how many powder horns do you carry?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    50 or 52 on the belt is a nice round number, for me anyway. Two mags on the belt, opposite side of the gun, balances the whole rig quite nicely. Pretty decent hip protection also. ;)

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    I always carry whatever I'm carrying at the time fully loaded plus one in the chamber and 3 spare mags fully loaded on my belt. Then my back up gun is fully loaded plus one in the chamber with 1 spare mag for it fully loaded usually in a pocket. My last ditch gun is a small revolver (NAA 22magnum) that folds up and has a clip on it like a knife so I can pocket carry it with the clip attached to my pocket. I keep it loaded minus one round so that the hammer rests on an empty chamber. When I was a LEO I carried the same way as listed above only with 4 spare mags on my duty belt fully loaded. 2 spare mags on my strong hand side and 2 spare mags on my weak hand side just in case I was wounded on either side I could get to spare mags regardless.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    BTW
    TJ how many powder horns do you carry?[/QUOTE]

Not too far off. HKS Speedloaders.

I do gotta say though as a Johnny Yuma it is fun flushing the posts and measuring the reactions.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I don't think so at all. It is better to have it than not need it than need it and not have it. Which is exactly why we carry a gun or guns in the first place. It is the stakes of the situation not the odds of the situation that we are preparing for. I am responsible for three family members safety all the time. At my job on a given day I am respon Isible for the safety of about 160 people through the day despite being required to be unarmed.

Have you ever been on a back road and had a truck load of hill jacks back out in front of you and block your path? I have. A five shot j frame would not have been enough had shooting started. The odds of a non-typical situation are pretty small but they are life and death. I don't want to lose for a lack of shooting back. When you run out of ammo the fight is over. I am not willing to gamble that my gun fight will be typical or average. Not much else in my life has been.

I one got a lot of grief for carrying my flashlight everyday at school. Till the power went out a couple of times and then it was very handy.

Top Bottom