• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Take this for what it is. If you were going to sell your body, would you wash your "junk"? I would rather get $15.00 than $10.00.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Long time ago I went to buy a rifle from a buddies uncle and before I paid him I asked to see it first,

Pulled the bolt out and pulled out a bore light and popped it in, meanwhile this guys is going:n00b:.

It was outright the dirtiest full of crap barrel I have ever peered down.

I handed him the rifle, then the bolt and told him to have a nice day.
    There was no bargaining, no complaining or biotching.

I think me handing it back to him and telling him that was a real shocker, his nephew called me a couple of days later and wanted to know why I did that.

I told him that if he decided to not wipe the :poop: off his arse for 2 weeks, would there be any woman that would be interested in him, he said no, I say, Self explanatory right.

Heck I've even ran a swab down the barrel of a .22 cal with couple of drops of Hoppes on it to see if there's any crud from a bad cleaning job.

Take pride in what you own, and it will show when you sell it.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I get why we clean guns. But should that really stop a sale? Meh!

I mean some guy is offering a great deal on a great gun, but it wasn't clean :dunno:

Take it home clean it yourself (you're going to anyway) and enjoy your new found gem!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The problem I had was the barrel was dark and a little fuzzy. It wasn't just dusty. It had powder residue in it that came out after scrubbing with some Kroil.
    I just couldn't see what condition the bore was in with any certainty with it being in that condition. I did buy the gun and the guy wasn't real happy with me posting about it. I did give him positive feedback on the transaction. I expect him to give me the same....

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    Yes. You would expect a clean weapon when buying, therefore you should be selling a clean weapon. Plus as you noted it will cost if you don't.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    A dirty gun speaks loudly of the owner, I think that if they cant clean their weapon, what else do they neglect to clean? Dirty guns are owned by dirty people.

As far as the not buying one, it depends on the deal I am presented with. I have bought dirty guns before, after looking them over carefully. never been burned on them, actually quite happy about a few of them. Besides, even if it is NIB, the first thing I do when it gets home is strip it down and thoroughly. Its a great way to get to know your new friend.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    What if it's not so much a "gem" under all the crud? That's the sticky wicket.

You are right. One time I purchased a 22 rifle from a gun show and took the guns word that it was just dirty. When I got home and gave it a good cleaning I found that half the rifling was corroded away.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are right. One time I purchased a 22 rifle from a gun show and took the guns word that it was just dirty. When I got home and gave it a good cleaning I found that half the rifling was corroded away.
    That has made me shy away from purchasing some milsurp stuff at my most favorite LGS (Bradis *cough*) on a couple of their older Turk Mausers... can't really tell what's cosmoline and what's corrosion. Please note that I am a happy Bradis customer and would recommend them to anyone, but I was just not sure about the Turks that I looked at. :) If they would let me bring in a cleaning kit and run it down the bore, I would...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Guy I just bought one from didn't and it cost him. :noway:I wouldn't give him his asking price because the bore was ugly. Turns out it just needed cleaning. For 1/2 hour of work he woulda made $50 more.
    Just doesn't make sense to me....:dunno:

One of the reasons I didn't buy the gun I looked at last week! The seller represented the gun as being in great shape, and drove from the north side to Greenwood to sell it to me. Besides the ( duct tape?) residue on the barrel, overall dirtiness of the gun and the crud inside the barrel, was the fact that the magazines would not lock in without really smacking them hard!
    Needless to say, I didn't buy the gun, even after he offered to drop the price by $20 for the magazine issue!:laugh:
    If he would have just been honest with me, I would have most likely bought the gun for the agreed price.... Even with the mag issue ( my mags that I brought with me fit, so I figured I could make his work!)! But like I said to him, with these issues, along with the fact that he said he had never fired the gun, how was I to know what else I might find!? I wasn't willing to take a gamble that day!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Mine are always spotless, and yes I have purchased dirty guns, but it irritates me to no end. Because if you buy one from me it will be clean and properly lubricated, be it grease or oil, or both.
    I have to agree with some of the other posts, it's just the respectful thing to do. I have been shown more dirty guns than clean ones when I go out to buy. When I do come accross a clean one I always give a compliment to the owner and thank him for having it clean.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    clean guns

I clean every gun I use. I also take them out every 3-4 months and clean them again whether they have been used or not. Maybe it comes from working in the Armory in the service, but can't stand a gun that isn't clean. It doesn't take that much time if you keep up on them. And you get to handle them as you do it. :rockwoot:What's not to like about that?:dunno:

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Guy I just bought one from didn't and it cost him. :noway:I wouldn't give him his asking price because the bore was ugly. Turns out it just needed cleaning. For 1/2 hour of work he woulda made $50 more.
    Just doesn't make sense to me....:dunno:

i agree with you. I clean mine to get more value from them. Its easy for me cause I clean mine after I fire them. Basically my weapons are also investments

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    That has made me shy away from purchasing some milsurp stuff at my most favorite LGS (Bradis *cough*) on a couple of their older Turk Mausers... can't really tell what's cosmoline and what's corrosion. Please note that I am a happy Bradis customer and would recommend them to anyone, but I was just not sure about the Turks that I looked at. :) If they would let me bring in a cleaning kit and run it down the bore, I would...

surprised that they wouldnt let you. probably if they only had one they would have let you. since they had those in surplus they didnt want to waste their time letting you do it becasue they think that you would want to do it to all of them until you found the right one. Then if they let you do it others would want to do it to.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The philosophy of how others perceive cleanliness of your guns extends to past the firearms area.
    I even try to make sure my vehicles are very clean when I am taking them for service, repairs or tires, (to say nothing of detailing before trading or selling). If people who make their living using their hands, working on your stuff, sense that you don't respect your possesions, do you think that they will? :dunno: Just something to cogitate upon.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    surprised that they wouldnt let you. probably if they only had one they would have let you. since they had those in surplus they didnt want to waste their time letting you do it becasue they think that you would want to do it to all of them until you found the right one. Then if they let you do it others would want to do it to.

Yeah. I see your point. Then, where would they have been?? They'd have had an entire shop full of spotlessly clean rifles!!!

Top Bottom