• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I grew up being taught to take care of your gear.....

If I shoot it - I clean it.

I grew up being taught not to do things just because. If there's a good reason to clean gear I do it. If it's just a matter of cleaning a piece of equipment because it meets someone's idea of aesthetics then I don't bother. I don't buy the "clean gear lasts longer" theory either. That's true if the dirt is abrasive, but in the case of soot, lead, and copper fouling, that "dirt" actually acts as a lubricant and protects bearing surfaces. Even if it didn't I have probably 50,000 rounds through a Buckmark, and it doesn't feel loose, nor has the accuracy noticeably degraded since I bought it. It gets some clp once in a while.

Now, if I were rolling around on the ground with it, or using it in a high grit environment, I'd clean it more. If the barrel were getting so fouled as to obstruct, I'd clean it more.

I clean equipment when it needs it to remain reliably functional. In the case of my EDC guns they collect lint and grit as I carry them, so they get cleaned more.

In my mind taking care of your gear does not equal "making it shiny and spotless." It means making sure it will do the job you ask of it and not wear it out needlessly. If you like your gear to be squeaky clean that's fine, but don't try to justify your fetish by looking down upon those who don't share it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I clean all of my guns after every range trip regardless of caliber. I never put a dirty gun back in my safe. I am kind of picky, but I cant stand having dirty guns. If I shoot it I clean it. Heck I even clean my AK after range trips.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I hope Rhino doesn't see this thread. ;)

I clean mine less than I used to but still more than I probably need to.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I just spent the last 2 days cleaning guns. I try to keep them all clean. Some won't run dirty. Some don't care. It's as much about me liking to tear them down and clean them as it is about performing maintenance.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    you should be able to strip all guns and cleaning them each time i shoot them gives me the chance to freshen my skills on each one. i would never put a dirty gun up for more then a day or two. i don't care if it fires dirty or not it gets cleaned.

devildawg00311

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Se Indy/Wanamaker
    I always clean mine but Im a bit of a neat freak. I dont clean then when on a qual range. My personal experience is they shoot better with a lil grime. I shoot it all week long then clean it when done.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Rimfire powder is he cheapest and dirtiest powder there is, especially .22 cal.I can't tell you how many guns I have bought from my local pawn shop for $50 because they won't shoot,FTF or FTE.Their loss is my gain.Neglecting any gun regardless of caliber is stupid.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I clean my 22lr every 250 rounds or so. I run CCI thru it mostly but if I run the cheap bricks thru it I have to clean more frequently.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I clean mine the same way as the centerfires, after every shooting session. Field strip and USMC style except no metal brushes. If I get them wet or muddy, I detail strip and clean 'em.

I use Hoppe's #9 since ~ 1957 to present, and Breakfree CLP from late 1970 to 2002. Now I rarely use Hoppe's. Been using Ballistol for cleaning and as an oil for everything since ~ 2002 and far prefer it.

EDIT: By USMC style I mean: every day until the first patch through the barrel/chamber comes out clean, except for oil maybe.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    When I was a kid I would clean my mdl 60 after every day of shooting. Now I only clean them when they begin to jam. One of my 10/22s will start to stovepipe really bad when it gets dirty and the mdl 60 will sometime stovepipes, sometimes FTE when it gets too dirty....

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    I have heard both ways. I clean My 22's after every time I shoot it. I feel that if I take care of it it will last longer. So I feel that just running a wet patch and then some dry patches then a bore snake to finish will do the trick. :ar15:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Over the summer I ran about 2,000 .22 through my marlin 60 in 2 weekends of shooting. When it wouldn't fire I'd just pour some oil in it and it was ready to go again. Cleaned it a few weeks later when I felt like it.

My EDC is the only one I keep spotless the rest are oiled to keep going and cleaned when I get around to doing it.:):

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    If I shoot it, I clean it and that usually means very thoroughly. I actually enjoy cleaning them though as it is some alone time that alows me to concentrate with a dip of skoal out in the garage.

Top Bottom