• What's your water preference?

• Total voters

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    It seems to be almost an insult to offer someone a glass of water from the faucet anymore. I can't remember the last time I've had water from a fountain or faucet. When people come to the house or my office, we have bottled water for them. ?

You're a better host than I am. I drink straight tap water. We had family in town last weekend for my boys second birthday and they all bought their own pop since we're a water only household. Bottled water only makes sense on hikes, conferences et cetera where portability and disposability are important.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I have minor issues with Indy water on the SW side. I still drink it, but its pretty damn hard. Not that I care enough to waste the $$ on a softener. I can deal with the crust. the various faucets, valves, etc that I burn through still is cheaper than the softener costs. (dont get soap scum when you use detergent based cleaners instead)

THIS! I laugh at many people who swear by the bottled "drinking water" over tap. distilled or spring is one thing, but drinking? Dude, they literally bottle the water that the municipal system delivers to them. If you are on crappy well water that has lots of iron and other crap in it OK. I understand. But city dwellers who drink the Nestle, etc. crap are just wasting their money.

An interesting watch on bottled water:
    Penn & Teller Bull**** On Water - YouTube (Id link it as a video but I dont want the mods coming down on me for the text in the preview)
    You beat me to the Penn & Teller Bull**** thing. On the other hand I have family who live in West Virginia and there was a recent chemical leak that compromised much of the region's tap water.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Penn & Teller nails it.

I drank well water growing up.
    City water now.
    At work, bottled water. But that's because of the signs on the tap water that say, Non-Potable water. Washing only.
    The pipes at the mill are allowing arsenic into the water. Shower and washing dishes only.

As with people and any product you can name, there are varying degrees of quality. Not all bottled water is created equally. City water, being full of chlorine and fluoride is a no go for us, period, unless and until it is filtered, preferably by R/O. Bottled will be either R/O or distilled.

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well water from a deep cold well and ran through a three filter R-O system. Cleanest and clearest around. I tote it from my old home because there is no way you can drink Greenwoods tap water,it stinks.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I only drink bottled water. No particular reason, really. A 24 pack is like $3.50 and I like the taste. It's pretty much all I drink unless I have a glass of milk in the morning or some coffee, maybe the occasional soda with a meal (drink soda maybe once or twice a week now) unless I'm having the odd beer or whiskey. (Also, never really drink alcohol... a six pack lasts me a month or so).

I don't dislike my local tap water, but I'm just used to the bottled water taste.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    We have a water softener then a secondary filtration system we got when my son was born. It has a 2-gallon tank under my kitchen sink, and I use the heck out of it. Nasty tasting city water otherwise.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    We had well water that was almost perfect. Now on city water and it does a number on the filter in the fridge. I still drink it because we're all going to die someday and it seems like everything gives us cancer. If the water tastes fine, I'll drink it. If it stinks, probably not unless I'm really thirsty. If the water is really bad and I'm needing a drink, I'll pull a Bear Grylls but I usually filter it through a wool sock I've been wearing for at least 24 hours.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I drink well water and love it. No filters at all. Straight from the ground to the tap. The best way to drink it is straight from the hose on a hot summer day. Nothing is better then that.

All filtered/purified/bottled water is disgusting. I only drink it if I have to, and I hate it the whole time. It is all gross.

And if you come to our house, you are drinking well water from the tap, or you just aren't drinking any water because that's all we have and all we will ever have.

NO purple at all intended or implied.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    years and years ago... I was working with some INDOT fellers up in the Kouts / Hebron / Demotte area.

One of those guys mentioned that his well was like 7' deep - still only in the sand. He lived just off a highway next to an agricultural field.

While sand really is a fine filter for groundwater - having a 7' deep well next to a field would still be a no-go for me. Sheesh. Bet he never bothered to get his well water tested...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    years and years ago... I was working with some INDOT fellers up in the Kouts / Hebron / Demotte area.

One of those guys mentioned that his well was like 7' deep - still only in the sand. He lived just off a highway next to an agricultural field.

While sand really is a fine filter for groundwater - having a 7' deep well next to a field would still be a no-go for me. Sheesh. Bet he never bothered to get his well water tested...

Sand is a really fine filter for biologicals. Won't do much for chemicals.

Our backup well (we collect rainwater from the roof) is augered down 22' in the sand aquifer and is in our basement. Difference is we own the entire aquifer which sources and it's all forest.

Since we have the capability through the lab, we've tested our well water for biologicals (nothing harmful) and ran it through GC-MS and got the expected mineral results with no anomalies.

We chlorinate the holding tanks to kill the pathogens from the roof and our drinking water is run through a charcoal filter.

BRbaseball34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cannelburg
    We are looking a building down on our land and the land was strip mined all around me. I'm a little concerned about the well water having to much sulfur in it. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think sulfur would have more to do with the existing mineral content in the rocks where the water comes from. Here locally we have lots of natural sulfur springs.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Drink water from the tap up here. Tastes just fine. I know where Mishawaka gets their water (from my volunteer FF days) and I can vouch for the source.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom