Do you have to have your license on you when carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You be the judge.

vinny.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They make holsters with a display window thingy for your licence/permit.

184919_ts.jpg

Not that having to reach for it so close to your gun would be the best idea when stopped by a police officer.

Not that having to reach for it so close to your gun would be the best idea when stopped by a police officer

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Real life scenario: Do you think she'd drop her phone in order to draw her gun? (Note: Not just her specifically, either. This can be said for ANY of us. Are you/we trained to drop what's in our hands in order to draw and potentially use a gun?)

nope. I practiced doing drills at a class and forgot to drop it. It’s harder than you think. Actually now that I think of it, it was my pepper spray trainer I didn’t drop.

(You can practice with one of the plastic ammo trays in the 50 round boxes of ammo. It’s about the same size as an iPhone)

Not that having to reach for it so close to your gun would be the best idea when stopped by a police officer

Worst. Product. Ever.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and having your gun in the glove box on top of your registration is equally a bad place. (Found out the hard way)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In Defensive Handgun 2 I had an critical malfunction on the firing line so I raised mu hand and asked for a cease fire. It was not until I was driving home that I realized that I could have dropped it and pulled my BUG.

Later we did the drop the phone drill.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    In Defensive Handgun 2 I had an critical malfunction on the firing line so I raised mu hand and asked for a cease fire. It was not until I was driving home that I realized that I could have dropped it and pulled my BUG.

Later we did the drop the phone drill.

Law enforcement training has also changed. When I started in 1981 (yeah, I'm old) it was raise your hand on the firing line if you had a malfunction.

Somewhere between 1981 and 2014 the training changed to perform your malfunction drills and sort out the missing shots or blown time after the string of fire.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    nope. I practiced doing drills at a class and forgot to drop it. It’s harder than you think. Actually now that I think of it, it was my pepper spray trainer I didn’t drop.

This reminds me of a story I read some years back on another forum. Coincidently the guy was from Indiana. He was carrying a bag of groceries with his right arm when he opened the door to his apartment and came face to face with a burglar. He shifted the groceries to his left arm and then drew his pistol. Didn't occur to him until much later that he should have just dropped the bag. Moms usually do good job teaching us to not drop important things. :)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I actually tried to clear the malfunction, but the gun was broken and I had to remove it from the firing line and fix it. Too poor to carry a spare.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Real life scenario: Do you think she'd drop her phone in order to draw her gun? (Note: Not just her specifically, either. This can be said for ANY of us. Are you/we trained to drop what's in our hands in order to draw and potentially use a gun?)

I know I will drop just about anything if I need to drop it, including a relatively expensive but currently inert pistol, when I need to have a functional gun in my hands. I've dropped all kinds of objects during stages in matches and during drills in training classes.

Given that, a lot of people, especially younger people, have an unhealthy level of attachment to their mobile phone. Some are unlikely to drop their phone regardless of the potential consquences.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :n00b: ​Priorities! :n00b:

The holdup man said, "Your money or your life!"

After a moment he repeated, "Your money or your life!"

Benny Kubelski said, "I"M THINLING!"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Following the rules" it what helps a society of individuals function.
    Without them, there would be no "society".

But...

That being said, there are downsides as well.

1) https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html The Milgram Experiment
    An older experiment, where volunteers electrically shock other volunteers, under orders from someone in a labcoat. They were told it was to test/improve memory. In reality, to test obedience. The ones being shocked, were really acting.
    Though, there has been recent disagreement with the experiment, in conclusions, methodology, etc.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...psychologys-most-infamous-experiments/384913/ Rethinking One of Psychology's Most Infamous Experiments

2) I can't find this one. There have been so many experiments, many have not been put on the internet. But this one I remember had 2 lines, labeled male and female (or men/women, I don't remember).
    Anyway, actors then stood in the lines, making them different lengths. For instance, no one in the men's line, with a long women's line, or vice versa. Then subjects would go stand in line.
    People followed the signs, mostly. even though there was no reason to.

3) As much as everyone thinks they are a leader, or ethical, did you ever notice that they will show people passing by someone in obvious distress, till someone helps, then it seems everyone is helping. Car on the side of the road in flames, no one does anything. Suddenly a guy runs up to the car and starts to help. Then someone sees he needs help, then assists. Then more. But it took that first person.

4) People are sometimes "trapped", because they wouldn't break a society "norm" such as climbing over a table or booth. They will try to use a walkway.

And many more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know I will drop just about anything if I need to drop it, including a relatively expensive but currently inert pistol, when I need to have a functional gun in my hands. I've dropped all kinds of objects during stages in matches and during drills in training classes.

Given that, a lot of people, especially younger people, have an unhealthy level of attachment to their mobile phone. Some are unlikely to drop their phone regardless of the potential consquences.

Well, you've given it though ahead of time, and then practiced it.
    Many don't think about it, and don't practice it.
    When they don't drop it, it may not be due to "unwillingness" so much as the brain only has so much processing power, and in an emergency most of that processing power is tied up with unfamiliar "routines".

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always have mine with me, even though it's not required.
    I also have it on my phone as well as my driver's license.

Figure it may head off the hassle of not having it with me,
    then having the police "swipe" my handgun from me "just to be sure",
    and I have to go through a truckload of BS getting it back.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Thanks everyone...

She doesn't have pockets her walking outfit so she likes the idea of the photos on her cell phone (which she carries in her hand)..

I think you plan to, since photos is plural, but it's worth pointing out that pictures of both cards are important since the drivers license provides evidence that the LTCH is actually hers and she didn't just snap a pic of someone else's or find one online.

Also, before panties get bunched and we have to break out the salad forks, I'm saying this from a common sense, convenience, calm whatever situation comes up standpoint; not making a legal stance that they are required while walking.

Top Bottom