• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Like I said, if it's spoken, I agree they sound the same. If it's typed out, it's just wrong. That's one of the reasons I refuse to use speech-to-text software. By the time I get done correcting what it "thought" I said, I could have (not "of") just typed it out.

As I age verbal laziness irritates me more and more. My current nerve grater is people pronouncing it "fer" instead of "for".

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    But where is the line drawn? When describing teens/early 20's of unknown age, who's a boy and who's a man? Easier to just say male. Same for girls/woman, of course.

Like I said, I dont have a problem calling some 18 year old's men and other 30 year old's boys. Everyone has their own line in the sand.
    I just dont envision myself or any of my friends saying, hey look at those males over there, its either boys or men.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    "Enjoy" - I assume they mean to say "I hope you enjoy it", but it always sounds like they are giving me an order when it is reduced to a single word. Sorry, but I'll decide if I enjoy it or not.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For me it’s “vetran”! The people here totally believe the “e” and “r” are silent. It sounds like a former soldier who ran from a battle.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It makes me cringe when men refer to women as females because it sexualizes them. A woman is a person; female is her gender.

You might want to try to get over that one. It is part of the English language that 'female' as a noun refers to a person of the booby persuasion.
    Look it up in a good dictionary (not one written by a libtard since they are completely lost when it comes to gender stuff)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What about Boo?

In that same vein, I hate "hubby", not exactly sure why, but it always grates on my nerves.

And my wife called me "baby" in bed, I nearly left right then... :xmad: ... but I stayed for another thirty seconds, then left to make a sammich. ;)
    [video=youtube;Tn-qE-h7s84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-qE-h7s84[/video]

That video was pretty good until the vocals started.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Yes, nearly always used incorrectly.
    Also
    Shrapnel has lost its true historical meaning.

Pelase explain - I'm not aware of this.

Shrapnel was a specific artillery round developed by a Royal Artillery Lieutenant in thee 19th Century, using smaller balls or grapeshot within the round, detonated by a time fuze to disperse the payload as an anti-personnel measure. It was an improvement over the prior grapeshot round, as the projectile was intact until it was near its target. Grapeshot or canister rounds would begin to disperse just beyond the cannon's muzzle, and were less effective.

Over time, the term "shrapnel" has come to mean the exploded bits and pieces of artillery rounds, where are more accurately described as "fragmentation."

As a long-time Field Artillery guy, this is a pet peeve of mine.

However, the common usage today is such that "shrapnel" includes fragmentation, and I guess I have to get with the program. :):

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    9Sj7PpA.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Like I said, I dont have a problem calling some 18 year old's men and other 30 year old's boys. Everyone has their own line in the sand.
    I just dont envision myself or any of my friends saying, hey look at those males over there, its either boys or men.

The improper use of an apostrophe....:xmad:

"Guitar Lesson's", "Yard Sale's" for example.

"Ya" or "Yup".
    Is "Yes" that difficult?

Anyone that says the letters "O-M-G"...

Yes. Apostrophe=possessive. No apostrophe=plural
    Boys=more than one boy.
    Boy's________=the boy owns_______.

If you are using an apostrophe, ask yourself "am I referring to this noun's "something", or are there more than one?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes. Apostrophe=possessive. No apostrophe=plural
    Boys=more than one boy.
    Boy's________=the boy owns_______.

If you are using an apostrophe, ask yourself "am I referring to this noun's "something", or are there more than one?

Don't forget they're used in contractions, too. :stickpoke:
    These are the good years, INGO is here to please.
    CameraMonkey writes post missing apostrophes.
    Life is flowing like ketchup on your peas.

Ketchup, for the good times

Ketchup. Ketchup.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/389351-psa-cant.html

Top Bottom