• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've never kept spare parts for my guns, other than when I keep original parts when I add upgrades, or when I get two of something when I only needed the one.

Now I'm going to make an effort to determine what I need for each of my most important guns and get some stuff ordered. Springs seems like the most likely start, along with maybe firing pins, magazine catches, ejectors, maybe assorted pins.

I have some redundancy with most of my calibers, but it seems to make sense to have a spare parts inventory, especially for those parts that aren't overly expensive.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I always keep any parts from upgrades and any spare parts (recoil springs, etc) in labeled baggies. Makes it easy to identify when selling, maintaining, and fixing a gun.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I always keep a spare firing pin, extractor, magazine release and recoil spring and all other springs if possible. I keep my EDC spare parts in my GHB bag. Its always good to know how to replace those parts and be familiar with your guns design. I know some who have no idea about the operation and design specifics let alone actually breaking down the gun beyond field strip but Im a dork but to each their own:D

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When possible my rifles have a butt pack that contains a firing pin, broken shell extractor, oil, cleaning kit, earplugs, and sometimes a firing pin spring. Workshop cabinet has most of an entire pistol for spares, plus springs for the rifles. Any upgraded pistol spring have been retained, as have parts from any damaged mags.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Whenever I replace a hammer and sear with tool steel parts, change springs or spring housings, upgrade sights, fit match barrels/bushings, change screws, grips, etc. I put all the old parts in bags with a label. I throw rifle barrels in a bucket, stocks in boxes. I guess I have a lot of spare parts that would work for breakdown repair.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a pile of parts picked up over the years, still bid on box of parts at auctions or buy them at shows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have all the original parts/pieces from the upgrades to every current hand gun in the safe plus spring/pin kits.
    Same with the rifles.
    Pain in the butt to keep track of.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I thought about keeping some parts for my ARs, but then I collected enough parts to mostly build another gun. So now, I guess I have a spare parts gun, that would be cannibalized, if necessary. I have a spare bolt/carrier group, though, and will probably pick up a spare trigger group.

As for my pistols, I'll probably pick up spare RSA's for my Glocks, but that will be about it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I keep spare parts for my Glocks and ARs. In fact I have two lower parts kit and the kit they have with all the springs. I have two of them and two of the small parts kits. Then I have four rifles that one could become a parts gun. As far as the bolt guns go I have a extra trigger and that is abut it for them. I don't keep any parts for my revolvers. I should pick up springs for them. I don't have any parts for my 1911 or my Browning High power. I guess if they brake and I can't get them to a gun smith to fix them I will have to retire them.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    No spare parts for me. I would just keep a spare gun or 3. In my case anyway taking much of anything apart seems to be risky for me. Other than basic cleaning and oiling. If it works don't mess with it has saved me a lot of trouble. I have resisted even taking the side plate off revolvers. I am interested and would love to do it if I had a qualified person watching over my shoulder. (dang springs anyway).

Morgan88

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I always have an unused lower parts kit on hand. I also have 2 extra firing pins for the ARs, a recoil spring assembly for my G23, and any original parts from whatever guns I have upgraded. I will probably add more/other parts in the future.

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Spare Parts for weapons and mags are necessary in any environment. In a disaster or survival situation, spare parts are ESSENTIAL!!!! You may not be able to get to a gunsmith to fix your primary weapon(s), I think everyone should learn to fix their own, that way you become more self-sufficient... :yesway::yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My primary go to weapons are Glocks and ARs. Spare AR parts keep turning into new ARs, but aside from the fact I like my Glocks and ARs, a bonus is the large interchangeability for parts in each platform, so my extra guns are in essence spare parts. Though I do tend to stay ahead on springs for any pistol. When it is time to order a set the first time I order two.

The ONLY reason I sold my M&P 15-22 was because when it blew the extractor, S&W would not sell this simple little part, instead requiring the entire gun to be sent in. To be fair it was on their dime and they fixed it free but I was out the gun for a month and this is not acceptable for a shtf situation.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Spare firing pins and a set of springs. Some firearms I may keep extras of easily lost screws or pins.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My primary go to weapons are Glocks and ARs. Spare AR parts keep turning into new ARs, but aside from the fact I like my Glocks and ARs, a bonus is the large interchangeability for parts in each platform, so my extra guns are in essence spare parts. Though I do tend to stay ahead on springs for any pistol. When it is time to order a set the first time I order two.

The ONLY reason I sold my M&P 15-22 was because when it blew the extractor, S&W would not sell this simple little part, instead requiring the entire gun to be sent in. To be fair it was on their dime and they fixed it free but I was out the gun for a month and this is not acceptable for a shtf situation.

Glocks & ARs here as well. There are 7 Glocks in the house. We both shoot the M&P a little quicker for the same accuracy and both like the feel better. I've been shooting the Glock since the model 23 was new so it's like pointing a finger for me. The M&P is just a little more comfortable.

All the Glocks are gen 3 with the exception of a gen 2 19. I've made it a point to stock parts for them for a long time. Some of the spare parts came from upgrades. I have 9 trigger bars in the parts bin. All of them are grooved triggers because I hate the feel and replace it with the smooth trigger as soon as I can. Same thing with slide stops, trigger springs & disconnectors. I like the extended slide stop. I replace the 5 lbs trigger spring with the 8 lbs NY spring and the 5 lbs disconnector with the 3.5 lbs one. All factory parts, none are aftermarket.

We have 2 Storm Lake barrels for two of the 19's. Got them to shoot lead, then I started powder coating. Extra parts that weren't replacements are recoil springs, mag springs, followers, base plates, strikers & springs, channel liners, spring cups including a couple factory marine cups, slide take down levers, locking blocks for the 19s, extra pin sets, pretty much every part that can break or get lost. Most of them came from KokomoDave when he was doing the 1500 shows years ago. The others came mainly from Lone Wolf once he stopped.

Pretty much the same for the AR's. Full set of tools, extra firing pins, BCG with several bolts, extra furnature, gas rods, pins, etc. Most of the parts are from BCM. I'm lacking on barrels, I haven't stocked any of those yet. I'll probably do that this year.

I really like the M&P put it's a pain in the butt to get any spare parts for it. I managed to get a couple but no where near what I want. Smith makes it difficult and that has kept me from purchasing any more M&Ps. I'll keep trying and go to other places on the rare occasion they are in stock.

Top Bottom