• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is "Classic Shell" still available to download? I think that's what I did when I was forced to go to Win 10. Makes it "feel" a little more like Win 7. I'm completely used to it now since it's on our work laptops and my own now.

I used to use classic shell. Now I dont. Win10 has come back around to a start menu similar to the old way due to massive user backlash. Its not the same, but its at least workable. I no longer use CS.

Just remember, if in doubt, tap the windows key on your keyboard (or click the windows icon where the start menu used to be) and start typing what you want. so for example if you hit [win key] then type control you'll see the control panel icon show up.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Windows 10 at work. I get by with it but don't like it. Even if I could modify it on my own (admin rights) I don't see an advantage to it. At home, this laptop has Ubuntu. I got it second hand from a family member and the hard drive was trashed. Since the factory recovery stick would not work on a new drive I just went this way . It's the second time that I have used non-Windows and I can get by with it but I don't need much beyond email, web, netflix (which did not work on a previous version). The old desktop has some issues right now but if I can get it back on the net I'll probably upgrade it to the free W10.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What's not to like???? It runs. Several I know are MS haters, anything MS is bad. When I ask them for the reasons blank stares, you think I asked a liberal why they hate Trump. IMHO, the cause of people having issues is not enough RAM

I don't like the UI. It's better than it was when released, but still a schizo interface since it wanted to be everything to everyone and failed at that. Also don't like apps on a desktop, as they aren't needed. Apps are for tablets and phones. I also don't like that you can't customize it as much as you could previous versions of Windows, I don't like that you can't not deploy updates until you know they are stable, etc. I worked computer support for 16 years, most of that supporting Windows and I've always been an ardent supporter of Microsoft, but everything since Windows 7 has just been pretty MEH to me. BTW, plenty of RAM on my desktop with 24GB on Windows 10 Pro.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Nobody who has ever run Linux 'likes' Windows afterwards. Windows is simply something to be tolerated from occasional necessity because some things simply are never ported elsewhere.

Yes. I have a dual-boot system and curse every time I have to reboot to Windows for something (once/month or two).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I used to use classic shell. Now I dont. Win10 has come back around to a start menu similar to the old way due to massive user backlash. Its not the same, but its at least workable. I no longer use CS.

Just remember, if in doubt, tap the windows key on your keyboard (or click the windows icon where the start menu used to be) and start typing what you want. so for example if you hit [win key] then type control you'll see the control panel icon show up.

Yeah, now that I've gotten used to it, it's much more user friendly than it was the first time I tried using it. The "start menu" deal was a big improvement.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Love win 10 . Something to remember is everything is super searchable. Need to open some software or an app? Just hit the start button and start typing what you want. Save you lots of time.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Yes. I have a dual-boot system and curse every time I have to reboot to Windows for something (once/month or two).

The closest I have is a Win10 VM (Virtualbox) on my linux machine. I have to use it for work but I won't touch it at home. I prefer my computers to be stable and secure.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'M PERFECTLY happy with Windows 7 64 bit Professional.
    My better half has Windows 10 on her computer.
    I hate it, because in general it's a lot more hassle to do things with it and find things.
    I'm also concerned that if I switch to Windows 10 on my computer, that drivers for peripherals won't be available.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Win 10 is a schizo operating system. There are a lot of positive things to the OS, like upgraded security and better utilities (like task manager improvements) and a lot of downsides like forcing apps and mobile features on people using desktops. Especially considering that MS has failed in the mobile arena, except for the surface line of devices, I would love to see them allow for a method to turn off the mobile features for people on desktops without a touchscreen. Otherwise, eh, it's tolerable. Honestly, if it weren't for occasional light gaming, I'd move to Linux full time. Oh and don't even get me started on privacy concerns and Cortona! :rolleyes:

BTW, a little known fact is that the upgrade is still free if you have a valid copy of Win 7. I just upgraded my main desktop for free yesterday.

Huh? I don't seem that have that problem and I've been using W10 for like 4 years now. (free upgrade when it first rolled out). It had bugs but has been fine ever since conderring I game a lot.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I hate Microsoft Edge (and Bing). Need to find a way to delete or disable it, or at the very least, make it not the default browser/search engine.

Didn't like it before but it's been fine. Bing search points brings rewards (got $75 gift card for redeeming search points).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What's not to like???? It runs. Several I know are MS haters, anything MS is bad. When I ask them for the reasons blank stares, you think I asked a liberal why they hate Trump. IMHO, the cause of people having issues is not enough RAM

Granted Win10 Home comes preload with apps that are memory hogs. Bought a 4 Gig Backup LT for the club, out of the box it wasn't useable, turned off MS Store processes and McAfee and it runs fine now.

To be fair, McAfee is not anything that MS puts in the OS, but rather something that your OEM for your PC decided to put on the machine because they likely got paid to do so. Windows Defender is the native AV on Win 10 and it has performed well for me, (the enterprise version of Defender has been named magic quadrant by Gartner)

I hate Microsoft Edge (and Bing). Need to find a way to delete or disable it, or at the very least, make it not the default browser/search engine.

Edge is being phased out, but in the meantime, you can open the start menu, type "default" to go to "Default App Settings", and change the browser to IE instead of Edge. Or obviously Chrome/Firefox are fine, too.

As GPIA7R stated, easily changed, and Edge is being replaced by a new version of Edge based on Chromium (not really being phased out per se) that said, I prefer FireFox myself.

I don't like the UI. It's better than it was when released, but still a schizo interface since it wanted to be everything to everyone and failed at that. Also don't like apps on a desktop, as they aren't needed. Apps are for tablets and phones. I also don't like that you can't customize it as much as you could previous versions of Windows, I don't like that you can't not deploy updates until you know they are stable, etc. I worked computer support for 16 years, most of that supporting Windows and I've always been an ardent supporter of Microsoft, but everything since Windows 7 has just been pretty MEH to me. BTW, plenty of RAM on my desktop with 24GB on Windows 10 Pro.

You don't have to use Apps, you can install anything you want generally unless you are running Windows 10 in S mode, I believe. Apps was really an attempt to make the applications loaded on a Win 10 machine have some vetting of the code by the app store process. It just did not catch on for PCs.

I'M PERFECTLY happy with Windows 7 64 bit Professional.
    My better half has Windows 10 on her computer.
    I hate it, because in general it's a lot more hassle to do things with it and find things.
    I'm also concerned that if I switch to Windows 10 on my computer, that drivers for peripherals won't be available.

I have not had a single peripheral that worked with Win 7 have an issue on 10, and I've been using 10 since the beta was released. I have older machines with older peripherals and have nto had any issues.

dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    Win 10 is a schizo operating system. There are a lot of positive things to the OS, like upgraded security and better utilities (like task manager improvements) and a lot of downsides like forcing apps and mobile features on people using desktops. Especially considering that MS has failed in the mobile arena, except for the surface line of devices, I would love to see them allow for a method to turn off the mobile features for people on desktops without a touchscreen. Otherwise, eh, it's tolerable. Honestly, if it weren't for occasional light gaming, I'd move to Linux full time. Oh and don't even get me started on privacy concerns and Cortona! :rolleyes:

BTW, a little known fact is that the upgrade is still free if you have a valid copy of Win 7. I just upgraded my main desktop for free yesterday.
    Linux is good,but i prefer Windows,i can only get to know it slowly, in fact, it is not bad.As the Windows upgrade,all i can say,take it seriously if your are thinking of upgrading.

dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    Works fine for me. I've been on 10 since it was available. Best laptop OS from Microsoft.

Yeah, they moved everything. But, most of the "old school" controls are still there if you dig for them. Cortana is a joke, so I have that as disabled as it will get. "Apps" vs. full blown software seem to be a swing and a miss.

Not saying it is an awesome OS. Just the best MS OS for laptops.
    I am glad to receive your reply,Cortana doesn't work on my computer,and i have not even installed any apps for my pc,i am wonderring which apps is must for Windows 10 users.

dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    We recently had a big Win 10 "update" (1809 I think). Took almost 2 hours to download/install and it played havoc with a few of our existing applications, resulting in more updates to fix the update. :rolleyes: It's like they (our IT systems guys) don't do any testing before pushing this crap out to the general public. And yet they don't upgrade our browser. I'm constantly getting messages from various websites saying, "Your browser version is outdated and should be updated." Well no **** Sherlock... but we're not allowed to update anything on our own.
    This reminds me of what my classmates said before - I will never update any more easily.Perhaps he meant that he would never update Windows 10 again :):

dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    Edge is being phased out, but in the meantime, you can open the start menu, type "default" to go to "Default App Settings", and change the browser to IE instead of Edge. Or obviously Chrome/Firefox are fine, too.
    Chrome Google is the default browser engine.Firefox is also works well.

dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    I've heard my classmate say that his Windows 10 ask him to change his login password every month/two months,which makes him frustrated because he sometimes forgets or confuses them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Huh? I don't seem that have that problem and I've been using W10 for like 4 years now. (free upgrade when it first rolled out). It had bugs but has been fine ever since conderring I game a lot.

To which problem are you referring?

You don't have to use Apps, you can install anything you want generally unless you are running Windows 10 in S mode, I believe. Apps was really an attempt to make the applications loaded on a Win 10 machine have some vetting of the code by the app store process. It just did not catch on for PCs.

To be fair, most of the built in utilities, like photos, are apps, as are most of the settings screens. What happened was MS saw Apple's walled garden and wanted a piece of the pie, so they built their next Windows around a similar concept. Despite all their planning, they forgot they weren't Apple... :):

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've heard my classmate say that his Windows 10 ask him to change his login password every month/two months,which makes him frustrated because he sometimes forgets or confuses them.
    And I heard the Indiana is going to get rid of Lifetime LTCHs. Seriously your friend did something wrong, I been running Win10 since they offer the upgrade, never had to change my login password, unless of course I want to change it.

Top Bottom