• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I suppose there are/is still a use for desktop and laptop computers for business and gamers but I no longer even turn my computer on. I've been able to do everything I need to do on my phone.
    There is just so much a computer/phone can do these days.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Reason being: Windows 7 is losing support 1/2020 (unless Microsoft extends it again). As an IT group, we have to have supported OS to work with.
    Rolling out all new PCs at work. Got my new Win10 PC a couple weeks ago. A little annoying initially but not a big deal. I can start my finance programs and Excel and do my job and then my interaction with Win 10 is over for the day. The only people pitching a fit are the ones that can’t figure out how to work a stapler or pair of scissors, much less a computer.

9019%20i%20welcome%20change.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've heard my classmate say that his Windows 10 ask him to change his login password every month/two months,which makes him frustrated because he sometimes forgets or confuses them.

That's not a feature or aspect of Win 10 that I am aware of, even when using a Microsoft account.

To which problem are you referring?

To be fair, most of the built in utilities, like photos, are apps, as are most of the settings screens. What happened was MS saw Apple's walled garden and wanted a piece of the pie, so they built their next Windows around a similar concept. Despite all their planning, they forgot they weren't Apple... :):

Except, MS never locked it down so that you couldn't use apps from other sources... like Apple always has, at least on its iOS devices.
    MS packages in a browser and gets an anti trust suit filed in the EU, while Apple can do no wrong. That said, Apple is no longer the king of the hill nor anything near cutting edge when it comes to mobile and definitely not when it comes to the personal computer, and let's not even talk cloud.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is a security setting buried in windows that requires passwords, decides how complex they need to be, how often they must be changed, etc. but that’s typically only used in secured corporate environments. Sounds like he turned this on somehow. Not sure how unless it’s a work pc. It’s not a setting end users can accidentally turn on.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And I heard the Indiana is going to get rid of Lifetime LTCHs. Seriously your friend did something wrong, I been running Win10 since they offer the upgrade, never had to change my login password, unless of course I want to change it.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I keep getting a notification pop-up saying "there is a problem with your Microsoft Account" blah, blah, blah. When I click on it, it doesn't say what the problem is other than "Your password may have changed" (it hasn't). I just ignore them now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is a security setting buried in windows that requires passwords, decides how complex they need to be, how often they must be changed, etc. but that’s typically only used in secured corporate environments. Sounds like he turned this on somehow. Not sure how unless it’s a work pc. It’s not a setting end users can accidentally turn on.

Understood, typically domain policy for password changes, but as you stated that's enterprise.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I keep getting a notification pop-up saying "there is a problem with your Microsoft Account" blah, blah, blah. When I click on it, it doesn't say what the problem is other than "Your password may have changed" (it hasn't). I just ignore them now.
    If you have not logged onto the machine for a while it will make you verify your Microsoft account (assuming this is just a personal machine setup to use a Microsoft (outlook.com or Hotmail.com) for the services that run under it such as One Drive or the Microsoft store, but it is not requiring a password change at that time, just may have you reenter existing password.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Except, MS never locked it down so that you couldn't use apps from other sources... like Apple always has, at least on its iOS devices.
    MS packages in a browser and gets an anti trust suit filed in the EU, while Apple can do no wrong. That said, Apple is no longer the king of the hill nor anything near cutting edge when it comes to mobile and definitely not when it comes to the personal computer, and let's not even talk cloud.

I realize you can still use full applications, just don't like having to use apps for things that used to be utilities. I know, first world problems. Totally agree about the Apple comments though ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Understood, typically domain policy for password changes, but as you stated that's enterprise.

If you have not logged onto the machine for a while it will make you verify your Microsoft account (assuming this is just a personal machine setup to use a Microsoft (outlook.com or Hotmail.com) for the services that run under it such as One Drive or the Microsoft store, but it is not requiring a password change at that time, just may have you reenter existing password.

I log in to the computer every day, but I don't use Outlook or Hotmail or the others you mentioned. Maybe that's it?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I log in to the computer every day, but I don't use Outlook or Hotmail or the others you mentioned. Maybe that's it?

My stepmother's computer has a similar issue. She got a new Win10 system and I set it up for her and she didn't want a connected account so we did a local account. A message pops up every time she boots her computer, saying there's a problem with her account. On my system that I upgraded, I don't have a similar issue, though I only have a local account as well... :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My stepmother's computer has a similar issue. She got a new Win10 system and I set it up for her and she didn't want a connected account so we did a local account. A message pops up every time she boots her computer, saying there's a problem with her account. On my system that I upgraded, I don't have a similar issue, though I only have a local account as well... :dunno:

That's exactly what I get. Just a minor annoyance, but it would be nice if it would just go away.

Aha! I think I may have a solution. If I go to the notification, and right click on it, an option pops up to either Go to Notifications Settings or Turn off Notifications for Settings. I'm gonna do the latter and see if it takes care of it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's exactly what I get. Just a minor annoyance, but it would be nice if it would just go away.

Aha! I think I may have a solution. If I go to the notification, and right click on it, an option pops up to either Go to Notifications Settings or Turn off Notifications for Settings. I'm gonna do the latter and see if it takes care of it.

:thumbsup:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'M PERFECTLY happy with Windows 7 64 bit Professional.
    My better half has Windows 10 on her computer.
    I hate it, because in general it's a lot more hassle to do things with it and find things.
    I'm also concerned that if I switch to Windows 10 on my computer, that drivers for peripherals won't be available.
    When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating system. It's likely that it also won't offer help and support if you encounter any problems.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I've heard my classmate say that his Windows 10 ask him to change his login password every month/two months,which makes him frustrated because he sometimes forgets or confuses them.

All he has to do is change the password change option. I find that most people that cuss Windows 10, cuss it out of ignorance of how to do stuff on the operating system. It doesn't come with a manual, so you have to go to docs.microsoft.com to read.

I advise new Win 10 users to drop $10 on a Win 10 Intro class on udemy. For $10 you get answers to millions of potential OS complaints.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Windows 10 was release in July of 2015. Windows 7 support dies in Jan 2020. If you haven't updated to Win 10 yet...you may have a uphill learning curve.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Looks like this did the trick. It hasn't bugged me all day since I turned off the notifications.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Windows 10 was release in July of 2015. Windows 7 dies in Jan 2020. If you haven't updated to Win 10 yet...you may have a uphill learning curve.

Windows 7 doesn't die in 2020. They simply stop sending you patches. The system will continue running fine.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Windows 7 doesn't die in 2020. They simply stop sending you patches. The system will continue running fine.

Likewise If I rip all the locks off of your doors the door will still open and shut, but your house can now be broken into with a simple turn of a knob. Without security patching you're much more open to malware and viruses.

Top Bottom